IGNORED

Fuel line disconnects

Dave P

Hi folks, 96RT i just pulled the tank yesterday to replace the internal lines, fuel pump base bushing and sock. Ive never used the quick disconnects on the external lines. The metal disconnects seem kinda pricy, does anyone use the plastic ones? Also, do the lines still need to be clamped off before they disconnect (so gas doesnt flood out)? Thanks! Dave

Don't use the plastic junk. They break if you look at them sideways. With the QD's on the lines you don't have to fully drain the tank or plug the lines. The metal ones from Beemer Boneyard are worth the price.

The Fabricator

The plastic QD's will work, are not as durable as the metal ones. Answer to your question "Do they need to be clamped off so gas doesn't flood out?" is there are QD's with automatic shut off valves built in to them. That means as the male and female connectors are separated, a shut off valve closes simultaneously and automatically. A few drops may spill. QD's are also available WITHOUT shut offs. With shut offs are about 2x more than w/o shut offs. Go with metal.

Edited by The Fabricator

If you have the oem plastic ones they DO NOT need to be clamped when disconnected to prevent fuel flow. I had the male OEM black plastic ones break on me about 10 years ago. I found an exact replacement one at McMaster Carr except they were white. So far I have only replaced the OEM black plastic ones on my bike. The white ones from McMaster Carr have been on ever since. I just try to use a lot more care when disconnecting them. The bike now has about 188k miles on it.

Or if you're cheap like me you can clamp the hoses, put a bolt in and use an FI clamp on the bolt/ hose.

Take the wifey to dinner at the Sherwood with the $75 because she let you buy the bike.

Depends how often you pull the tank I suppose.

Hi folks, 96RT i just pulled the tank yesterday to replace the internal lines, fuel pump base bushing and sock. Ive never used the quick disconnects on the external lines. The metal disconnects seem kinda pricy, does anyone use the plastic ones? Also, do the lines still need to be clamped off before they disconnect (so gas doesnt flood out)? Thanks! Dave

Morning Dave

Your 1100RT didn't come with quick disconnects & for most riders they are not really need on the 1100 as the tank only gets removed every few years. (tank removal isn't required for normal brake service).

If someone has already added the later factory plastic QD's then as long as you don't abuse them, or put a bending force on them, then they shouldn't cause you any issues (possibly should replace the internal "O" rings at first disconnect though).

With any quick disconnect-- the secret to having a long leak-free life is to be sure to hold the trigger all the way down during the dis-connect or re-connect as that prevents nicking the internal "O" rings as the QD's slide apart or together.

By far the most leak free set-up is "no" quick disconnects as what you don't have can't leak or seep. Metal is usually better than plastic but not absolutely required if you are careful & don't heavy hand them or allow the hoses to put a bending force on the plastic QD's.

If you plan on removing the tank a couple of times a year then quick disconnects are a good investment, on the other hand if you only plan on removing the tank every few years then no real need for the added complexity of adding quick disconnects.

If you don't have self-sealing quick disconnects (or don't even have quick disconnects) then you can buy a few cheap plastic brake hose clamp-off pliers & simply snap them on the hoses during tank removal to prevent fuel flowing out of the hoses.

Quite right DirtRider, but remember what happened to our friend Richard in the video below, with his K12, which has the same plastic QDs as are on many boxer bikes.

This male union failed whilst he was on the road, not when he was connecting or dis-connecting the actual QD. These plastic male unions fail simply with age.

In my opinion, QDs in fuel lines are a very good investment and make tank removal for battery maintenance much easier. Remember, it's only our dear German pals at the "Bikes Made Weird" firm that decided to locate the battery beneath the fuel tank - crazy.

But any male plastic QDs MUST be replaced with the chromed brass version at the earliest possible opportunity. There is no need to replace the female part - that never snaps. Unlike the wife....

Otherwise....

AL in s.e. Spain

Edited by Alan Sykes
Quite right DirtRider, but remember what happened to our friend Richard in the video below, with his K12, which has the same plastic QDs as are on many boxer bikes.

This male union failed whilst he was on the road, not when he was connecting or dis-connecting the actual QD. These plastic male unions fail simply with age.

In my opinion, QDs in fuel lines are a very good investment and make tank removal for battery maintenance much easier. Remember, it's only our dear German pals at the "Bikes Made Weird" firm that decided to locate the battery beneath the fuel tank - crazy.

But any male plastic QDs MUST be replaced with the chromed brass version at the earliest possible opportunity. There is no need to replace the female part - that never snaps. Unlike the wife....

Otherwise....

