IGNORED

Re: New Helmet Time

Skywagon

I'm ready for a new lid. I live in Texas so modular is required. My last 3 helmets were Schuberth, Shoei Multitec, and Shoei Neotec. I was ready for the new Neotec 2 but with the closed system SENA versus any SENA, I'm going to pass. The question I have is have any of you tried an AGV Sport Modular Helmet? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sportmodular-carbon-solid-helmet

Edited by Skywagon

I moved from modular to full face, so can't comment on the model, but I really like my AGV K3 SV.

I always check SHARP and for some brands, including AGV, the US models are the same. With modular, in particular, you can see how good they are or aren't at staying closed in an impact.

Looks like the Sport Modular did very well, but I don't see the carbon version tested.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=AGV&model=Sport+Modular&type=1

have the AGV dual sport carbon fiber lid, really like it except the AGV chin strap system takes a bit of getting used to.

I can almost throw a rock and hit Skywagon. I have a full face. All in what you want.

I actually tried a couple modular helmets on a couple years back when I bought my last new helmet. One thing I would recommend you at least try on is the HJC RPHA series helmets. It is NOT your low end HJC helmet, which I still think are some of the best for the money. It felt better and I believe had better design and features than the Shoei or Schuberth modular. I think Wild West Honda in Katy stocks them to try on.

Well...maybe a requirement is overstatement but when sitting in Houston traffic at 110 degrees and 45 minutes later you've made less that a mile....it's quite nice to raise the thing up and get some air. I don't ride with it that way ever, but when stopped......I raise it up, get air, drink water....

LCB...tell me more about the chin strap. There is a lot of traffic about that issue on Revzilla but really not sure what the issue is. Anthony doesn't really address it in his video.

The main thing is finding a helmet of the same shape as your head. I have been using Nolan N1XX helmets for about a decade, and I love them, especially the ratcheting latch for the strap. The newer models have a dark shield behind the clear shield, which works very well, and is protected from scratching. With the clear shield up and the dark shield down, you get a different airflow. The dark shield is also spring-loaded, so it pops up and out of the way with the touch of a button.

But... if you don't have a Nolan head, it's not a good helmet — for you.

Edited by Selden

+1. I usually get interested in a different brand, or new model, only to pull it down over my noggin' and promptly put it back. Some helmets are just more pointy than others.... (and fit my pointy head better).

• 1 month later...

Likely not your thing, but I picked up an Arai Corsair X Curve in blue. Much more quiet than my Schuberth C3 and the fit is phenomenal. Extremely light on the head and with the ventilation, I think it flows way more air than the Schuberth.

Edit: Never mind, you want a modular

Edited by Living the Dream