IGNORED

2004 1150RT Fuel Filter and Replace Fuel Hoses in Tank

tobyzusa

I'm on my second 2004 1150 RT. The bike runs perfectly, except when it's been run and then then sits for 15 to 30 mins. On startup, the bike then bogs down as though it's going to stall, but doesn't. It clears from this problem in about 30 seconds of nursing the throttle and then runs perfectly. Both stick coils are newish. I have a few questions for the collective: My thought is this may be a fuel filter issue, at least it feels like a fuel issue. Do you agree or have other possibilities to offer? Also, if I'm changing the fuel filter, I'm trying to remember where in the tank the lines connect as I'm thinking it may be prudent to change the lines in the tank on a 14 year-old bike? I'd appreciate thoughts on if this is necessary and if so, how to change them out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I believe there was a recall on this. I bought my 04 RT new and it did what you described before I took it in for a recall about the routing of the oxygen sensor cable. I can't recall the specifics but I believe that the oxygen sensor cable was running parallel to the secondary spark plug cable for a short distance. The fix was to reroute the oxygen sensor cable. Since my bike was under warranty I let the dealer do it so I can't give specifics.

I'm on my second 2004 1150 RT. The bike runs perfectly, except when it's been run and then then sits for 15 to 30 mins. On startup, the bike then bogs down as though it's going to stall, but doesn't. It clears from this problem in about 30 seconds of nursing the throttle and then runs perfectly. Both stick coils are newish. I have a few questions for the collective: My thought is this may be a fuel filter issue, at least it feels like a fuel issue. Do you agree or have other possibilities to offer? Also, if I'm changing the fuel filter, I'm trying to remember where in the tank the lines connect as I'm thinking it may be prudent to change the lines in the tank on a 14 year-old bike? I'd appreciate thoughts on if this is necessary and if so, how to change them out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Evening Brad

Your problem really doesn't sound like a fuel filter issue, it is difficult to tell much without more info on your problem but oil fouling on the lower spark plugs comes to mind as well a possible dripping fuel injector, or even low voltage to the upper spark plugs right after the hot re-start. (might be prudent to monitor the fuel injector & upper coil voltages right after a hot re-start).

What CCP is your bike running? If not the stock one then it might also be wise to go back to a stock CCP as a test.

If you go into the fuel tank then definitely replace the high pressure fuel hoses.

Bob, I'm trying to remember how you would change the in-tank connections? As I recall there isn't easy access to where the lines attach? Thoughts?

Hi Brad,

What are you unsure about (or do you just need a general procedure?). The tank has to come off the bike entirely, be drained, and the fuel pump assembly plate removed. You will also need to remove the gas cap assembly to replace the internal lines.

If you end up doing this to eliminate any possible cause (I agree with dirtrider, it sounds more like a spark/coil issue), you might want to renew some of the gaskets/o-rings related to the assembly as well (large o-ring for the fuel pump assembly for example).

This fuel supply revision job will be my next project on my 25K miles Rockster when the weather gets too chilly.

I replaced the fuel pump on a pal's GSA last year, including the strange little U-shaped tube and fitted the proper submersible hose material and the correct squeeze-to-clamp single-use abrazaderas. But I've forgotten the details of how to extract and re-insert the rather clumsy and complicated fuel delivery plate with its fuel-level indicator rheostat arm, etc. Obviously a new rubber sealing ring is required from the Greedy Berlin Pig at some eye-wateringly high price.

I've searched the icon's videos for a clear step-by-step but although there's several brief videos of his, Chris Harris that is, particularly where he's raging colourfully against the inadequacies of the earlier plastic fuel tanks. But there doesn't really seem to be one of his detailed take-you-by-the-hand versions like the Clutch Refurb epics that he did several years ago.

There's a video made by a couple of US amateurs who fumble about trying to do the job, but being an amateur myself, I prefer to get advice from professionals like the esteemed Mr. Harris.

Anybody found a good step-by-step ?

Thanks in anticipation,

AL in s.e. Spain, where it's beginning to get a touch cooler - gasp !