Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1021306 - 10/21/18 03:34 AM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
scout6 Offline
scout6  Offline

Lowell, MI 49331
About 30 minutes after ordering something online with BestBuy, I got a text message, claiming to be from my bank. It said that my card was being frozen, and that I needed to call them right away. I instead called the number on the back of the card. No frozen account, just trying to get me to call someone to gain information. I forwarded it to my bank's fraud department, and let BestBuy know that they had an issue.I usually use PayPal, but chose to use a card so that my interaction with BestBuy would go more smoothly.

Brother Rob, Chief Tail
Gunner and Strafing
Instructor, Guns for
Nuns.
2015 R1200GSW/2008 Yamaha Royal Star
#1021322 - 10/21/18 03:35 PM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

I get a lot of spam calls spoofing a local number. Last week, a call appeared on my phone from my office number. Thinking it was a normal business call, I answered to hear a recorded pitch. So, if you have a private or business number associated with your name on the web, that next call from your office can be spam.

How can safe spaces, trigger warnings & the reporting of micro-aggressions create courageous, resilient citizens?
#1021498 - 10/24/18 12:25 PM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
beemerboy Offline
RallyMaster UnXI, Salida, CO
beemerboy  Offline

Colorado Springs, CO
And another one.....

"Hello Sir/Madam,

We are US based Online Advertisement Company. This is our promotional email to conduct SEO on your website. That's why we found you through Google Search after page 4th.

We would like to send you our company's SEO proposal to compare with your current supplier in terms of Result/Price/ROI (Return on Investment) etc.

This is absolutely free and nowhere pressurize to move forward. But I will be grateful if I have your permission to send you the SEO proposal.

Thanks
Kelly Sun"

Boy, I'm sure glad they don't want to pressurize me!!! jaw

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#1021766 - 10/30/18 06:32 PM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
beemerboy Offline
beemerboy  Offline

Colorado Springs, CO
Got this one today:

"Hi sir/madam,
We can place your website on first page of google, yahoo, bing.
We are a certified seo company with 6 years of experience in this field.
You need not to worry about our pricing.
Our pricing of seo service is cheapest and affordable.
You may ask about our pricing details.
Please kindly revert in any case of clarification.
(Seo service consultant)
Bespok,
Ps: I will be happy to send you “pricing” & “proposal” and share the website further more."

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#1022196 - 11/08/18 04:07 AM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
beemerboy Offline
beemerboy  Offline

Colorado Springs, CO
This one's really good!

"Hi Sir/Madam,

We are an Estimation company who produce their estimates from project plans. As for accuracy we have a tendency to take a ninety eight p.c accuracy a refund guarantee for the material takeoff. we have a tendency to deal in each residential and industrial classes.

We provides point by point estimates to construction managers, architects, planners, engineers, and owners, per their development determinations.

All you would like to try and do is simply send us the drawings (PDF file) then we'll offer you quote shortly and if you in agreement thereon quote then we'll build the detailed estimate.

Feel free to contact if you've got any question. Thanks.

Regards,

Mike Jones

917 464 3739

BDM @ Excel Estimation LLC

Unsubscribe <mailto:mike@excelestimation.com ?Subject=Unsubscribe> "

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#1022197 - 11/08/18 05:13 AM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
I got one last night on ADV - I have a WTB ad over there, and I got a PM that said:

Maggie Louise Shearin in Pennsylvania. He has an [the item you wish to buy] for sale. Here's his email mggloiseshearin@gmail.com. You can thank me later

The bold bit was of course actually the title of my WTB post - it sounded almost natural, but when I googled the email address I found a bunch of similar posts and some of them were pretty hilariously worded thanks to them just pasting in the exact wording of whatever someone was looking for.

*insert witty remark here*
#1022205 - 11/08/18 01:51 PM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
elkroeger Online
elkroeger  Online

Rochester WA
I got a phone call on my work cell yesterday. Lady says "Hi, I got a call from this number a few minutes ago. I'm returning your call." I said "No you didn't. I haven't made any phone calls on this phone today"

First time I've seen that. "spoofing" isn't it?

Have you guys gotten the Chinese robo calls yet?

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#1022231 - 11/09/18 01:04 AM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: elkroeger]  
beemerboy Offline
beemerboy  Offline

Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted by elkroeger
I got a phone call on my work cell yesterday. Lady says "Hi, I got a call from this number a few minutes ago. I'm returning your call." I said "No you didn't. I haven't made any phone calls on this phone today"

First time I've seen that. "spoofing" isn't it?

No calls from the Chinese Consulate! That said, I've had calls in the past where the caller asks for "Robert" and then I tell them they have the wrong answer. The reply comes back "Well, maybe YOU can help me!" and that's when they go into a sales pitch to donate to some policeman's charity or other BS cause. The first occurrence I let the guy talk for about a minute the politely declined. The next time I started hanging up. I once met a guy who used to work in cold call sales so I asked him what it's like to get nasty responses and hung up on so much. He told me that he'd typically get a few sales out of every hundred or so calls he'd dial. Tough way to make a living, huh? By the way, he's one of the most cynical people I've ever met.

Regards,
Randy
'02 R1150RT
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S
#1022233 - 11/09/18 01:14 AM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Worst job I ever had (have had so far?) was the -maybe- two weeks I spent as a telemarketer making cold calls.

I do not enjoy rejection.

*insert witty remark here*
#1022251 - 11/09/18 02:25 PM Re: Let's go phishing!! [Re: beemerboy]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted by elkroeger

Yes! I got two such voicemails earlier this week. I have a coworker whose native language is Chinese, so he was able to interpret them for me, and they match what the article says about a package needing to be picked up and to press a number for more info. Thanks for the article; I've passed it along to my coworker.

For a feel-good scammer story that might make you tear up with warm-fuzzies, click here:
By D Grace of God

For a feel-good scammer story that might make you tear up with uncontrollable laughter, click here:
P-P-P-Powerbook! (caution, some profanity)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3