IGNORED

Right hand switch cluster

GordonB

My RH cluster is failing again; Again only when it's warm from the sun, this time at 10 mos. But one thing I've learned is it appears not to be the 'pushing the starter switch 4-5 times before it engages. It appears to be the length of time we are 'key on' (ie: turn key on wait 15-20 seconds and starter switch works first push) I wonder what this may be..........New switch on the way but still puzzling.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

That sounds like bad luck GordonB. First time I've heard on this board of a switch failing twice. When my 2012 switches were replaced during the so called "open campaign" (since BMW doesn't like the word recall), my dealer went into great detail to explain how the switch he replaced the OEM with was different in a number of ways and did not have the OEM flaws. Even a different manufacturer for the new switches. I'd be interested if you discover an explanation for the failure. I assume your new switch the first time around was the updated version and not from the original OEM pool.

Turns out it wan't the RH switch, I was so focused on it due to the previous failure. Seems to be the LH clutch switch. Still diagnosing the various symptoms to isolate the issue.