IGNORED

Common R1200RT problems!

Thomas09

Hello Folks

Moving up to 2007 30K R1200RT from the old grandpa 97 R1100RT . Can you please advise me what are the common problems with 1200 series compare to 1100 and what to look for and what to expect. Your advice is highly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Thomas

Hello Folks

Moving up to 2007 30K R1200RT from the old grandpa 97 R1100RT . Can you please advise me what are the common problems with 1200 series compare to 1100 and what to look for and what to expect. Your advice is highly appreciate.

Thank you in advance

Thomas

You are posting in the wrong forum.

You need to post in the Hexhead forum.:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

I moved you to Hexheads.

Now for the question. That dreaded fuel strip is likely to give you issues regarding fuel tank readings, MTE, etc.

Maybe not your question, but I found the "old" R1100RT to be superior to the newer model for wind protection. The old, 1-piece fairing cannot be beaten for thorough wind and rain protection. Boot coverage is less on the newer model, and hand/lower arm protection from rain is also a bit less. But, I wouldn't go back.

My 1100RT did 186,000 miles, and my '06 R1200RT did 233,000 with one drive system failure. Didn't want/need more complicated water cooling so continued with an '08, which now has 91,000 miles, and still feels like new.

Didn't care for the R1200RT windscreen shape, either. Too much helmet buffeting. Worked with the guys at Parabellum.com in northern Georgia to design a better shape, plus added 3/4" long spacers at the top attachment point using long studs for ease of attachment. More vertical screen angle seems to work better for me. There are many screen alternatives, though.

That said, your newer bike will be a joy to you the faster and more aggressively you ride. Feels slightly lighter because it is. More responsive steering, too.

Because of the many highway miles I ride, I added my own electronic cruise control to my R1100RT (not easy), but the electronic cruise on my 1200RT is superb.

And, yeah, my fuel strip died, but it's covered by recall, I believe. Check with dealer.

And, don't neglect doing rear axle oil changes as specified. Capacity is 180cc capacity (not 200cc) on my '08.

• Like 1

Fuel pump controller might corrode due to location

Servo brakes- I never had any issues

Cracking fuel pump collar

Rear wheel carrier casting defect recall

Fuel strips-I never had any issues

Leaking clutch slave cylinders

Sold mine recently with th 78k. Replaced clutch slave cylinder due to leak, it never failed. Replaced entire fuel pump assembly after Recall and fuel leak. Rear wheel carrier replaced by dealer, no problem or failure. Replaced fuel pump controller prophylactically.

Mine was on its original perfect fuel strip.

Luck of the draw today guess. It was a December ‘05 build ‘06 model. The new owner is happy.

• Like 1

Cracking plastic throttle body turn wheels. Happens when you yank on full throttle too hard, past stop.

A solution, don't do it!

Very poor choice of materials, when metal was always used prior to these.

No parts available either, full replacement or repair as best you can.

If you ever get a chance to remove bodies, inspect for cracks.

Cracking plastic throttle body turn wheels. Happens when you yank on full throttle too hard, past stop.

A solution, don't do it!

Mine broke too. I've met others with the problem. Contacted BMW and it was my problem. I still put in a report to the government safety agency. If they recalled the fuel strip, they should cover the pulleys. There's a guy in Tucson that makes metal bolt on replacements now. I found a used set on eBay.

A solution, don't do it!

Mine broke too. I've met others with the problem. Contacted BMW and it was my problem. I still put in a report to the government safety agency. If they recalled the fuel strip, they should cover the pulleys. There's a guy in Tucson that makes metal bolt on replacements now. I found a used set on eBay.

Morning Ponch

That's a problem with BMW's customer commitment, BMW didn't recall the fuel strips, they only extended the fuel strip warranty coverage period.

A solution, don't do it!

Morning Ponch

That's a problem with BMW's customer commitment, BMW didn't recall the fuel strips, they only extended the fuel strip warranty coverage period.

Which was good enough for me. I've gone through 2 already and still have 4 years left. I had to eat the pulleys. Then there was the fuel pump flange that leaked after the repair. It was only the dope they used, but the dealer was of no help. I fixed it myself.