IGNORED

2011 R1200RT hard to shift out of 2nd

cowchip

Not sure what to do or where top look. My bike had not been ridden for a bit over a month and today I could not shift out of 2nd gear. Froze. Very hard to move lever. Finally I forced it into 2nd and 3rd was very hard to engage. Downshifts OK. Sometimes at low RPM the shifter would go smooth into 2nd but 3rd became an issue.

My last transmission oil change was at 14200 miles in 2016. I know, I don't ride it enough!

Any ideas where to look or what to do?

Mar Vista, CA

Don

First thing I would do is drain the fluid. Take a look to see if any debris is there. Then service with new oil.

After that I don't have a clue what's next to do.

I'm sure plenty of info will pop up soon enough.

Not sure what to do or where top look. My bike had not been ridden for a bit over a month and today I could not shift out of 2nd gear. Froze. Very hard to move lever. Finally I forced it into 2nd and 3rd was very hard to engage. Downshifts OK. Sometimes at low RPM the shifter would go smooth into 2nd but 3rd became an issue.

My last transmission oil change was at 14200 miles in 2016. I know, I don't ride it enough!

Any ideas where to look or what to do?

Mar Vista, CA

Don

Afternoon Don

The first thing to look for is WHERE the shifting hanging up.

It might be external due to shift linkage or ball sockets binding up due to corrosion, or loose shift lever on the trans stub shaft, or some other external shifter part problem.

Is the bolt tight on the small shift lever on the trans stub shaft? (if that is loose then the shifting can become a problem)

Or could be internal due to shift fork or shift drum issues.

Is your clutch working OK? Does it release fully & properly?

Maybe try riding the bike a bit to see if the shifting loosens up.