IGNORED

Gas availability on Christmas Day

kioolt

Do to an appointment I have on 12/27 I will need to drive my car from Birmingham to Baltimore on Christmas Day. I will need to stop for gas about every 300 to 400 miles. Does anyone know about gas stations being open on Christmas Day along the major interstates? I'm not asking for specific stations just a general answer of whether stations are or are not open on Christmas along the interstates.

I don't know about your crazy coast over there, but over here near the west coast any station at a freeway/interstate exit will be open. The only station I'd expect to be closed would be the small mom and pop shop, and frankly there aren't many of those left.

Probably been close to 20 years ago, but I drove from Baltimore to Daytona Beach on Christmas day. There were enough stations open at major intersections to gas up. Some stations were closed, but at least one was open at major exits. You can't be choosy on your brand. I bet I didn't see 20 large trucks the entire trip. Wonderful drive...

You will have to look rather hard to find a gas station/convenience store NOT open on Christmas day. And should you find one that the actual store is closed, there is a high chance that the pumps will still work with a credit card like normal. I love to travel on major Holidays, the traffic is so much less!

I do miss the times when business's closed by 12 on Saturday, not much was open on Sunday, and by 6 pm most everything was closed up weekdays. I think we miss something with the instant shopping gratification.

And it looks like I will get my wish.....if online shopping keeps growing. Won't be ANY business open on Main Street!

Now that it appears I won't have trouble getting gas, what kind of places to eat will be open? I will probably pack something to eat but it would be nice if I could get a hot meal somewhere.

I would say that by noon there will be a lot of choices. I typically pack my beloved scrambled egg sandwiches and LOTS of good home brewed coffee. Holds me to mid day at least......

Most fast food joints and there is always Cracker Barrel for the older crowd.

Or, get yourself a twofer right here. Plenty of gas after dinner! :D

taco-bell.jpg

Pat

Waffle House is always open if your arteries can stand it...

Did a Nashville weekend last fall. Preferred restaurant (Loveless Cafe) had a 2-hour wait line. Found a newer WH north and waited an hour for seating.

Damn John, makes me homesick. I grew up about 10 minutes from the Loveless before that area was even considered Nashville. We ate there all the time before it was a "thing". Miss the country ham and red eye gravy...

Waffle House is always open if your arteries can stand it...

Did a Nashville weekend last fall. Preferred restaurant (Loveless Cafe) had a 2-hour wait line. Found a newer WH north and waited an hour for seating.

Damn John, makes me homesick. I grew up about 10 minutes from the Loveless before that area was even considered Nashville. We ate there all the time before it was a "thing". Miss the country ham and red eye gravy...

yeah, Loveless is getting a bit touristy. Try Beacon Light Tea Room a little further down the road. sssshhhh. ;)

Edited by greiffster

Slab is open.

Gas and food along the slabs are open.

You will have a lot to choose from.

Under 800 miles?

I'd only have to stop once.

Road trip requires sustenance.

Bring Pringles/jerky/chocolate/coconut/beverages, cooler, garbage bag.

Good to go.

Safe travels.

...Bring Pringles/jerky/chocolate/coconut/beverages, cooler, garbage bag.....

If it were me, I'd be bringing the garbage bag to barf in, after eating all that crap. :wave:

...Bring Pringles/jerky/chocolate/coconut/beverages, cooler, garbage bag.....

If it were me, I'd be bringing the garbage bag to barf in, after eating all that crap. :wave:

Au contraire

This is the way to do 1,000 mile days with 1 stop out west.

2 stops east of the Miss I sip ah.

And, it is all organicish.

:wave:

More the pity.

I used to eat habaneros off the plant.

Always liked spice and seasonings.

Like jalapeno chocolates with Xocoveza Imperial Stout.

Different strokes...