IGNORED

09 R1200 RT Extenda Fenda

Bigfish

Wanting to remove stock front fender in order to add the Extenda Fenda. Need advise. This 09 is new to me.

I removed the 3 bolts on each side of fender and there is more to do. Pretty sure the front wheel has to come off.

Had to order the 22mm allen socket from amazon prime.

Do I need to remove the front silver tupperware from the black? Is it just held on by a clips. I don't want to break anything and I pulled pretty hard but it seemed fairly solid.

Should I not try to separate the two fender pieces?

34o4n00.png

Edited by Bigfish

Morning Bigfish

To remove the front fender beak there are 2 screws under the beak's lower lip on each side, just remove the screws & the beak will slide right off. (will also need to come off to remove front wheel)

oGhC2MH.jpg

Thanks D.R. But I need to admit I feel like a complete idiot :dopeslap: because I removed those two screws on both sides and pulled every which way and it did not come right off like you mentioned. Looking at your picture, I think maybe it is a pull straight out the up at the same time? Can hardly wait to get home from work to give it another go. Might do a video for you if I am unsuccessful so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Success!!! Beak was removed with a little side flexing and pull out and up motion.

Waiting on 22mm allen Socket for the front Axle. Once the front wheel is removed, I am assuming it will be obvious on what bolts are holding on the front fender.

Any Loctite bolts needing heat?

I've been helped so much in the past from this D.R. dude. Just noticed he puts his "D.R." initials on his posted photos. Making them look natural... kinda fun searching for them.

Edited by Bigfish
Success!!! Beak was removed with a little side flexing and pull out and up motion.

Waiting on 22mm allen Socket for the front Axle. Once the front wheel is removed, I am assuming it will be obvious on what bolts are holding on the front fender.

Any Loctite bolts needing heat?

Morning Bigfish

Just a couple of screws holding the rear part of the front fender on (you already removed the lower leg screws).

No heat needed but the screws are Micro-encapsulated so are re-usable only about once, then you will have to use blue lock-tite.

On removing the front wheel-- The brake calipers will have to be removed to get the wheel off & to get the calipers off you will need to push the brake pads back. Put a rag or other protection on the wheel rim where the calipers will hit so that you don't nick the front rim with the calipers.

Also, either remove the front wheel speed sensor first or be VERY CAERFUL to not damage the wheel sensor when removing the wheel. (very easy to damage it)

You will have to support the front of the engine to get the weight off of the front wheel. I usually use a ratchet strap (or piece of rope) to tie the center stand to the bike front as it is real easy to knock a 1200 off of the center stand when working on it.

If I had it to do over again never mind the fenda extenda I'd have put on a bash plate. The lower front of my R1200ST's engine case has the crap battered out of it, including one wide dent and more than half the coating hammered off. Not sure why, I mostly avoid gravel and don't even take fire roads let alone offroad it. I guess rolling over stray stones on blue highways at 70ish. I do remember one I didn't swerve in time for, almost the size of a fist. I actually heard it hit.

• 2 months later...
If I had it to do over again never mind the fenda extenda I'd have put on a bash plate. The lower front of my R1200ST's engine case has the crap battered out of it, including one wide dent and more than half the coating hammered off. Not sure why, I mostly avoid gravel and don't even take fire roads let alone offroad it. I guess rolling over stray stones on blue highways at 70ish. I do remember one I didn't swerve in time for, almost the size of a fist. I actually heard it hit.

I put a GS skidplate on my RT when it was nearly new. Amazing how many "pings" I hear from rocks coming off the front tire hitting it...