IGNORED

850GS - The goldilocks bike

wit61

I just completed the break-in miles on my new 850GS and wow! I swapped 2 bikes for this one, my F650GS, and my 07 RT. This new machine will never match the RT as an outright touring machine, due to wind protection, adjustable screen, heated seats, etc. It will never be as light and nimble as the F650GS offroad. However, it is nearly as good as both bikes. Smaller lighter than the RT, more powerful and interstate-comfortable than the F650. It travels well so far 2 up, and is practically a sportbike in dynamic mode on a twisty road. Far less $ than the new RT or big GS. I can see this canibalizing some 1250GS sales. Now to re-personalize.....

IMG_2818.JPG?format=750w

I just completed the break-in miles on my new 850GS and wow! I swapped 2 bikes for this one, my F650GS, and my 07 RT. This new machine will never match the RT as an outright touring machine, due to wind protection, adjustable screen, heated seats, etc. It will never be as light and nimble as the F650GS offroad. However, it is nearly as good as both bikes. Smaller lighter than the RT, more powerful and interstate-comfortable than the F650. It travels well so far 2 up, and is practically a sportbike in dynamic mode on a twisty road. Far less $ than the new RT or big GS. I can see this canibalizing some 1250GS sales. Now to re-personalize.....

IMG_2818.JPG?format=750w

Afternoon wit61

Nice looking bike.

I like some of the improvements like new crankshaft phasing, tubeless tires, removable rear foot rests, improved dash, & cruise control but like the older model tube frame & rear fuel tank layout better.

That will probably be my next new GS bike but I'm waiting a year for BMW to get all the bugs worked out & for the aftermarket to get the off-road accessories sorted out. (plus I have my 800GS set up just the way I like it for fast off roading)

Hopefully by then BMW will offer the cruise control as a stand alone option so I don't have to buy the loaded package with stuff I don't need to get the cruise control.

I rode a friends 850GS & the power & acceleration of the new powertrain is outstanding.

Nice, glad you're liking it! :thumbsup: I've been talking about the same two for one bike transaction for some time now. Will the new, yet to be seen 1250 GSA make it happen? :dontknow:

Pat

IMG_2818.JPG?format=750w

Afternoon wit61

Nice looking bike.

I like some of the improvements like new crankshaft phasing, tubeless tires, removable rear foot rests, improved dash, & cruise control but like the older model tube frame & rear fuel tank layout better.

That will probably be my next new GS bike but I'm waiting a year for BMW to get all the bugs worked out & for the aftermarket to get the off-road accessories sorted out. (plus I have my 800GS set up just the way I like it for fast off roading)

Hopefully by then BMW will offer the cruise control as a stand alone option so I don't have to buy the loaded package with stuff I don't need to get the cruise control.

I rode a friends 850GS & the power & acceleration of the new powertrain is outstanding.

I have never purchased a first year of anything before, but in this case, we are almost a year behind the release of this bike in Europe and elsewhere. The engine is intoxicating, and the display is visible in every lighting situation. You are right about the packages though, as I ended up getting a few things that I would never have opted for like the quick-shifter. I would have gladly paid instead for a touring screen, wider pegs, etc. but the aftermarket will soon take care of that. The F800GS is a very good machine, and there was a great deal on a leftover, but IMHO once you ride these back-to-back you would be hard pressed not to spend the extra $. By next year the GSA version will be out as well, and I think it is no accident that BMW sends loaded machines to make the all-singing all-dancing GSA look like a small step up.

Edited by wit61

I have never purchased a first year of anything before, but in this case, we are almost a year behind the release of this bike in Europe and elsewhere. The engine is intoxicating, and the display is visible in every lighting situation. You are right about the packages though, as I ended up getting a few things that I would never have opted for like the quick-shifter. I would have gladly paid instead for a touring screen, wider pegs, etc. but the aftermarket will soon take care of that. The F800GS is a very good machine, and there was a great deal on a leftover, but IMHO once you ride these back-to-back you would be hard pressed not to spend the extra $. By next year the GSA version will be out as well, and I think it is no accident that BMW sends loaded machines to make the all-singing all-dancing GSA look like a small step up.

Morning wit61

True the 850 was released in India & Europe a good while back but there weren't that many running around getting Beta tested as the deliveries were stopped due to that large recall of the oil pumps drives failing. (I think, due to the delivery hold, that they repaired most bikes before they reached the customers).

I hope you are correct about the 850's not having first year teething issues as that would probably make it the first BMW motorcycle since the early 1990's that didn't.