IGNORED

instrument cluster scratch repair

SK_in_AB

i set my helmet on my tank bag and it fell fwd on to the cluster lens leaving a 1/2" scratch. Wondering if a plexi type polish will take this out or just make it worse Are replacement lenses available?

Any advise on how to fix this screw up is welcome

i set my helmet on my tank bag and it fell fwd on to the cluster lens leaving a 1/2" scratch. Wondering if a plexi type polish will take this out or just make it worse Are replacement lenses available?

Any advise on how to fix this screw up is welcome

Afternoon Stephen

No way to really know unless/until you try it.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then you probably won't be able to remove it & might just make that area distorted looking.

I think a new cluster lens is about $200.00

I have had some luck with Novus products. Google Novus scratch remover. If memory serves me right it comes in about 3 strengths. It's important you know what your lense is made from. I don't know..perhaps DR does. I've used it on acrylic airplane windshields. It won't take it out immediately, but will over repeated use. It must be clean. As DR said if you can actually feel it, it's likely not fixable....but there are some products that involve sanding and other methods for more severe damage but I've never tried them. Good luck Novus is about $5 a bottle. Might be worth a try versus $200 and labor.

Deep scratches usually require lots of effort and polishing to eliminate. Suggest you consider covering all but the immediate damaged area before beginning work. This will protect the clear areas from "work effects".

Can remove protection as work comes to an end, and polish the entire lens to assure a nice looking repair.

With effort, the lens can be removed from the instrument, but this is just asking for trouble during repair.

Good luck