IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

Way back when, that bike planted the seed that I would someday ride a BMW. Took me more than a few years to get there.

That looks like a very nice offering. Hmmm...

Looking for all offers

2017 R1200RT with about 2,600 miles. I am getting too old to ride. Motorcycle is on consignment at BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville Florida. Topbox. Contact dealership (904-375-2921), not me. They know I will accept even low offers.

Sounds like someone may get a deal on this one? :dontknow:

Looking for all offers

2017 R1200RT with about 2,600 miles. I am getting too old to ride. Motorcycle is on consignment at BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville Florida. Topbox. Contact dealership (904-375-2921), not me. They know I will accept even low offers.

Sounds like someone may get a deal on this one? :dontknow:

Yo Matt, check it out! :revit::thumbsup:

Pat

I'll bet he needs a WERKS clutch basket in that!

Terry, curious minds want to know. How did you come up with the idea of making a better clutch basket for that bike? Just seems (new term my 9 y/o now uses :grin: ) so random.

Pat

Pat, I bought a 2003 DL 1000 in 2009. These have more or less the same clutch basket and the same problems with wear. These develop "chudder", which is a very strong vibration in the 2500-4000 rpm range. Can literally shake the body panels. Known about since they came out in 2002. Suzuki knew about it, but failed ( to this day ) to totally fix the problem.

I learned about a guy that put washers in as shims for the springs. Sounds good, done that to my bike and welded bridges over the openings so washers could not come out. Voila! Chudder pretty much gone on a basket that had it bad.

But there is more to the wear that the shims won't fix. The shims were a crude fix, I got away from those pretty quickly. Learned how to take the riveted basket apart. Bought a new one to see what was different and from there figured out the problems. One big one is the main bearing gets egg shaped. So I learned how to machine the parts and do the work to fix that. Experimented with ways to lock the inner plate to the basket so it can never move again ( main source of chudder ). Then designed a second bearing that the factory never had. Been improvements in the way I do the work, but has come to the point where there is little I can do to make them better. Best part is a modified basket is about the price of a new OEM unit. Modified basket is smoother than a new one and will outlast the bike!

Holy wastegates, Batman! *LINK*

00O0O_6PdRr61emEB_600x450.jpg

From the ad text: I'm currently building a BMW R100RT that I intend to break the 171mph record (APS-PF 1000cc).

R 69S Ran when parked.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/r-69s-ran-when-parked-listing-15433.aspx

Price$12,000.00 (Or Best Offer)

DESCRIPTION

1966 R69S barn find. Parked in garage for 40 years under cover. Complete bike but need work to return to service. Engine turns and bike rolls when pushed. Numbers matching with some after market parts which are period to the bike. Gas tank solid. Excellent candidate for restoration.

R 69S Ran when parked.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/r-69s-ran-when-parked-listing-15433.aspx

DESCRIPTION

1966 R69S barn find. Parked in garage for 40 years under cover. Complete bike but need work to return to service. Engine turns and bike rolls when pushed. Numbers matching with some after market parts which are period to the bike. Gas tank solid. Excellent candidate for restoration.

What else could the bike possible need, other than fresh air in the tires and fresh gas in the tank?!?

I know these are coveted bikes. I just found highlighting the lowest possible bar for a bike as its seal of approval and general bill of health to be funny.

Oh no, the lowest possible bar is: falls over when tipped. That way you know the bike is still at least partially assembled and that, well, is still under the influence of gravity.

R 69S Ran when parked.

DESCRIPTION

Sweet! This is the model my father had when I was 5 or 6 years old and I am sure it was the one that planted the seed to want to ride. He had the steib sidecar as well, but I preferred when he sat me on the tank in front of him while riding it as a two wheeler (laws were way different in those day). Sadly mom made him sell it after a low speed front end wash out of a freshly pea graveled road...but he couldn't stay away and in 1969 he showed up at the house with a candy apple red Norton 750 Comando fast back. By then I was 12 and my fate to be a motocycle enthusiast was sealed for life. That was a hell of a motorcycle and yes it would eat the new Honda CB750 for lunch in the 1/4 mile!. Handled better too. Sure wish I could have bought that Norton from him when he sold it to returned to the BMW fold but didn't have the cash at that age.

