IGNORED

insane road rage incident in the news (2016)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Just discovered this article, detailing a bizarre road rage incident between a motorcyclist and a car driver in 2016 (didn't find mention of it here in the forums after a brief search). Article includes a YouTube video of the entire 4-minute incident, recorded and posted by the motorcyclist. It starts with a lane-split maneuver at 0:50 (this is not legal in Miami), which irritates the driver, so when the light turns green, he stomps on the gas - which irritates the biker, and then from there both parties continue to escalate and retaliate. Neither one can let it go, despite weaving dangerously though traffic and sustained driving on the wrong side of the street, to the left of oncoming traffic. In the end the biker gets away. Based on a review of the video the rider posted, both of them were later arrested.

Not enough dopeslaps, for either one of them.

Too bad the sheriff making the left turn didn't see the take off etc.

The right side mirror, it bends?

Was it already taped in place?

Stupid idiots. Glad someone driving another vehicle didn't get hit, or hit the biker.

It's stupid crap like that which give motorcyclists a bad name. Yes the car driver is just as guilty for escalating the situation. But the biker bares the bigger responsibility here for initiating the stupid behavior.

That biker obviously has personal problems and isn't going to live long riding like that. If reckless driving is a misdemeanor in FL the biker will just get his license pulled for awhile -- good thing because he needs a time-out to think about his mental issues before he kills himself or somebody else. Real dumbass who has no business on a motorcycle on public roads. The reckless stunts he pulled could only have been done on a motorcycle so if/when his driving permit is restored his m/c endorsement should never be restored.

As for the car driver, aggravated assault with a motor vehicle I presume is a felony in FL so he could see jail time and a criminal record for life for this stupid dangerous temper tantrum. Real lowlife.

OK...really. There are no roads in Houston any time of day or night with that few cars on it...….and seriously no joke...…...when that car took a position in front of all the other cars there would have been a shooting. Everyday event here.

Is that even considered lane splitting? He only passed the one car. To me, the moto was just driving like an ass. And then he met another ass. Whatever the punishment, they both got off easy

What did I miss?

The motorcycle split lanes at a stop and the car driver lost his mind because no one should ever PASS HIM?

The biker, after the lane split, did not look like he was gonna go 100mph till the car pulled up next to him in a threatening manner.

Then the car tried to chase the biker down to "teach him a lesson"?...tried to block the road?....

The biker broke some traffic laws?

Again....what did I miss?

IMO...The car driver was 99.9% at fault.

I wonder what would have happen had the biker not had the bike and skills to get away?

Edited by Whip

Whip,

IMO, he did more than "break some traffic laws".

He put not only himself, but every other driver/passenger at risk.

I would be pissed if a mc rider acting like him put me in a position, or worse.

By that I mean a collision, or need to make a drastic maneuver to avoid.

Once the red car pulled up in front, easy out. He had an opening and a right turn lane to greener pastures.

The rider could have just waited and been behind the other vehicles and they would have forced the red car to proceed.

Or, if not, and the driver got out, great, open to right bye bye.

A rider can never "win" an encounter with road rage.

At best they get away from, or with it, and create visual imaging that causes negative imaging wrt riders.

That hurts all riders.

Too many riders, IMO, think they own the road.

They are faster, more skilled, more important, in their mind.

BS

BTW, he did lane split, in several instances. All are illegal here.

All incite driver reactions.

Not positive ones.

The driver of the red car is an ass.

The mc rider is an ass.

Once you start acting the way they did you are implicitly saying, "I don't give a F about others."

Once you do that, to me, you are saying my life and safety don't matter to you.

My response to that is you better not put that judgement to a test where I have to choose me, or you.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The motorcycle split lanes at a stop and the car driver lost his mind because no one should ever PASS HIM?

Ayup, that's pretty much the first antagonizing move.

The biker, after the lane split, did not look like he was gonna go 100mph till the car pulled up next to him in a threatening manner.

