IGNORED

Valves/Cam Timing

JT R1200R

Got around to checking the valves on my 2015 R1200R today, it only had 5100 Miles, an oil change was due so decided to check the valves, Valves were all in spec, but the cam timing was off a little, couldn't get the go-no-go tool on, so since I have the BMW tools I adjusted the cam timing, pretty easy job with the tools, the timing chain cam tensioner tool works pretty slick, 3 clicks after set and your ready to test, the go no go tool on the cams makes it a no brainer. I do like the TDC pin location tool makes quick work of setting TDC. I didn't notice really a difference though through the butt dyno our listening to the engine.

There's an old Adv rider thread on the tools, it's prob been discussed here also. I saw it a couple of years ago. Since I do all my maintenance I picked up the tools. They are only needed though to adjust the cam timing, not needed for just a valve check., I figure since I do my one work it would be good to have.

I see a few older threads where cam timing was off on a few bikes on the first check then that seems to be it, I think the service Manual wants you to check the cam timing if you pull the cams to change shims but I doubt many do it.

Any others seeing cam timing moving after it's set in the first valve service if it's found to be off?

-Jim

Edited by JT R1200R
  • 4 weeks later...

I have ordered the tools to check cam timing. It seems as if the cam chain tensioning tool is no longer available. Does anyone have one they no longer need/want that they would like to sell? Or, does anyone has one they would be willing to rent?

Nobody has yet reported any cam phase movement once properly set. It would seem to be impossible unless a cam drive gear were to slip on its shaft.

The only way that I can see the cam timing changing over time is after a significant timing chain "stretch". (People talks about chain stretch, but that is false. The chain actually gains slight additional length, over time and load, from the wears in the pin/bushing of the rollers.)

I don't buy the gear slipping at any time, because if it starts to slip at all, it will keep slipping, and in short order you will surely notice it, especially when the piston runs into one of the valve!! :)

Edited by PadG

I agree, that a cam gear slipping would be catastrophic! Seems to me that cam chain stretch would not affect the cam to cam phasing, but would affect the overall valve timing with respect to TDC. The phasing is controlled by the drive gears and they don't stretch.

I agree, that a cam gear slipping would be catastrophic! Seems to me that cam chain stretch would not affect the cam to cam phasing, but would affect the overall valve timing with respect to TDC. The phasing is controlled by the drive gears and they don't stretch.

Actually, timing chain stretch WILL affect cam timing. You need to think about it. A while back, I had gone through proofing to Lee (LAF) in this forum of the fact, and I am just too lazy to go through it again!!! :) Think of the fact that when you have chain "stretch", the pitch distances between rollers WILL increase!

Valve timing is affected by the gap.

Actually, timing chain stretch WILL affect cam timing. You need to think about it. A while back, I had gone through proofing to Lee (LAF) in this forum of the fact, and I am just too lazy to go through it again!!! :) Think of the fact that when you have chain "stretch", the pitch distances between rollers WILL increase!

Morning PadG

Read AZgman's post again__

Originally Posted by AZgman

"I agree, that a cam gear slipping would be catastrophic! Seems to me that cam chain stretch would not affect the cam to cam phasing, but would affect the overall valve timing with respect to TDC. The phasing is controlled by the drive gears and they don't stretch"

He is saying that cam chain stretch WOULD effect valve timing compared to TDC (basic valve timing). He was just stating the cam chain stretch would not effect the cam to cam positioning or phasing. (at least this is the way I read it anyhow)

I was talking about cam to cam phasing, not valve timing relative to TDC. And thanks dirtrider for sticking up for me!

Edited by AZgman