IGNORED

getting to know my 2010 Camhead

Indy Dave

As some of you may have seen, I'm making the transition from a 06 Hexhead to a 2010 Camhead. I have lots to do, but here's a few pictures and a quick observation or two.

Oh - inquiring minds and all. 34,000 miles and I paid $6495.00 before tax.

The handle bars are narrower on the Camhead (CH) vs the Hexhead (HH)! I thought I noticed this on the test ride, but decided it was maybe just being on a RDL seat. Yesterday I rode both bikes back to back, and again I noticed this right away. Even more so when I jumped on both bikes to put them in the garage - I could do a tight turn around in the driveway without a second thought - not so on the CH. The HH feels knowingly familiar, and that 1 inch total narrower bar is going to take an adjustment.

20181101_164617.jpg

Making some preliminary changes, but I must ride this afternoon, so nothing too much. Unfortunately, that means all of this will be coming off again.

20181102_224825.jpg

20181102_225636.jpg

20181102_233728.jpg

20181102_233602.jpg

20181102_233613.jpg

20181102_233706.jpg

And of course, that means my bar end weights won't transfer - unless I kludge some kind of spacer.

Time to button the girl up and ride!!

Edited by Indy Dave

Flat washers are your friend with longer bolts. I transferred my bar ends that way.

Just don't mix up fasteners between bikes, I still have 6 or seven left over screws

from when I took the 2013 all apart. :dopeslap:

Enjoy the project. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Now I was totally expecting a sunset stroll on a beach somewhere. :grin:

BMW-R1200RT-sunshine.jpg

Pat

Yes, I agree. But instead he has undressed both.

I sure hope he can remember how to put back together.

Picture by Indy Dave:

kgjj8H5.jpg

Anybody have some Duct Tape?! :spittake:

Pat

Picture by Indy Dave:

The Schöne und Talentierte Dame and I were out one evening (seems like a year ago now) around dusk and the sunset was spectacular and Die Dame wanted to pose for a picture or two. But, we'd seen three deer already and I didn't have time to find a suitable landscape for Die Dame to pose in. And truth be told, she'd had her photo taken several times that day already.

I agree with you both. In my defense, it's pretty much universally accepted East of the Mississippi and South of the Mason-Dixon that a new bike bond can't be consummated until the rituals of an 'ART have been shared As One riding Kinsely's Nearly World Famousâ„¢ START/FART Routes.

So being an impatient and insensitive type, I couldn't wait that long to get my grubby and wandering hands all over Die Frau, and I shamefully disrobed her. And took pictures!

I did piece the '06 back together last night this morning, but I'll be spending some more time with Die Schöne und Talentierte Dame before she's all buttoned up again.

Edited by Indy Dave
Anybody have some Duct Tape?! :spittake:

Pat

Picture by Indy Dave:

The Schöne und Talentierte Dame and I were out one evening (seems like a year ago now) around dusk and the sunset was spectacular and Die Dame wanted to pose for a picture or two. But, we'd seen three deer already and I didn't have time to find a suitable landscape for Die Dame to pose in. And truth be told, she'd had her photo taken several times that day already.

I agree with you both. In my defense, it's pretty much universally accepted East of the Mississippi and South of the Mason-Dixon that a new bike bond can't be consummated until the rituals of an 'ART have been shared As One riding Kinsely's Nearly World Famousâ„¢ START/FART Routes.

So being an impatient and insensitive type, I couldn't wait that long to get my grubby and wandering hands all over Die Frau, and I shamefully disrobed her. And took pictures!

I did piece the '06 back together last night this morning, but I'll be spending some more time with Die Schöne und Talentierte Dame before she's all buttoned up again.

:grin::thumbsup:

Pat

Making good progress. The Hexhead is almost ready for market and the Camhead is getting enhancements.

The Hexhead received it's enhancements piecemeal . . .

20181119_160957.jpg

20181119_195650.jpg

20181119_195458.jpg

As one Bumbling Backroad Ridersâ„¢ quipped "How did that thing even run?!?"

Hopefully, doing the enhancements all at once will streamline the process, eliminate redundant wiring and save weight with fewer zip ties.

20181119_195800.jpg

Ahhhh .. Reminds me of the time I replaced the clutch in my 03 1150RT. It was eerie to have the back half at a 90 degree salute held up to rafters with tie downs. Good luck on the reassembly. It's good to know what your riding on and depending on.

• Like 1

Bob - Now that Sir, is a job!! Good on you for tackling it! I hope that's one job I'm spared having to do! Glad it worked out and glad to know it can be done.

Dave - That's Taylor and we've had her a year now - she's 3. Taylor was found wondering around the streets of KY and was taken in by a Indianapolis Lab Rescue outfit. She is a good helper.

Bill - Under the covers - why more tank bags of course!! :dopeslap: Nothing much more exciting than tanks bags actually. A couple of older 5 series BMW's. The near car is a '84 533i I've had since '87 and has been modified. It's passed the 300k mark. The far car is a '91 M5 with 40k.

20150425_123119.jpg

20150425_123107.jpg

One day I decided I was going to fix something on the 533i, and one thing led to another :stir::ohboy::dontknow: and now the guts, windshield and back window have been removed and I'm still trying to find a short in the wiring that happened when I had some welding done. While the metal work the welder did is very good, he disregarded my instructions to disconnect the battery when welding and ended up firing some wiring :mad:.

Here she is naked, next to the M5 and Taylor, who at this time was quite new to us when I took this photo last Fall.

20171021_180508.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave

A bit of an update on the Camhead.

I'd had The Girl (AKA Cami) all stripped down - as Bernie pointed out earlier in a rather moralistically judgemental tone. The plan was to do some suspension work while she was all exposed and vulnerable and then twist some wires together before getting Cami all fitted back and clothed in modesty again. But then the Clean Living Hoosiers decided we needed to go for a ride (with less than a days notice) AND that I should provide 6th Gear Scott the Hexhead since his Triumph Blew To Bits at FART. Their rational was that I must bear some responsibility for his misfortunes - what with it being FART and all; AND after all, his bike is still down in Knoxville (and if 6th gear has his way, that's where it'll stay). If memory serves, endobobdds :stir: was leading 6th gear's ride, so clearly this is on bob! :read:

Nonetheless, I quickly wire things up and Cami is unfulfilled and unimpressed with my quick work and lack of attention to her needs. To add insult to her injury, we ended up having a quick ride with the Clean Living Hoosiers. Poor girl!

But during our ride, Cami did protest with some intermittent stumbling :ohboy::dontknow: Bernie recalled that one of the service records that came with Cami noted this complaint. I'd forgotten that, as so far Cami hadn't stumbled, complained or revolted as she got thoroughly ridden hard by Yours Truly by way of introduction. And not just once, but twice or thrice.

Hmmm . . . maybe this? SNL Sean Connery

And when Cami was stumbling, the CLH were riding like we were Driving Mrs Daisy. Maybe she really didn't like the quickie.

So now to find out if she just likes it ROUGH or if Cami has another issue. :dontknow:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 5:23 PM, Pappy35 said:

My "Cami" doth stumble a time or thrice every now and then. Should you ever determine root cause please do share.

I think my stumble is down to bad gas. Ive run 500 miles or so since the stumble and haven't had a hiccup. Remember, I'd run out of gas our in the Back 40 and a guy took gas from his mower to get me to civilization. The was siphoned into an old container, so yea.

All good now.

13 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Yeah. Mine's been rock solid for months now.

Sounds like  we're on the right track, then. Cami has been ridden hard and put up wet a couple of times now - and she's running like a sewing machine. :rofl:

Here's a clip of her last run before the snow.