IGNORED

Dash warning lights then dead bike

Cohiba54

2015 R1200RT +/- 19000 miles, 18000 mile service not done yet. Electronic start failed on first attempt but kicked off just fine on second attempt. That has happened a couple of times over the past two weeks, other than that no other problems on start up. On the way home, stop at a traffic light had several warning lights in the dash come on and the bike died. Tried electronic start but only had the small red light blink a few times and no computer check sequence.

Has anyone had this happen?

Also check your Key Fob battery. I'm on my third one on my 2015 RT

I always look at the fob battery check at startup and it was at half. But I'll replace it anyways and give it a try this evening.

I always look at the fob battery check at startup and it was at half. But I'll replace it anyways and give it a try this evening.

Hmm...

Didn't know you can check key fob battery level. Will have to dig out the manual.

Hmm...

Didn't know you can check key fob battery level. Will have to dig out the manual.

Yep there will be a "KEY" icon that lights up on the dash as the computer checks the bikes systems.

2015 R1200RT +/- 19000 miles, 18000 mile service not done yet. Electronic start failed on first attempt but kicked off just fine on second attempt. That has happened a couple of times over the past two weeks, other than that no other problems on start up. On the way home, stop at a traffic light had several warning lights in the dash come on and the bike died. Tried electronic start but only had the small red light blink a few times and no computer check sequence.

Start fails on first attempt, but starts on second happened to me a few times and then my battery died!

I don't think that your issue is the key fob, even though that red light that comes on when you try to restart indicates that the bike couldn't detect a fob. If the fob battery dies while you are riding, it would NOT shut down the engine. It just won't allow you to restart. Those warning lights and the fact that the engine shut down said that the problem is elsewhere. The fob battery being weak is just a coincident. As suggested, checking the ground connection is a great advice for the first thing to look at.