IGNORED

Finally had a chance to do a few upgrades.

JMitchell

Pleased with the results so far on my 96 1100 RT.

Installed the Spiegler SS brake lines.

Installed the GS throttle body air intake tubes.

Installed BMW AF-XIED control unit by Nightrider.

Brake line install went very smooth with no adjustments on the new brake lines required. Replaced the original BMW lines due to inside of brake lines deteriorating.

The intake tubes were an easy install as well. Noticeable difference in midrange power band as well as less surging. Primary reason for installing them was to try and eliminate the surging while accelerating in the mid range RPM's.

The computer chip was also a straight forward install. Apparently I will not see the true benifits until after a few tanks of gas have been run through the bike. I left the computer setting set by the manufacture of “7”.

Has anyone had experience using this device and recommend another setting. My normal riding elevation is around 3000' down to sea level. Temperature most of the year is between 60 and 80 degrees.

John

Pleased with the results so far on my 96 1100 RT.

Installed the Spiegler SS brake lines.

Installed the GS throttle body air intake tubes.

Installed BMW AF-XIED control unit by Nightrider.

Brake line install went very smooth with no adjustments on the new brake lines required. Replaced the original BMW lines due to inside of brake lines deteriorating.

The intake tubes were an easy install as well. Noticeable difference in midrange power band as well as less surging. Primary reason for installing them was to try and eliminate the surging while accelerating in the mid range RPM's.

The computer chip was also a straight forward install. Apparently I will not see the true benifits until after a few tanks of gas have been run through the bike. I left the computer setting set by the manufacture of “7”.

Has anyone had experience using this device and recommend another setting. My normal riding elevation is around 3000' down to sea level. Temperature most of the year is between 60 and 80 degrees.

John

Morning John

You made more than one change so how do you know it was the GS intake tubes & not the AF-XIED that helped the surging?

Morning D.R.

My assumption is only based on the product discription listed on the Beemerboneyard website where I purchased the AF-XIED. States a few tanks of gas allows the Motronic to adapt to the new mixture setting.

Have you had any experience with this unit?

John

I know the unit well. The AF-XIED starts to benefit you immediately in the surging part of the fuel map (Closed Loop) but takes a couple tanks of fuel for the benefits to reach the more distant part of the maps like WOT (Open Loop).

The reduction is surging and mid range power was, no doubt about it, due to the AF-XIED. You can check by swapping the tubes back.

Here is the thread that led to the development of the AF-XIED for BMW bikes: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=746671#Post746671

Edited by roger 04 rt

Anything above 5 is an improvement. 7 or 8 is the sweet spot. I run the equivalent of 9 on my 2001 GS where I use an Innovate LC-2 and run setting 7 on my 2017 RTW (but I will try 8 soon). I'm looking for a mixture near Best Power Mixture and don't mind sacrificing a few MPG.

Edited by roger 04 rt

JM- I've got a 96 RT as well. Did you use an 1100GS intake tube as a replacement? any modifications needed to make that swap?

I guess the GS tube allows more air to enter, right? Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave P

Nope, the tubes don't allow more air in. They don't require modification, they are longer and protrude further into the air box. It is this length that effects the results. However, bear in mind what (marginal) improvement you have from the tubes in terms or torque, you loose out the other way in terms of peak power. You can tell a difference but it really is marginal. If you are having issues, it is worth a try. However, if it is surging, then this is NOT the route to solving it. There are other steps that should be pursued first.

Mike Sawatske

JMitchell. Having consumed roger 04 rt's lengthy "tutorial" on the AF-XIED, I splurged and the results were transforming for my R1150RT, not just a reduction in very annoying surging, but ability to run at lower than 3000 revs with no snatchiness. Contributed to a completely different bike along with a Servoectomy.

JMitchell. Having consumed roger 04 rt's lengthy "tutorial" on the AF-XIED, I splurged and the results were transforming for my R1150RT, not just a reduction in very annoying surging, but ability to run at lower than 3000 revs with no snatchiness. Contributed to a completely different bike along with a Servoectomy.

+1

My rig was a surging pig. I tried every tuning trick there was to try. Including new EV-14 injectors. The injectors made the most difference, but still could not get rid of all surging. Then the final chapter was the AF-XIED. that cured the problem. I have tried several settings but have come back to setting 7 as being the best setting. Have had the unit on my rig for about 20K miles, and performs flawless. I could have put the unit on at first but was stubborn about wanting to get rid of it by tuning, No go, still had surge so the AF-XIED was the final thing and fixed the problem all together. Also no regrets on the EV-14 injectors they did make a huge improvement on getting the available power out of the bike. Mike you think your rig runs good now, put some EV-14 injectors in and hold on. When I hammer it in first gear and hit second the front wheel pulls off of the ground easily, which it would never do before. It behaved this was after the injectors where installed but still had some detectable surge. The matched flow injectors cured about 80% of the problem though, but still needed the AF-XIED to finish it off. As a side note some claim they fixed the surge completely but not for me. Oh by the way mine is an R1100R. 96' model.

SAS- Would EV14 injectors designated as 40mm work on my 96 R1100RT? Same engine as your R1100R.

Does fuel economy suffer a lot from these EV14 injectors?

Just curious.... Dave

Dave P

Yes they will work just fine, you will need to get them from Injector rehab on the east coast or tills in I think Germany. If you go to ADVrider look for the thread in the GS secton about the EV-14 injectors. There are links for both places. They make the kit that will make it all work Fuel economy is down about 2 miles to the gallon, so average about 41 mpg. If you can stay out of the throttle, but that is the fun part for me. Millage is not a concern around town but I try to be easy on it on long trips. Besides the AF-XIED it will be the best money spent. The key with these are the matched flow and spay patter atomization. With the R1100's they are sensitive to balanced flow, and good throttle body sync.

SAS- Would EV14 injectors designated as 40mm work on my 96 R1100RT? Same engine as your R1100R.

Does fuel economy suffer a lot from these EV14 injectors?

Just curious.... Dave

Dave, What's key is the matching. The spray pattern improvement is a marginal benefit. If you want a better running bike go for the AF-XIED first and matched injectors second. The reason is that the AF-XIED kills two birds with one stone—the extra fuel adds torque, and by richening the mixture it reduces the sensitivity to mismatch.

Matched EV14 injectors do not effect fuel economy because your Motronic has long term trims that adapt to them so they add no fuel after an adaption period.

Edited by roger 04 rt

Hello Dave,

There were no modifications required in the swap. Just remove the TB and remove the stock and install the longer GS tubes. I purchased the tubes directly from San Jose BMW at 40.00 each.

Part numbers:

Right: 13711341406

Left: 13711341405

If you have a serging issue I would also install the AF-XIED unit. Very pleased with the results. I am using the number 8 setting and all of the surging issues are resolved.

Below are two YouTube links for the installations mentioned above.

John