AL in s.e. Spain

Morning Alan

Without knowing the history of WHO worked on that K bike, how much they abused the quick disconnects, or how the QD's, or the hoses, were re-routed, re-secured re- assembled then any QD failure is more likely to be due to manhandling the QD's than to any plastic QD defect.

Find me ANY 1100/1150RT that has had a plastic QD failure that hasn't had previous work done to the fuel system or had the tank removed? BMW even had a service bulletin on just such a possible failure due to QD abuse during service.

As far as removing the fuel tank JUST to check the battery? Who in their right mind would do that? Most replacement batteries (in the USA anyhow) installed in the BMW 1100/1150RT bikes are now sealed so no service or checking required. On the very/very few that still use the old lead/acid battery with a vent tube then the battery can be slid out the L/H side for checking or if both side Tupperware is removed then the rear of the fuel tank can simply be lifted up & propped up to allow access (no hose disconnection required).

Without knowing the history of WHO worked on that K bike, how much they abused the quick disconnects, or how the QD's, or the hoses, were re-routed, re-secured re- assembled then any QD failure is more likely to be due to manhandling the QD's than to any plastic QD defect.

Find me ANY 1100/1150RT that has had a plastic QD failure that hasn't had previous work done to the fuel system or had the tank removed? BMW even had a service bulletin on just such a possible failure due to QD abuse during service.

As far as removing the fuel tank JUST to check the battery? Who in their right mind would do that? Most replacement batteries (in the USA anyhow) installed in the BMW 1100/1150RT bikes are now sealed so no service or checking required. On the very/very few that still use the old lead/acid battery with a vent tube then the battery can be slid out the L/H side for checking or if both side Tupperware is removed then the rear of the fuel tank can simply be lifted up & propped up to allow access (no hose disconnection required).

+1 to that. Moreover, with the later 1150's they even added an easy access tab for allowing you to connect to the +ve terminal.

BUT the tank does have to come off fairly regularly on the 1150 for the Servo bleed. I really like the Q.D.'s and think they make life a lot easier. However, I changed my plastic ones over to the metal ones, to reduce the chance of breaking the nose of the male Q.D. off. A tiny bit of fuel over the male and female portions and they slide together easily with a nice positive 'click'.

Hi again DR

I don't wish to get into another head-to-head with you.....

But....

I deal constantly with the world's leading BMW Motorrad old-bikes spares distributor Motorworks in Yorkshire in the Divided Kingdom.

They tell me quite unequivocally that plastic male QD fuel line unions fail with age. That's why even BMW AG quietly began supplying revised connectors in the light of constant failures. The plastic originals fail with the passing of time, not necessarily or exclusively as a result of repeated manhandling. End of story.

As to the issue of the need for fuel tank removal to facilitate maintenance jobs on these old bikes, the only way to replace a failed battery - or flush the ABS unit - or replace a throttle or Cold Start cable - or a clutch hydraulic hose - or attend to a sticking cable-distributor box under the ABS unit - or chase a fault on heated grips - or lift the rear frame - or... or....etc., etc.  is to remove the tank. Various Tupperware, four fuel and vent lines, an electrical connector and thirteen bolts. Enough said.

My gentle advice would be for you to refrain from simply going along with and slavishly following everything that Berlin and Munich expound. History has clearly shown, especially during the first part of the previous century, that they can be somewhat wrong-headed. Unquestioning brand-loyalty can be a faulty philosophy.

Edited by Alan Sykes

I deal constantly with the world's leading BMW Motorrad old-bikes spares distributor Motorworks in Yorkshire in the Divided Kingdom.

They tell me quite unequivocally that plastic male QD fuel line unions fail with age.

Say what you will about those unions failing with age. If they are left alone undisturbed, we don't hear of failures. The only time it comes to light is when they are involved in being disassembled (or more to the point, re-assembled).

That's why even BMW AG quietly began supplying revised connectors in the light of constant failures.
I can't argue with that, as they are indeed much more robust units.

The plastic originals fail with the passing of time, not necessarily or exclusively as a result of repeated manhandling. End of story.
That is a very bold claim...'End of story'. What data have you got to back that up?

My gentle advice would be for you to refrain from simply going along with and slavishly following everything that Berlin and Munich expound.
DR does not need me or anyone else on this forum to protect him, none the less, you always seem to want to pitch in and be destructive towards his amazing willingness to spend days helping folk out of problems. Yet you stroll in and out with constant moaning about BMW's and critical of the likes of DR. So why don't you take a dose of your own 'gentle advice' and be more gracious in your commentaries.
Hi again DR

I don't wish to get into another head-to-head with you.....

Afternoon Alan

Then why do you keep doing it over & over & over again?

--------------Reply Removed -----------

Have a good day --I'm done with this thread___________________