Rider's first mistake. If a collision is imminent, it's usually safer to remove speed instead of adding it. Moreover, if you're dealing with a driver who's doing it deliberately, then trying to accelerate away from him can be interpreted as antagonizing/escalating, whereas getting on the brakes can be seen as surrender/deescalation; the latter lets the driver feel like he "won" and can now depart without feeling like he's been publicly "shown up". Car driver is clearly in the wrong, but the rider is not working to defuse the situation at all.

Then the car tried to chase the biker down to "teach him a lesson"?...tried to block the road?....

During the roadblock maneuver, the rider gives the driver the finger (see video at 1:56). Before attempting to flee, he reaches out and deliberately smacks the driver's side mirror (see video at 2:05). Car driver is again clearly in the wrong with his crazy roadblock, but the rider is now actively working to escalate the situation.

The incident apparently lasted quite a bit longer than the video in the article suggests.

that might change your feelings about the rider. There's another escalating finger from the rider at 0:13. Things get more interesting at 0:30, when the rider moves to the far left side of a four-lane road and stays there for a good thirty seconds, passing several oncoming vehicles; the confusion could have easily resulted in a major disaster.

My apologies; I somehow thought the above segment was included in the video I linked to when I started the thread.

I wonder what would have happen had the biker not had the bike and skills to get away?

Not sure what skills those are. In this new segment, from 1:15 to 2:15, he's got wide-open road...and the driver is still able to keep pace with him. For the next fifteen seconds after that, instead of making any effort to get away from the driver, he keeps pace with the driver and argues his righteousness using unintelligible hand gestures.

So let's see...the video in the article shows a full three minutes of altercation, and the second video segment I just link to shows another 3 minutes...that's six minutes of dangerous cat-and-mouse (this article claims ten minutes in total), for an incident that should have been over a few seconds after the initial lane incursion by the driver. A rider on a crotchrocket who takes ten minutes to escape from a guy in a Ford Fusion is either not skilled or not trying.

I searched, but couldn't find the ultimate resolution of all of this. The article at the above link indicates the driver was charged with felony Aggravated Assault with a motor vehicle along with misdemeanor reckless driving, while the rider was charged with misdemeanor reckless driving. It's fair to say the driver created most of the danger (except perhaps for the thirty seconds Gonzalez was riding on the far left side of the road with oncoming traffic), but they both get plenty of blame for being stubborn jackasses who each prioritized their own sense of righteousness, dominance and animal rage far above any notion of safety for themselves or other travelers.

I changed my mind it is 100% the cagers fault.

If the cager had not reacted like a child to the filtering which is normal and legal in most of the world and no more dangerous than rolling a four way (or passing on a double yellow) there would have been no incedent.

Edited by Whip

Oh yes, I agree, it should be.

But, it isn't.

Stupid or not, it isn't.

If you look at all the links Mitch has, and the provocations/comments/contact/verbal bs

from the rider, and the reactions from the car driver, both say F U to the rest of the world.

Not even going to preface with "sorry".

Not sorry, that rider is an ass. He demonstrates that clearly.

Car driver proves asshats on both sides.

This isn't about what should be or could be Kumbaya.

No sympathy for either in this case, both deserve to get worse than they did, IMO.

What did I miss?

I wonder what would have happened if the lane-splitting biker at the light had just let the car in the right lane drive away rather than race/chase it? It was the biker who first tried to "teach a lesson" by CHASING the car that pulled forward first in his own lane. "Pass ME?? NO WAY!" That was the initiation. No threats. No danger.

Why not let the car drive off? But no -- at 1:04 the biker is chasing/racing the car and pulling up close alongside. Why? What did I miss? At 1:08 what justified the biker to bang the car with his fist? Because the car dared to beat him off the light? Then he throttles up and pulls in front of the car knowing he'd just provoked an altercation.

By 2:54 the biker is insanely splitting lanes -- at 95 mph -- putting others in danger. Skills to "get away"? He couldn't pull onto a side street and let the car go after things got heated? He had to drive recklessly at crazy speeds? Both of these idiots were high high high on their own testosterone and shouldn't be on public roads.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I changed my mind it is 100% the cagers fault.

If the cager had not reacted like a child to the filtering which is normal and legal in most of the world and no more dangerous than rolling a four way (or passing on a double yellow) there would have been no incedent.

