IGNORED

07 RT1200 Center Stand?

bulletbill

Have a 07 RT and it is difficult the raise on the center stand. ( this is my second 07 didn't have this issue with the first 07) the center stand measures 1/2 " longer that my first 07??? Was there a purpose for a longer stand? Also would this 1/2" make a differents in the effort using the center stand?

I put Wilburs on my 2013 that were lowered 18mm and that has made the OEM centerstand a bit of a chore to use if there is a load on the bike. I replaced the sidestand with one from a lowered RT but never got around to replacing the center unit.

Have a 07 RT and it is difficult the raise on the center stand. ( this is my second 07 didn't have this issue with the first 07) the center stand measures 1/2 " longer that my first 07??? Was there a purpose for a longer stand? Also would this 1/2" make a differents in the effort using the center stand?

Afternoon bulletbill

My parts book only shows 2 center stands available (lowered bike) & (standard height bike).

Your bike needs a long enough center stand so the rear wheel fully clears the ground plus some (if the rear wheel isn't clear of the ground even on slightly irregular ground, or a slightly low spot at the stand feet, then it would be possible for the bike to fall over more easily.

As far as stand length effecting effort to raise bike, definitely, as the longer the lever from the pivot points to the feet the more effort that it takes due to stand's leg angle as the feet touch the ground.

How far is your rear tire off the ground with bike on center stand?

I support the experience of tough centerstand lifting. My '08 RT is very difficult compared to my previous RT '06 model, which felt very normal. But, my '08 feels heavier (it's not) and requires a significantly higher lift to get it on. It feels like a different angle of initial ground contact, which makes it more difficult in initial lift.

Suspensions on both bikes were un-modified. On stand, rear wheel is 1-3/4" off ground, which should indicate relatively easy lift. But, it's tough.

Haven't measured stands, but '08 sure is different.

Dennis Andress

Got a table saw? Cut a piece of 2x8 to about a foot long. Then cut one of the long edges at a shallow angle, something like 30 degrees. Put the board in front of your rear tire and roll the bike up on it using the ramp provided by the angle. Then put the center stand down.

Adding to the above post, in my garage I have a plywood spaced so the front and rear wheels as I park are on them (probably 1/2 inch). (Not in the middle where the engine is, etc) It makes it much easier to get it on the center stand.