IGNORED

No 2019 KLR's

Bud

That's too bad as the KLR 650 is a great bike if used for it's intended purpose.

Personally, I never warmed up to the 2nd generation 650 KLR but have owned a number of 1st generation KLR's.

At the low retail price & deep discounts to attract buyers I would imagine that not much money was made by anyone in the pipeline from factory to dealer so not much incentive to keep it in production.

Or possibly it just won't meet the newer emission control mandates & being crudely carbureted it is not exactly a green machine (regardless of it's company colors).

It's lack of a 6 speed trans, somewhat weak front forks, a few easily repairable but persistent flaws have somewhat limited it's appeal, but to some of us long-time KLR owners it would still be the go-to bike to ride to remote 3rd world countries, or to ride in parts of the world where no help is available for thousands of miles. (the gen 1 KLR 650 is one of the few modern bikes that will actually start & run with no battery in the bike)

Once the few little shortcomings are updated the KLR is about as reliable as a paper clip.

J8PT0fJ.jpg

That's too bad as the KLR 650 is a great bike if used for it's intended purpose.

Personally, I never warmed up to the 2nd generation 650 KLR but have owned a number of 1st generation KLR's.

At the low retail price & deep discounts to attract buyers I would imagine that not much money was made by anyone in the pipeline from factory to dealer so not much incentive to keep it in production.

Or possibly it just won't meet the newer emission control mandates & being crudely carbureted it is not exactly a green machine (regardless of it's company colors).

It's lack of a 6 speed trans, somewhat weak front forks, a few easily repairable but persistent flaws have somewhat limited it's appeal, but to some of us long-time KLR owners it would still be the go-to bike to ride to remote 3rd world countries, or to ride in parts of the world where no help is available for thousands of miles. (the gen 1 KLR 650 is one of the few modern bikes that will actually start & run with no battery in the bike)

Once the few little shortcomings are updated the KLR is about as reliable as a paper clip.

So Kawasaki kept producing and selling a bike for 33 years that didn't make them or the dealers that much money???

Kawasaki will replace the KLR with an updated bike soon. The new bike will have EFI and other updates. Hell the Ural and Enfield even have EFI! Probably emissions compliance has caused the current situation. That's my speculation anyway.

• 1 month later...

I loved my 2015 KLR650. They are fun to ride, simple and dependable albeit antiquated. I only sold it because when I advised my wife that I was getting the R1200RT she said the KLR had to go, much to the chagrin of my 16-year-old son. I still miss it.