IGNORED

Introduction-New to the Forum

Son of St Michael

Son of St Michael

Hello everyone, my name is Martin and I am new to this forum. I have been a member of the K1600 forum for a few years and have been riding for 45 years or so. I am on my fourth BMW, 2018 K1600GTL. I enjoy riding with just about anyone and belong to the Sons of St. Michael which is a law enforcement motorcycle club. Well that's enough about me...crap, forgot to mention the most important thing. I have been married 33 years. Yes, to the same woman. She is killing me. But what can I say.

Cheers all!

SOSM

Welcome to the board! Where in SoCal are you? There are quite a few of us here from SoCal, mostly the LA basin (including at least one other LEO I know of), but a few in San Diego.

Man that K 1600 motor is as smooth as buttah! :grin::thumbsup: Miss mine a bit but the RT that replaced it gives up little. The dreaded front suspension squeak did mine in after an unsuccessful dealer fix. Did they ever determine the cause of the squeak on the bikes that had the issue?

Welcome, great place to hangout! :thumbsup:

Pat

Welcome.

Nice ride. As a LEO are you riding, or did you?

Pat,

Properly ridden, the K1600 has no front end squeak.

Or front tire wear...

;)

Hello everyone, my name is Martin and I am new....

.....crap, forgot to mention the most important thing. I have been married 33 years. Yes, to the same woman. .....

Welcome & Congrats Martin :wave:

27 years TODAY for me :thumbsup:

Pat,

Properly ridden, the K1600 has no front end squeak.

Or front tire wear...

;)

True, only if you put the computer in sleep mode first. ;)

I did that on the wet-head RT once, only once! She wheelied like a YZ 450! :eek:

Pat

Son of St Michael

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Hopefully everyone is enjoying some great left overs and great families and friends!

I am currently in the north county (Vista) but moving soon. I was born and raised down here in So Cal but raised my kids up near Lake Tahoe. We returned home two years ago to help a relative who was in medical distress. He has since passed. My oldest son is still lives up north and had our first grandchild. Soooo....we plan on getting back out of California to live in N. Nevada as soon as we can.

As a LEO I never did ride a motor. Although I did buy the first R1200RT's when they became available for my motor unit. I was told I purchased the first ones for the whole nation. My officers told me they would let me ride one if I bought them. I bought them and they properly reneged on the offer saying a captain has no business on a police bike. Overall my career was spent in the investigative and tactical arena(s). Of course I started at the line level and retired as a captain. I did spend some time as our interim chief but declined the full time position when offered in that I preferred to retire rather than work. I actually still work for them doing some confidential work and policies and procedures. LOL.

I have not heard anything about the front end squeek with the new K bikes. Still have a few with a left hand pull. One owner sued BMW to buy the bike back because of that and won. I had a 15 K1600 and now the 18. I like the throttle response on the 15 better than the 18 (they changed the mapping) but shift assist and reverse are pretty cool. The 18 does pull a bit left. Still like it thou.

You all have a great holiday weekend!

GO IRISH!

M

It could have been a small batch of them and maybe they figured it out fairly quickly but after a complete teardown :cry: of my bike the

returned within twenty-five miles. Now to be honest, it wasn't quite as bad as the one in the vid but was enough to be annoying.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...
It could have been a small batch of them and maybe they figured it out fairly quickly but after a complete teardown :cry: of my bike the
returned within twenty-five miles. Now to be honest, it wasn't quite as bad as the one in the vid but was enough to be annoying.

Pat

I've had 2 K1600s with the first one bought in 2012. Luckily neither one has had the front end squeak. You don't hear much about that on the K1600 forum anymore. My brother's 2012 K1600 GT had it but he found a spray lube that kept it quiet for 10,000 miles before needing a fresh squirt. Others have tried this lube with good success also. My brother has since installed a Wilbur shock so no squeak.