IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) Sparta, NC April 24-28

Indy Dave

Lone_RT_rider said:
In for two - Wed -Sun. All plans tentative at this point.

You DO need replenished on your Bourbon, if memory serves. Between that and the great bunch of riders and roads, I'm confident that 'tentative' is WI speak for not sure what time we'll be arriving. :clap::Yes::beer:

Moove over Punxsutawney Phil, Toddfjr is already confirmed and that is no doubt a sign of a EARLY SPRING! :bike:

Well, it's beginning to look a lot like .... uhh..... a GREAT START!

1499587318_attendingJan23.thumb.jpg.da2a25bd096c9c959d4076e4d4237914.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave

My schedule just freed up and I want to come to START . I'll arrive Wed. leave Sunday.

Sparta a few years ago was my first event with you guys -- loved it - look forward to doing it again.

Barry Moss

I've not booked a room yet -- anybody need or want a roomie to share their room ????

Great to have you back after a short hiatus. :Yes: I was beginning to wonder which one of us had run you off!

Here you are in Sparta, I guess someone sent you to the K Bike Corner.

20160923_075250.jpg

Defiantly some shady company you're keeping here.

20160922_181336.jpg

Then on to Maggie and you arrived with Peter (twistyguy) in tow!

IMG951698.jpg

And yet again more questionable company.

IMG_0124.jpg

But in-between the two 'Arts, you did the UN on your GS

Now this is a upstanding group of riders you're with

IMG_0283.jpg

And again, another terrific group you've associated yourself with - you're cleaning up your act!! :rofl:

IMG_0296.jpg

Barry - you're on a roll and at this point, I think you were probably going to be nominated for Person of The Year or something.

IMG_0275.jpg

Then . . . sadly, a step backwards! At least you're keeping them an arms length away. :spittake:

IMG_0277.jpg

So glad you're going to join us again, and I don't envy your decision on which bike to bring - your new K 1300GT :bike: or your R 1200GSA. :revit:

Edited by Indy Dave

Now this is a upstanding group of riders you're with

IMG_0283.jpg

Indy Dave

A man never stoops so low when he stands to make a pun. :wave:

Bud, I'm so glad you're going to join us again after a hiatus almost as long as Barry's. Thinking about it now, although we've not seen you since Blairsville, I think you've rotated through more bikes than Barry (or Bob [including his ghost bike]) during your absence.

It'll be great to see you both again!

Bud, I'm so glad you're going to join us again after a hiatus almost as long as Barry's. Thinking about it now, although we've not seen you since Blairsville, I think you've rotated through more bikes than Barry (or Bob [including his ghost bike]) during your absence.

It'll be great to see you both again!

Not really. I still have the R 1150 R that died in Blairsville. A BMW Scooter came and went. And a GS/Hannigan sidecar rig is showing up in my driveway this afternoon.

.154386291071.jpg

Other than that, nothing has been happening.

Summer ride plans still up in the air. PNW is on the radar. Have to rearrange timing in case the UN continues to call me.

All assuming there are no further health problems next year.

Great to have you back after a short hiatus. :Yes: I was beginning to wonder which one of us had run you off!

20160923_075250.jpg

So glad you're going to join us again, and I don't envy your decision on which bike to bring - your new K 1300GT :bike: or your R 1200GSA. :revit:

It will be good to see you again Barry! :thumbsup:

The blue/white K200RS in the picture belonged to Mark Orlove who sadly passed away a year ago. I bought that K bike from his widow about 6 months ago when my K200RS had a second ABS unit failure.

As you may have heard, I now have a GSA - and yes it is a hard decision on which bike to ride. :dontknow:

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks Bob, it's been too long since we have had a chance to ride together.

Bud, I've taken the Harley trike and sidecar training. It was an absolute blast. I'm sure that rig is going to bring you tons of smiles.

Bud - Nice looking rig! Look forward to seeing you at START. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bob, it's been too long since we have had a chance to ride together.

Bud - I am hoping for a ride in the side car - I have never been in one.

No problem Bob. Happy to take you. :wave:

I'm glad you both worked out an equatable solution. What with Bob and his GSA, I think the only other way for you guys to ride together nowadays would require Bud to take his rig off roadin' trying to follow Bob.