Well, let's review the play-by-play for the period right after the light turned green,

At 1:00, the driver accelerates hard, pulling to the right to get around the rider. I agree, this is a childish response to the rider's filtering to the front.

Rider initially executes a gentle departure, but after being passed, he too gets on the gas at 1:02; it would appear this is his own childish response to the driver's acceleration/pass.

Rider is still in driver's lane as rider starts to pull alongside driver at 1:03. Contrary to your claim, the driver did not pull up next to the rider in a threatening manner; the rider pulled up next to the driver to initiate a confrontation.

Rider's right mirror is still in the driver's lane at 1:05.

At 1:07, rider intrudes even farther into the driver's lane, dangerously close.

At 1:08, the rider's right hand comes off of the throttle. He may be attempting a hand gesture (probably not a conciliatory one), but the rapid movement instead suggests he may be attempting to smack the driver's mirror. I can't think of a reason for the rider to unhand his grip at that point, other than to antagonize the driver or damage the car.

By 1:11 - when the rider is hard on the gas and accelerating away - the driver still hasn't departed from his own lane. his jackrabbit departure at the green light may be interpreted as antagonizing the rider, but the rider has been the first one to make truly dangerous moves.

So the driver makes the first childish move, but after that, they take turns being childish, over and over again, for ~10 minutes. It's strange that you feel the rider bears no moral responsibility whatsoever for the entire chain of events; he had multiple opportunities to prioritize safety over manliness, but each time, he instead chose to escalate/antagonize and sustain dangerous high speeds in traffic, even including prolonged riding on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic.

There's also this Daily Mail article, which mentions:

Commenters on the video say he previously had a video on his page called 'messing with cars,' which he has since deleted.

It's starting to look like he finds this sort of thing to be great sport. Eight months after this incident

Joe Frickin' Friday
This thread is going down the same "I'm in the right..." rabbit hole those two drivers dove into. Just saying...

The difference is nobody in this thread is slinging insults, and no matter how it ends, nobody gets transformed into a viscid purple smear on the pavement.

I hate to mention this, but I was amazed that the traffic lights were in his favor, so to speak. Had that been me, the very first light would have been red and cross traffic would have prevented me from clearing the intersection (not that I would do that sort of thing.)

Trying to out-do each other is not the answer. I had a cager that did not like the fact that when I entered the road in front of him (with great acceleration-wasn't even close,) to the point that he proceeded to pass me on double yellow in 40 mph zone. He got his feelings hurt, I guess. The sad part was that he had a toddler in a car seat and he was cussing and flipping me off when he got in front of me. Wow. Go for it dude. I was doing at least 10 mph over the limit after I pulled out from the side street. Like I said, it wasn't even close, but.......

.....I just backed out of it and let him have at it.. At the first light we came to, he was turning left with me going right and he still was flipping me off and shaking his fist out the window (cussing, too.) Good gracious. Why all the rage with the kid to witness? He seemed the type that had some sort of firearm so I just kept looking straight ahead and ignored his outburst. Seemed like that may have led to more anger, too. Oh well. That one had me a little spooked for a while.

Edited by wbw6cos

Like I said, I thought the rider was being an ass for filtering through one car. (One stupid car. Just pull up behind him and don't be an ass.) It would appear that filtering or lane splitting isn't the norm where this happened. If it was, the driver wouldn't have reacted poorly. But the first order of business is to get the hell away from the guy. 80, 90, 120 mph with a hot head on your ass, is not the way to do that. Interacting with him, is not the way to do that. How many times did that rider narrowly avoid a collision with the hot head, or other drivers? This is the way you trade everything for a plot and a headstone.

It's just like when I was a kid, and learned how to cross the street. Look both ways. Even if you're in a crosswalk, look both ways, and don't trust anyone to stop. You may be right, but you're dead right.

#1 Don't provoke other drivers (even if it's "the norm")

#2 Let the guy have "his" spot in front of you. He can't run over you if you're behind him.

#3 Turn around and go the other way. Many parts of the world, a gun would have come out the window, instead of that stupid cell phone.

Idiots, both of them.

Just my $.02.