IGNORED

Ocala, FL area?

Exploreinman

I'm thinking about doing a December January ride in the Ocalla Florida area. I ride a GS so I'm wondering what the paved roads and dirt roads are like in that area. Is it a good place to ride?

I'm thinking about doing a December January ride in the Ocalla Florida area. I ride a GS so I'm wondering what the paved roads and dirt roads are like in that area. Is it a good place to ride?

Yes, has some of the better riding in Florida. For paved, the roads in horse country NW of Ocala between McIntosh, Micanopy, and Williston are pretty scenic. Going south, backroads around Umatilla, Mt. Dora, and north of Clermont are nice too.

For dirt, the big roads (they're on a grid) in Ocala NF are mostly hard packed clay and no problem for a big bike. To the west the roads in Goethe SF are limerock and easy to ride and on the east side of Lake George, Lake George Conservation area has hard packed roads too. Too bad the ferry has been closed since last year because it's a direct shot.

If you want I could draw up some stuff. Also we have the Polar Bear Rally 1st weekend of January at Goldhead SP, a lot of small bike stuff but there are GS rides each day and a streetbike ride on Saturday too. Sunday is the most scenic of the GS offroad rides. Here's a link and there are some campsites still available if staying at the park, the cabins go pretty quick : )

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-polar-bear-adventure-rally.1339234/

Also the BMWNEF Winter Rally is a week or two later but usually sells out so you'd need to check. https://bmwnef.org/rally/

Roadscholar, that would be great! If I were going to be in the Ocala area for 3 days of riding what would be your suggestions for best routes to ride?

Be careful if he maps you anywhere near the St. Johns River...Bill has a sense of humor! :grin:

IMG_5700_zps6693777f.jpg

Pat

That's not the St. Johns River it's the Black Lagoon, hmm maybe the creature does ride a GS :grin:

Ok back to business, nuff shenanigans..

This one'll get you started Exploreinman, I don't know if you can tell the direction of travel but go north to Micanopy then loop back around. There are a couple dirt roads but nothing sandy, also two good restaurants and one really good one on the route. The Yearling in Cross Creek, the Florida Cafe (soup and sammies) in Micanopy, and the Ivey House in Williston (excellent). Also you can stop at Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings home in Cross Creek and take a quick tour if you like.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H6IbK5FwSU7Rk_uhqG4PqbI0hT20_aU1&usp=sharing

We use to watch the Creature From The Black Lagoon every Friday night as kids. My father would project it onto the white refrigerator using tapes something like the one below. Boy, he knew how to entertain the troops on the cheap! :grin:

Magtape1.jpg

Pat

And another, a little (firm) dirt but not much, mostly some of the better pavement in central Fla. Lunch in Mt.Dora or Howey in the Hills. Mt. Dora is a cool little town to walk around in and has several good restaurants, two I like are the Goblin Market and Lakeside Inn. In Howey it's JB Boondocks on the lake. I sent you over Sugarloaf Mtn I think the highest point on the peninsula, a whopping 350 or so feet above sea level : )

Google Maps is a little wonky so there's a few glitches but nothing major, LMK if you have any questions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fqLuFkp-WaYOlOIqkuUtJqtcA3ACW0B6&usp=sharing

Thank you Roadscholar! Those look good! I'm looking to get away for a few days over the holidays and go somewhere a little warmer to do a little riding. This just might fit the bill:)

No skunk apes Tim but a gator disturbed me once when he decided to cross from one swamp to another right in front of me! Wasn't that far from Cedar Key either : )

Be careful if he maps you anywhere near the St. Johns River...Bill has a sense of humor! :grin:

IMG_5700_zps6693777f.jpg

Pat

That is hilarious!!! Well done!!

IMG_3204-XL.jpg

I hope my RT doesn't see this photo - Lord knows if she does, she'll no doubt veer off again on points unknown looking for a crossing like this so she can toss me off again!

High Springs was an interesting stop. Not sure what the temps would be that time of year but Ginnie Springs was something to see. :thumbsup:

Ginnie%20Springs-1.jpg

Pat

Looks like Bill can ride down one side, pick up the damsel and ride out on the other side.

Edited by Indy Dave
Looks like Bill can ride down one side, pick up the damsel and ride out on the other side.

I'm sure he could, I've seen him in action more than once! :thumbsup:

Pat

High Springs was an interesting stop. Not sure what the temps would be that time of year but Ginnie Springs was something to see. :thumbsup:

Ginnie%20Springs-1.jpg

Pat

Pat the air temp varies a good bit in Winter but the water temp in Florida's springs is always the same, about 72*. So when it's chilly out the water actually seems warm : )

Edited by roadscholar
And inviting.

