IGNORED

New 750GS Ride Report

RandyShields

I had the opportunity to take the new 750GS for a short ride today when my dealer gave a demo to me while my K1600 was in for its 24K service. My impressions were positive and very similar to the recent ride reports on this and its more off-road focused sibling, the 850 GS. Here are some initial impressions:

• Very, very smooth motor; it feels bigger than it is. Quick and torquey off the line, but very smooth, even at highway speeds. No jerkiness at all. Handling seems great; I bet it would be awesome up in the mountains at 500 lbs. wet, even with bags on it.

• Clutch is very smooth. No problems finding N.

• Not too tall. I could flatfoot it easily, but it does seem a bit cramped. Just not as roomy seat to pegs as a 1200GS. It is nice and narrow at the tank with a comfortable, neutral riding position. I understand this is a lower bike than the 850.

• Seat is pretty hard. That would probably need to be traded out, as well as the windscreen, which does not help at all. Too much wind in the upper body, particularly at 50° degrees! Handguards would also be a needed farkle. (Thank goodness for heated grips.)

• I loved the TFT display. It is very easy to see, even in the sunlight. Although I would miss my analog tach.

• Brakes felt solid and smooth.

• Loved the Austin yellow color!

• Overall, a very competent middleweight bike that could do a lot.

Randy

Let's see, 1971 Honda 750 was a b e a s t !

Right?

67 hp

518 pounds

GS

77 hp

493 pounds

(using same source for figures)

Hmmmm...

Right you are Tim! Great observation. That was the first bike I lusted after but had to settle for a 450. Yes, the steady increase in quality and performance over the past 45+ years has been incredible. I have commented to others how good all motorcycles are for the past 10 years. Fit, finish and performance as a group are astounding, particularly in historic context. A rising tide raises all boats, so to speak. And looking at your list of motorcycles, you have experienced that firsthand.

Randy

I'm sure that I would find the 750 GS a more compact bike than my '15 RT...but it still seems to be a big bike. I guess what was a big bike in the 60's and 70's is now considered a middle weight today although a 500LB plus machine is still getting hefty in any era. The big difference that makes it all work is power to weight increased with HP doubling or tripling per cc which has covered up the gigantism that crept into motorcycles, as well as improved drivability and handling overall.

Make no mistake as my tag line suggests, I am firmly in the motorcycles today are awesome camp!

Nice review Randy! Thanks! So at 6'3" I suspect it would be even more cramped for me. I too am warming up to the TFT display but man I too would miss my analog tach. I would love to ride the 850 GSA that looks to be a bit taller.

Also, in the new issue or Rider Mark Tuttle talks about the modern bikes versus the old and what changes he likes and what he would prefer the "old" Most all I am on the same page with. While we all think about how simple life was back in the old days that "simple" life was not so rosy with non-abs drum brakes, points to set and weak sealed beam headlights.

Yes, probably not as comfortable as your current rides. But you can find out for sure at the GS demo ride event this Saturday at Motorcycles of Charlotte. Bring your rain gear.

Randy

Let's see, 1971 Honda 750 was a b e a s t !

Right?

67 hp

518 pounds

GS

77 hp

493 pounds

(using same source for figures)

Hmmmm...

And at that time, everyone agreed ( well most everyone) that no one would ever need more HP! :grin:

And at that time, everyone agreed ( well most everyone) that no one would ever need more HP! :grin:

Umm, maybe you forgot about Kawasaki :D

H1 500

H1 750

KZ900

Z1-R-TC (Kawasaki/ American Turbo Pack joint venture)

and if you go into the '80s Kawi's own turbo effort

GPz 750 Turbo

All the fastest production motorcycles when introduced....Clear for Kawasaki and their riders more HP was still not enough!

I road the Z1-R-TC with a welded crank and upped boost and learned on that bike the faster you go, the faster you go!! I chickened out north of 160 MPH. I wasn't looking at the speedometer anymore as the interstate looked like a country two lane road and even though the road was very sparse with traffic I closed on the few vehicles out there at ~100 MPH+ to their speed. Seemed like they were parked!

But since my testosterone addled youth I came to value balance performance and good handling...I will trade shear HP for great tractability and handling every time!

Edited by Paul De
Yes, probably not as comfortable as your current rides. But you can find out for sure at the GS demo ride event this Saturday at Motorcycles of Charlotte. Bring your rain gear.

Randy

With rain and maybe snow forecast I suspect the "Adventure Demo" will be much less of an adventure and not be held. But we will see