IGNORED

RHS rear fairing cover

Puddles

Due to unauthorized and unscheduled self disassembly, my 1100RT is in need of the cover that goes over he rear brake assembly. They are available on line for $100+, which is what I will get unless one of you has a spare you are willing to sell.

Normally, it's from the 1/4 turn Dzus type fastener not being all the way fastened and it flys off.

Or the mounting pin or tab(s) are missing with same result,

If you get a used one with a missing pin, you can "build one" or just use a plastic wire tie to secure it.

What happened?

I'm using mine at the moment :eek:

Well mate, IT FELL OFF if I need to put a fine point on it. If you don't mind going without, I'd borrow yours for a while. That rear quarter looks naked now.

The sequence of events being:

1). Pick up bike from shop

2). Decide on shake down cruise

3). Perform a naughty getaway from a stop sign

4). Approach 3rd gear at almost redline, and at the same moment,

5). Hear a rattle-clatter, so immediately

6). (Shift and) Check oil pressure light, which not seeing,

7). Continue naughty riding, then, the next morning, notice,

8). Bike has failed the “parts-falling-off” test.

I went back to the scene the following day and found *most* of the cover lying in the road.

Yep, Al, that fastener is probably the culprit. Or, since there's no possible way to tell if it's “latched” or not, instead of culprit I might mean booby trap.

The mounting pin on the inside really does snug it up,but the fastener on the top has an open/closed position. When the tab on the outside is horizontal the nub on the inside is positioned 90 degrees from the catch, keeping the cover locked on (kind of). When the tab is positioned vertically, the inside nub is on the same plane as the catch and will more easily slide out (kind of).

If I was clever and motivated, I would fit a stronger spring-twist-lock to whatever newish part I end up with. I wish they'd done that to start with.

That's a good tip.

The previous owner of mine attached one with a bolt instead of opting for the twist lock. Although he left the other side oem twist lock.. Lame.

It took me he longest time to figure what those things were called/ what they we're for. Same goes for the lift handle, that confused the hell out of me. I could not figure out what it was there for. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What happened?

I'm using mine at the moment :eek:

Well mate, IT FELL OFF if I need to put a fine point on it. If you don't mind going without, I'd borrow yours for a while. That rear quarter looks naked now.

The sequence of events being:

1). Pick up bike from shop

2). Decide on shake down cruise

3). Perform a naughty getaway from a stop sign

4). Approach 3rd gear at almost redline, and at the same moment,

5). Hear a rattle-clatter, so immediately

6). (Shift and) Check oil pressure light, which not seeing,

7). Continue naughty riding, then, the next morning, notice,

8). Bike has failed the “parts-falling-off” test.

I went back to the scene the following day and found *most* of the cover lying in the road.

Yep, Al, that fastener is probably the culprit. Or, since there's no possible way to tell if it's “latched” or not, instead of culprit I might mean booby trap.

Sounds like the culprit is #1 Pick up bike from shop. Someone there didnt lock the fastener.