C'mon down, get a group maybe make a rolling mini rally out of it, a little swimming, a lot of riding, some good eatin' and stay at a few historic hotels and end up at Tim's shindig in Cedar Key.. hey, I've had worse ideas : )

Course we'd probably need somebody with good organizational and announcing skills. :wave:

Lakeside Inn, Mt.Dora

lakesideinn_front.jpg

645dde3a_y.jpg

lakeside-inn-mt-dora-wedding-inspirational-lakeside-inn-136-ic2b61ic2b66ic2b65ic2b6-updated-2018-prices-amp-hotel-reviews-of-lakeside-inn-mt-dora-wedding.jpg

or the Jacaranda in Avon Park

Hotel-Jacaranda-Avon-Park-10-11-2013_5723.jpg

palm-room.jpg

Edited by roadscholar

That sounds like a great idea, Bill, and those Inns look intriguing. Right now I have the Mrs on board for Ceder Key. :clap: I'll let that soak in a bit. As much of a Saint as Mrs Indy Dave is, I do not see a bike being involved in this trip. I do like the idea, perhaps another time (for me anyway). :thumbsup:

I'm suddenly feeling like a Florida ride around after seeing these pictures!

Bill should start a tour company called "old Florida by motorcycle" Disney it ain't! :facepalm: Just to be clear, I think Disney sucks! :grin:

Pat

"Florida" is a different place and ride depending on where you are.

Plenty of nice riding areas, if one knows where they are.

Bill knows.

Bill knows.

These "Cedar Key" - "Ocala" riding threads are making me long for a winter ride to Florida. :thumbsup: I will miss this winter due to total knee surgery on 1/23/19, however I am already thinking of next winter season.

I am certainly hoping Tallman, Bill, Bernie and other Florida BMWST folks will have another Cedar Key event or another BMWST event next winter.

If the event is marketed early and include some suggested routes and perhaps some off road options, I suspect we would have a very large turnout! :clap::Yes::bike:

Edited by Endobobdds

Bill knows.

These "Cedar Key" - "Ocala" riding threads are making me long for a winter ride to Florida. :thumbsup: I will miss this winter due to total knee surgery on 1/23/19, however I am already thinking of next winter season.

I am certainly hoping Tallman, Bill, Bernie and other Florida BMWST folks will have another Cedar Key event or another BMWST event next winter.

If the event is marketed early and include some suggested routes and perhaps some off road options, I suspect we would have a very large turnout! :clap::Yes::bike:

Bob that would be fun and is something I've thought about for years. If someone would take the reins and let a few of us (old timers : ) have some input I think it could turn into something. I don't have the time to devote to running it, a buddy and I already do the Polar Bear Adv Rally (early Jan.) and two Trans-Fla Rallies every year (March and October) and believe it or not they combine to keep us somewhat occupied 8 or 9 months of the year.

Like Tim says there is still plenty of good street riding in the interior and a whole lot of good dirt stuff. I've been routing the Trans Fla 6 or 7 years now and have stuff cris-crossing the state between Ormond, Flagler, Crescent Bch, St. Augustine, and Jacksonville to Homassassa, Yankeetown, Cedar Key, and Steinhatchee. When we run out of roads we turn it around and run em backwards : ) The three day rides I posted for Exploreinman out of Ocala are a good mix old Fla scenery with some easy GS dirt thrown in. I'll work on drawing up some street only stuff for those going to Cedar key that might want to wander off for lunch one or two days. If anyone hasn't figured it out yet, Winter is the time to ride here : )

" If anyone hasn't figured it out yet, Winter is the time to ride here : ) "

Yes, Bill, winter time is the main FL riding season.

Tim has been organizing Cedar Key for many years and it is usually the weekend after Martin Luther King Holiday.

If for some reason he can't, Ken or I will gladly assist him with the organizing the event in future.

So, Bob if you want to make it a one or two weeks escape from the frozen tundra, you include the BMW-NEF Winter Rally (MLK Weekend).

Then you can use the time between the Winter Rally and Cedar Key to explore all of North and Central Florida.

And yes there are plenty of paved hidden roads out there. Of course these are not mountain roads, but they can be very entertaining.

Plus there are lots of small restaurants and coffee shops hidden in tiny towns.

I am sure between Bill(Roadscholar), Tim and I, we can keep you entertained.

Bob,

We have a 1,000 miles of connected routes called

"Tour of Tallahassee".

Usually within 60-80 miles of here running thru the Big Bend area.

This is 15th year of Cedar Key.

It is the week before the Super Bowl (off week for NFL playoffs) for reference.

This can vary wrt Freeze Your Buns Rally at Camp Blanding and MLK Jr holiday.

We promoted the first year CK on 3 boards and had over 104 BMW bikes and more riders.

The next year almost as many.

Decided to cut back to just BMWST and since then we have had 30-80 show up.

MOSTLY an opportunity to get together in the winter between El Paseo/BRR/FART/START events.

So, next year will roll around and hopefully CK XVI will too.

Make your plans accordingly.

:Cool:

Bill, Bernie, and Tim - Thanks for all the good information on Cedar Key and winter riding in Florida. I should be totally retired by next year and will hope to be able to have CK on my schedule! :thumbsup: