IGNORED

brighter headlights

RTnger

I want to make my headlight beams brighter. Anyone done that?

Has anyone done an HID Xenon headlight conversion?

Edited by RTnger

Short answer: Yes someone has done that

Long answer: If you replace an incandescent bulb with another incandescent, you'll find that light output is inversely proportional to how long they last. If you're OK replacing more expensive bulbs more frequently, go for it. Colored bulbs may appear brighter but if they're colored because filter out every wavelength besides, say, blue, you're actually reducing the number of photons going out the front so the effect is an anti-improvement.

LEDs can be much brighter but don't play well with reflectors designed for incandescents - the incandescent has light source that basically a bright line. An LED has a light source that is a rectangular patch, so some of the source will be at the reflector's focus and most won't. So you'll get more glare for oncoming traffic and more light where it doesn't do you much good.

Most aftermarket lights have a conical beam pattern and are therefore not DOT approved for on-road use (but cops don't seem too inclined to cite people for using them). DOT-approved driving (not fog) lights with shaped beams are your best bet if you want to see better on the highway.

My opinions are free and are worth what you pay for them!

I have done the HID Xenon conversion on both my 2007 RT and my 2016 RT

used DDM tuning both times. done various cars too.

Yes much brighter

needed 2 in the 07 bike, but only 1 in the 2016 and cost the same :(

I got 35 watt 4500K lights. with slim ballasts

was an easy install on the 07 and a little more tougher on the 16, finding a good place to stash the ballast since this bike has speakers

I have not had any issues with the Cam Bus on either bike.

Every once in a while ( 3 or 4 times this year ) I will get a light out flash on the screen, when first putting on the brakes and I think that's due to the ballast not fully energized yet and pulling a draw on the electrical for brakes ( don't quote me on that thou )

I am definitely a happy camper with them., but I also have my old set of PIAA aux lights mounted and in use for the commute, so I'm very visible

I want to make my headlight beams brighter. Anyone done that?

Has anyone done an HID Xenon headlight conversion?

Yes, I have.

I have been down the HID route and ALSO the LED route.

In brief, the LED's were much better.

Here's why:

They switch on instantly.

They are a nice colour (depending on what you buy of course)!

Install was easy.

For Low beam, the beam pattern was sharper than the HID's.

I used the LED's with the braid for cooling (not the ones with fans on).

Highly recommended.

Don't buy bargain basement LED's.