IGNORED

FART Check in

RandyShields

Hi Randy. You are very observant. In the description of the video I have this disclaimer which I think answers your question.:

This was part of a long day's ride and I'd turned off the camera - not even aware the Dragon was on our route. By the time I remembered the camera was off, and then found time to start it (!), we were about 2/3's along the way to Deals Gap.

In this clip there is one quick edit when we got stuck behind a car.

Edited by Indy Dave
I just like giving you a hard time. Great video!

You have that in common with my wife! Must have something to do with banking.... :wave:

Wow, a 10 minute video of riding the Tail of the Dragon !! That would be an average of 65 mph and set a new motorcycle land speed record. Or, maybe, the lovely video was edited down so it wasn't the entire 11 miles. I guess that is possible.

Randy,

Back in 1998 when the k1200 RS first cameout, a very accomplished rider I know (not on this board) in the pre internet era went up to deals gap wioth a new bike.

Radios were used.

The Gap was not the "Big Deal"sGap it is now.

Less traffic, higher speed limits. At one time it was 55 believe it or not.

So, different conditions, but a very different bike wrt wheelbase/engine braking/geometry com[ared to modern boxers, and a good bit heavier.

He ran the entire bottom to the store.

10 minute and slight change.

Again, a very, very accomplished rider. (He was only civilian asked to participate in several new model release rides in our land).

Won't ID him, but a good friend, and a true stroy with numerous witnesses, just someone who isn't into talking about this.

He did also compete in world class events and won beating factory teams as an individual with an old boxer he modified.

So, 10 minutes, yes doable.

Best wishes.

RandyShields

Thanks Tim. Cool info. I have no doubt. Didn't know that road was ever 55 mph. I have seen some 300 pound motards over the years doing sections very fast and do believe 10 minutes is possible for the entire ride. Just not by our guys on RTs getting stuck behind cars. My post was very tongue in cheek just because I like to zing Dave!

BTW, hope you are planning to bug out from Michael.

Randy

Randy, we're battening down. Both daughter and families in area so we're riding it out. Thanks.

Crossing fingers that you will be fine, but the Jake Rescue Krewe is standing by.

Best wishes.

This is a good look at a rider doing

Nice to have the road blocked off...no police...no traffic in your lane...crossing double yellows. Heck, it's as good as a track...unless you go off :dopeslap:

By no means an accomplished rider here but late one Sunday afternoon (light traffic) in '05-'06 I hopped on the '02 Boxer Cup to grab something at the grocery store in town. For some reason I decided to take the long way, at the end of the driveway I zeroed the trip meter, glanced at my watch and turned right on hwy 64. 59 miles, 58 minutes to the traffic light in Highlands, cheap entertainment : )

route

WARNING: Please...do not believe Roadscholar.

I don't doubt his mileage or time taken to travel it but he has misled those who have not ridden with him.

He is an accomplished rider...I can officially call him a liar now. :revit:

WARNING: Please...do not believe Roadscholar.

I don't doubt his mileage or time taken to travel it but he has misled those who have not ridden with him.

He is an accomplished rider...I can officially call him a liar now. :revit:

I side with Kinsley! If you need any more proof of roadscholar being a terrific and accomplished rider, look no further than here - by the time he left the house and took the long way to the store, we're still trying to leave the parking lot! :rofl:

Edited by Indy Dave
Lone_RT_rider

Best wishes.

This is a good look at a rider doing

Nice to have the road blocked off...no police...no traffic in your lane...crossing double yellows. Heck, it's as good as a track...unless you go off :dopeslap:

That video makes me miss my mountains....a lot.

So we'll see you in Sparta?

What we need to do is have them close the Dragon off for BMWSportTouring.com so we can shoot some video...I'm sure there are many here willing to be videographers or subjects :)

On 2nd thought, let's let the Hardleys and Hoons occupy the Dragon while we ride the great roads around it with less traffic and LEOs :bike:

So we'll see you in Sparta?

What we need to do is have them close the Dragon off for BMWSportTouring.com so we can shoot some video...I'm sure there are many here willing to be videographers or subjects :)

On 2nd thought, let's let the Hardleys and Hoons occupy the Dragon while we ride the great roads around it with less traffic and LEOs :bike:

Rode in your neck of the woods this past June. And I'll have to say (IMHO) the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains is one of the top roads in the country! :thumbsup:

The Cherohala is, for me, more fun than the dragon. I had the enjoyment of riding it when it was first opened, riding from Dallas to the RA rally at Fontana Village. Brand new pavement and I don't recall seeing another person, bike or car that day.

Indy Scott (6th gear) doesn't have much to report yet on his Triumph Trophy . While the dealership has been given the green light to tear in to the motor, nothings happened in that regard. They'd told Scott they would get into it last week, but apparently yesterday when he called, the word was they may get it on a lift today.

• 5 weeks later...

Update from Scott (6th gear) on the Triumph saga. "November update - Bolts on exhaust cam sprocket sheared off. No damage to pistons or valves but they don't know why the bolts sheared. Cam chain and tensioner we're fine. They have a WTF call into the triumph engineer. " So the shop is waiting to hear back from Triumph, then they need to work with the third party warranty company, then order parts, etc etc. Maybe by the time START rolls around, the bike will be finished and 6th gear can pick it up on the way down.

And we thought recounts took a long time. :dontknow:

6th gear received some good news today.

"Triumph diagnosed, warranty company approved, parts on order. The bolt that holds the exhaust cam sprocket sheared off (or backed out). No damage inside engine. They had never seen that before and triumph engineers had no explanation. Maybe a couple of weeks..... "

I offered that maybe he could join me after the first of the year on my annual Winter Trek to points South and meet up with the SECFF clan.

His response: Lots of options. May sell and leave it there. Won't know till later. Trade prices suck when your not buying anything and they don't have anything that suits my style. Don't think I want a Triumoh adventure bike.

He'd been talking about replacing the Triumph before this incident happened. So we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Scott has regained possession of his (formerly) wounded Triumph Trophy! The extended warranty picked up the tab, with our Hero having to shell out $80 quid for oils, etc. Hopefully, 6th gear will be joining us again in Sparta!

Cam on left sheared bolts, leading to bad things.

49671178_10215917885914649_4340085420638339072_n.jpg

49411154_10215917748831222_6535099032161746944_n.jpg

49259712_10215917747751195_3107001619921764352_n.jpg