IGNORED

Loose side stand.

Torontonian

I measure 10 mm. across the recess for the big hex key. My manual (Clymer) shows it as #1 bolt in sidestand and centerstand exploded diagram. Why the centerstand stop would come to a final position with pressure on it when being used is why it eventually loosened up I guess. Now I must find this key here in Toronto as there are only sets offered and I already have the many smaller ones . Enjoy.

Thanks. What a dumb design to have the centerstand rest some of the weight on it when used. Of course it's going to come loose or wear eventually.

Well I found a 25 Hex key SAE Metric Set for 15 bucks on sale. So now I've got 40 of them. The 10mm fit perfectly and the loose sidestand bolt took about half a turn to tighten up using a 5 lb. small sledge. The right side bolt took a few taps tighter too. Main centerstand bushings looked good , no slop so I gave them a few drops of 140 W. oil. I'd say the 2 bolts were loosened by the upwards weight/force from the centerstand coming to rest on them as a final stop when the bike is up on the centerstand , not the up and riding position. Probably taking about 10 % of that force , the 2 legs taking the other 90% or so.

Wait until you lose the tiny rubber bumpers that your windscreen rests on.

The two short ones and the two a hair longer that fall out when you wash the bike or wax it.

Or the small bolt head plugs on the luggage rack that cover up the allen heads.

Toronto will burn as you search those out !

....The 10mm fit perfectly and the loose sidestand bolt took about half a turn to tighten up using a 5 lb. small sledge.

I am worried about that 5lb sledge. If that bushing is in good shape and there is thread locker on the bolt you don't need crazy force. You will do more harm than good. It sounds like you have a bushing issue.

The right side bolt took a few taps tighter too.

What right side bolt. See https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51680&rnd=07242017 [ section 46_0371 - (COLLAPSIBLE STAND/SIDE STAND) ]

I'd say the 2 bolts were loosened by the upwards weight/force from the centerstand coming to rest on them as a final stop when the bike is up on the centerstand , not the up and riding position. Probably taking about 10 % of that force , the 2 legs taking the other 90% or so.

The centre stand doesn't touch any of that when it comes up. It has a rubber bumper and sits against the silencer when it comes up.

Thank you. Sledge just means the tool I used to tap- tighten the 10 mm Allen key to the 2 center stand / side stand support plates re: my manual's 15 ft.- Lb. spec. as I have no torque wrench but knew it's quite light as a torque setting.. (no bashing). Bushings are good. The side stand support plate was loose . I was also concerned that the center stand (when deployed down ) was not only resting on it's proper bushings supports but also some pressures (minimal) were put on the 2 big Allen Hex key bolts as well . . This upwards pressure is from the center stand finding it's final angle rest point when used. This would eventually lead to loosenings. My Clymer manual talks of 8 and 12 mm bolts , not 10.

Also I looked today at the centerstand ( in the up unused position ) and it rests with the mentioned rubber bump stop against the footrest assembly , not exhaust system which would be an even more serious bad design. Enjoy.