And Bud, maybe we'll have another quilter convention at our hotel this year (like we did in Blowing Rock), and you can give rides in the sidecar for in exchange for a scarf or sweater!

Edited by Indy Dave

Well the GS has an auto tire on the back so I don't think I'm going to take the car off and travel cross country. :clap:

Have a large learning curve ahead of me before I will be proficient on this rig.

I won't be keeping up with anyone at START.

Pretty grainy, but I think I recognized Aunt Dot in there. The new version looks like a lot of fun, other than if you are hanging off the sidecar and get run over!

20160923_075250.jpg

It will be good to see you again Barry! :thumbsup:

The blue/white K200RS in the picture belonged to Mark Orlove who sadly passed away a year ago. I bought that K bike from his widow about 6 months ago when my K200RS had a second ABS unit failure.

As you may have heard, I now have a GSA - and yes it is a hard decision on which bike to ride. :dontknow:

That K bike was sweet, Bob!! As was Barry's. I thought I had better pictures of Barry's, but I'm not finding them.

Here's your former dancing partner getting ready for another flogging Waltz !

bob%20gasing%20up.jpg

I'm currently working on routes for START...be sure to bring your Big-Boy pants...these routes are no joke :bike:

I have a line on some Bob's Big Boy Pants in case anyone's in need . . . Now we know Bob does more than just Pizza Nights!

Big-Boy-Graveyards-2.jpg

Thanks...I do try to keep everyone on hard surfaces now.

You must be softening up in your old age..... thankfully. ;)

Thought about you yesterday as I was wondering if a particular road needed scouting :rofl:

I'm currently working on routes for START...be sure to bring your Big-Boy pants...these routes are no joke :bike:

WOW! Word travels fast!! Yesterday off in the distance, I saw this dark mass coming towards me. WTF is that I pondered. As it grew closer, it became clear - The Word is out and I caught this fella already celebrating and he's apparently planning on trading in his 4 wheels for two. He's already practicing on two wheels. :bike::revit::bike::rofl:

Your routes are always great.... Looking forward to them.

Agree 200%.

Always look forward to your routes Ken! However, I looked forward to, and will miss, having the surprise gravel sections. :grin:

Not sure if I can locate the Big Boy pants Dave has suggested I wear, however, I will be riding in my new one piece Aerostich. :thumbsup:

Always look forward to your routes Ken! However, I looked forward to, and will miss, having the surprise gravel sections. :grin:

Not sure if I can locate the Big Boy pants Dave has suggested I wear, however, I will be riding in my new one piece Aerostich. :thumbsup:

I have to admit, you don't fit the Bob's Big Boy Mascot profile. For those outside the MI-OH-IN Paradise, Bob's Big Boy is a Restaurant Franchise in this area - so that was what my obscure Big Boy reference was about. Hey - at least it wasn't a RUSH reference! :whistle:

Bob's Big Boy

Edited by Indy Dave
I have to admit, you don't fit the Bob's Big Boy Mascot profile.
:rofl:

We had Bob's Big Boy restaurants in Cleveland, Ohio back in the early sixties that I can remember taking my wife, of 52 years, to when we were in high school. :)

History of the company here.

Although I grew up in New Jersey my mom was from Kansas and each summer we'd vacation there. It was in Wichita, KS that I was introduced to Bob's Big Boy (the original Big Mac) and also Wichita was where Pizza Hut was founded by 2 brothers who went to school with my cousin. That too was in the very early 60's.

Edited by RTinNC
I have to admit, you don't fit the Bob's Big Boy Mascot profile.
:rofl:

We had Bob's Big Boy restaurants in Cleveland, Ohio back in the early sixties that I can remember taking my wife, of 52 years, to when we were in high school. :)

History of the company here.

Although I grew up in New Jersey my mom was from Kansas and each summer we'd vacation there. It was in Wichita, KS that I was introduced to Bob's Big Boy (the original Big Mac) and also Wichita was where Pizza Hut was founded by 2 brothers who went to school with my cousin. That too was in the very early 60's.

Wow! Talk about a trip down amnesia lane! I remember a Bob's in Corvallis, Oregon back in the early 90's. I liked it well enough. It was much better than Arctic (Arsenic) Circle, that's for sure.

