IGNORED

Hard starting in the cold

R65_Steve

2004 1150 been sitting for a couple of weeks in the cold garage. The engine turned over quickly, but wouldn't stay lit. I used the "choke" and everything, took many cranks to get running. Reminded me of my old airhead. I do think I had some noise from the left chain tensioner (goes away once it is running) and that needs to be swapped out, but any guesses as to another cause. Started great the last time I rode it.

I found when it was really cold, if I pushed the 'choke' as far as it would go rather than just using the standard stop setting, the bike would always start. I also never ever messed with the throttle until after I was sure the stove was lit to stay.

2004 1150 been sitting for a couple of weeks in the cold garage. The engine turned over quickly, but wouldn't stay lit. I used the "choke" and everything, took many cranks to get running. Reminded me of my old airhead. I do think I had some noise from the left chain tensioner (goes away once it is running) and that needs to be swapped out, but any guesses as to another cause. Started great the last time I rode it.

Afternoon R65_

Kind of typical on older 1150 boxers.

You just need to give it more throttle to start in cold weather.

If your choke cable is set correctly then either do as Red suggested & hold the choke lever ALL the way up (past the center notch), or simply hold the twist grip at about 1/8 open until started.

On some boxers (in real cold weather or after sitting for a while) it helps to cycle the key on/ off/ on a few times THEN start engine.

[

On some boxers (in real cold weather or after sitting for a while) it helps to cycle the key on/ off/ on a few times THEN start engine.

Is that for the fuel pump to prime and make enough pressure?

Dan.

Steve, There are a lot off possibilities, here are some things I did to get my 2004 R1150RT to consistently start in about a second: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=940789#Post940789