I sold one last yr for 7500$. His asking price would fly if it was a total restored bike. Mine was in great shape with the den field seats. 5k would be a more realistic number.

I put several thousand miles on one - when it was nearly 20 years old - before hooking it up to a sidecar. It's cerainly not a sports bike, but it was great on the interstate and still a good bit of fun on the good roads. It was also actually great it town - the seat is lower than RT/GS bikes so it's easier to flat foot etc and has great luggage space for errands. Not my favorite bike by any means but I wouldn't call it a turd.

I rode a couple, not sure why it was called a light truck. More like a heavy turd.

If you think it is a heavy turd, it can be polished. :clap:

154601185975.jpg

Edited by Bud
I rode a couple, not sure why it was called a light truck. More like a heavy turd.

I've chased and been chased by a couple of these. They are no slouch in the right hands.

I've chased and been chased by a couple of these. They are no slouch in the right hands.

+1

I was going to say the same thing.

When I was back in my Harley mode in the late 90s, a friend of mine had one of these and just ate my lunch on some rides to the NC mountains -- fast and pretty maneuverable in all but the tight stuff. The power, smoothness of the K engine and suspension are what convinced me to move to an RT, and I have never looked back. I even test rode one once, but thought it was a bit heavy. Still, it has a special place in my heart for showing me the light.

+1

I was going to say the same thing.

People that knock those haven't spent any time on one. I had a few and loved them (for what they're designed to do). Once moving they belie their heft, the handling almost defies physics keeping in mind the size and appearance. And at least in it's day few bikes could gobble miles the way they do. I rode one from Trenton, Ont. to Jax, Fl. almost non stop, took a two hour sleep in Ga. (on the bike, try that on a GS) and probably wouldn't have had to if I hadn't eaten too much at a Waffle House : )

5 Beemers, $10K

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/bmw-gss-rt-cl-c-5-bike-deal-listing-15545.aspx

Year - Model - Mileage

2000 R1200 C 12,126

2002 R1150 GS 102,828

2004 R1150 GS 54,132

2004 R1200 CL 36,820

2004 R1150 RT 22,150

Man - if that were on this side of the country I'd be just about to get in trouble for kicking Laura's car out of the garage to make space for seven motorbikes instead of just two...

5 Beemers, $10K

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/bmw-gss-rt-cl-c-5-bike-deal-listing-15545.aspx

Year - Model - Mileage

2000 R1200 C 12,126

2002 R1150 GS 102,828

2004 R1150 GS 54,132

2004 R1200 CL 36,820

2004 R1150 RT 22,150

Man - if that were on this side of the country I'd be just about to get in trouble for kicking Laura's car out of the garage to make space for seven motorbikes instead of just two...

Not far from me I could pick you up at the Philly airport and take you to U Haul

5 Beemers, $10K

Year - Model - Mileage

2000 R1200 C 12,126

2002 R1150 GS 102,828

2004 R1150 GS 54,132

2004 R1200 CL 36,820

2004 R1150 RT 22,150

Not far from me I could pick you up at the Philly airport and take you to U Haul

I wouldn't want you to have to deal with all the airport traffic on my account. But, you know, since you're willing to go uHaul anyway, if you want to pickup a truck while you're there and just haul the bikes out here with it that would be great. I'll have dinner waiting when you get here.

Well if you wanted someone to deliver them to you, I will be happy to oblige. I think 10 K to buy and 10 K delivery is about right. You know my address. Send me a bank cashiers check and I'm on it. :clap:

Hey, if you have time to go get them I'll buy the other four. Hey a don't you have a retired spouse? I bet she'd like to go get them...

Seems like this fleet should dock in the BMWST mc trailer.

Mike B can run the BMWST food truck and tow the mc trailer to events.

Or, buy the lot and enter a hill climb rent a ride.

From the AD copy:

1978 BMW R80 with misc parts. It's missing a gas tank which you can find with a quick search on the internet, just don't have the time to put into it. My loss your gain!

Ya - 'quick search' .... But I don't have time....

The only thing missing from the ad copy is, ' ran like a sewing machine when I shut her down and removed the tank to polish it.'