IGNORED

Nice Low Speed Skill Demo On a GS

TEWKS

That's the real beauty of the GS, besides being a great touring bike and corner carver, it's almost a monster trials bike. It is so well balanced that that type of riding isn't terribly difficult with some practice. Between the wide bars and the low CG from the horizontally opposed reciprocating mass I think the physics is somewhat similar to a tight-rope walker's bar. He only has to move it in small increments to keep his balance.

You guys know I've long promoted standing on the pegs, it's the only way you can do that successfully, the bike becomes a separate entity and is far more controllable by the rider at those speeds. I used to practice slow speed u-turns, 360's, and figure 8's on my 1150Adv, and sometimes with a passenger. I was (very : ) late to get a motorcycle endorsement on my license and when I went for the riding test took an 1150GS for the tight parking lot maneuvers. Had to come to a near stop several times for the 90* boxes. When we finished the officer said, I've never seen anyone do that before : )

Bill that's something to be very proud of. My test was go straight to 5 mph and stop. Kinda sad. At least I've survived.

"Test?"

There wasn't no dadgum test when I started.

Maybe there was, I think the evaluator fell off the back...

:wave:

Bill that's something to be very proud of. My test was go straight to 5 mph and stop. Kinda sad. At least I've survived.

"Test?"

There wasn't no dadgum test when I started.

Maybe there was, I think the evaluator fell off the back...

:wave:

Mine was pretty complicated compared to yours, Mr. Hill (but I admit I'm assuming it was a “few” years before mine”) - I had to “Go that way shifting up - try to get to third if you can - then turn around and come back to a stop here next to me.”

This was in 1998. Alaska may have been a little behind the times.

Think I told my "Test" story before but what the heck.

I took my car and motorcycle test back to back, my father drove the car and I the bike to Malden Ma. for the exam. I went with the officer in the car and we drove around the city for five or ten minutes and then returned to the registry.

He then said take your motorcycle and do that exact same route...Ok he couldn't see any of it once I left the parking lot. :dontknow: A while later I figured it out, sure he was thinking if I wasn't killed in that city traffic, I was good to go. ;):thumbsup: 1981 BTW.

Pat