IGNORED

1150rs exhaust

Ld2002rs

What options are there for aftermarket exhaust systems that are cost effective and ease of installation, without being too obnoxiously loud?

What options are there for aftermarket exhaust systems that are cost effective and ease of installation, without being too obnoxiously loud?

Afternoon Ld2002rs

That is a difficult target to hit!

Most are easy enough to install but the cost thing is difficult.

The not "obnoxiously loud" isn't too difficult to hit but THAT usually isn't the problem. You need to add another classification & that is ANNOYING while riding. It's that annoying droning sound that is difficult to avoid with most aftermarket BMW boxer exhaust systems due to the rather lame evenly spaced power pulses from a 360° firing 2 cylinder boxer.

Great to know, stay with stock you think?

Evening Ld2002rs

There is little to no performance gain with any of the BMW 2 cylinder boxer aftermarket systems, plus the basic engine design sounds like farting underwater so there is usually a flat droning sound coming out of the muffler so no gain in getting a pleasing sound.

There must be a compelling reason that you see very very few BMW boxer bikes with aftermarket exhaust systems.

Thank you! Pretty much what I've heard, so stock it will stay, a few adjustments to the handle bar position and I believe I'm good to go!

Co$t effective?

None.

Ea$e?

Ye$. Except for wallet.

Define obnoxious.

BMW engineers do a really good job wrt exhaust systems, noise, EPAish, etc.

All aftermarket system I know of have trade offs.

Little improvement here for losses there.

Now, with enough money you can reduce weight of the bike with aftermarket.

OK.

Most of us could lose the equivalent amount from our personal chassis and have a faster bike with a healthier rider, IMO.

These machines require maintenance.

IMO< you are better served buying or making tools for basic service and needed parts.

Your bike is on track for new brakes lines (stainless aftermarket) due to age.

It also may need other things that have been overlooked (belts/fuel filters, in tank fuel lines just to mention a couple).

So, ride ti.

Guess that is seasonal in oHIo.

Most of us who rode RS/RSL's do not add barbacks, FWIW.

Bob's BMW sells barbax for about $100 if you decide to.

I'll add my $.02: My 1100RS has a staintune exhaust that the previous owner put on there. I don't really understand the motivation to do that. It's on the order of a grand, and it really does sound like a flat fart. I don't think it's a whole lot louder than the stock exhaust, and as others have said, there really isn't much, if any performance gain. Personally, I look at it, and think to myself "didn't this thing come with a muffler?"

When we lived in Hawaii, some guys were in the parking lot when we returned to our bikes. One of them said "Oh, a BMW! (they're rare on the Big Island) WOW! I gotta hear this!" I told him not to get his hopes up. I fired it up, and revved it a bit for him. We all had a big laugh. My wife's F650CS (stock exhaust) sounds better, in my opinion.