Back in the day there were 2 Tops "Big Boys Drive Inn's in two towns about 15 miles apart. Every weekend the gang I hung with would cruse our street race cars back and forth between them. Eat, hey we were kids, check out the other town's girls do a little racing and so forth.

Ah the cars. 55-57 Chevy's, 427 Fords, 421 Pontiac's, 409's and me in my built to the hilt Mopar , home built rods and more. :thumbsup:

How we all survived doing stupid street racing stuff amazes me.

Sure liked the Big Boy burgers :clap: You had to order food or the cop would tell you to move along.

Folkdancer48

I actually grew up with "Frisch's Big Boy" in Xenia, Ohio in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It appears from the history given at the following link that "Bob's" and "Frisch's" originated from the same restaurant concept that originally began in California: Big Boy Restaurants. Evidently, nation-wide, there were at one time 34 different co-branded "Big Boy" franchises. In Xenia, same scene as you described, though. The kids at my high school hung out there in their cars (and on their motorcycles), especially on Friday and Saturday nights. The 55-57 Chevy Bel Air with the 327 c.i. motor (from the 62-63 Corvette) featuring a continental kit was the most treasured "ride", and only the coolest guys had them. Among bikes, various Harley models ruled (including some customized ones that were a precursor to the "choppers" of the '70s.

Don and "The Other Bud", glad you can join us!!

I'm enjoying the Big Boy Stories! We didn't have one in the town I grew up in, but the restaurants were conspicuous and identifiable by the large mascot. Probably marketing wizardry back then, not dissimilar to the famous Clown and hamburgler.

I'm also enjoying hearing about the cars and culture of some of you who must have been .... mentors.... of a sort to us younger folk who may not have been born yet.

Fast forward to the early 80's and McDonald's was the cruise in destination point in my high school years. They allowed us to park in their aux lot as long as things didn't get out of hand. On a Friday or Saturday night, if you were looking for someone from school, it was a pretty safe bet they would come by McDonald's or someone already there had seen them and knew where they were. It came to pass that I had a '68 Firebird that I bought with a cracked block. After two junk yard engines turned out to be unsatisfactory, I bought a short block bored 40 over. Ram Air 3 heads, Competion cam with 427 lift (I believe), holley 780 4bbl, edelbrock HiRise, accel duel-point distributor, headers and a Muncie 4 speed. It was a lot of fun.

There was another kid at school who had a GTO, with solid lifters and a radical cam. He was always telling me how he could blow me away with ease - that he had a real racing motor, yada yada yada. We weren't enemies, but we weren't friends and everyone at school knew there was unsettled business. But our paths never seemed to cross.

Until one night at a stoplight a half a block away from McDonalds we both happened to be stopped next to each other. It was on! As soon as the light turned green, we were off - engines roaring and tires smoking! Everyone at McDonalds could hear us coming (the parking lot was blocked from view by the building) and they all saw clear as day as we went by - Mr. Race Engine got dusted. There was no way he could claim otherwise with so many watching us fly by. He later claim the the barometric conditions that night were why he lost.

Anyway, that's how is was back in 1982.

Edited by Indy Dave

Yup, us old farts grew up in American Graffiti era. Fastest car at school was a big deal. Then there were the biker guys who were real crazy.

Bike vers car was a big race :thumbsup:. We had designated roads way out of town for this kind of fun with start and finish lines painted on the blacktop.

• Like 1
  • Kinsley featured and unfeatured this topic

We have a lot of nifty and new features with the new board software. Please look around and check it out. We have previous years FART and START galleries that we will continue to enhance and add to. YOU can upload YOUR BEST photos from those to the event photo galleries as well - and we invite you to do so. 

Also - another feature we now have is for folks attending to signify so by clicking on the GOING button. While I'm not sure this will replace entirely the attending slides Kinsley and I do, it may prove to be a helpful feature. To help us evaluate how we might incorporate this feature - if you're going to Sparta - would you please click the going button? One reason this won't entirely replace the attending slides Kinsley and I do is that there isn't a way to indicate what day one is arriving, etc.

709429891_Screenshot_2019-01-20START2019-SpartaNC.thumb.png.dee998f8bfab65f098ab23f02da252b2.png

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1