IGNORED

Mondays S---

Dennis Andress

Great combo of trailer and truck. Wonder which is worth more. Trailer...

You mentioned the West side of Back Bear, well, for a greenie, I thought the 'steps' were beyond my skill set. Might of gone off the edge... :ohboy:

I don't know Larry it would probably be close.

If you've done Corkscrew and California you could do Black Bear, the only difference is yer going down instead of up : )

AdventurePoser
On 1/14/2019 at 9:00 PM, roadscholar said:

It's still Monday, a few more from Colorado this past Sept.

009-X2.jpg

010-X2.jpg

The Arkansas River not far from it's headwaters near Leadville.

016-X2.jpg

020-X2.jpg

Mosquito Pass in the distance

028-X2.jpg

Herring Park

021-X2.jpg

Whale Hill

048-X2.jpg

074-X2.jpg

076-X2.jpg

Gorgeous scenery.  Some of these roads are amazing on the GSA!

• Like 1

Thanks Steve good to see you back. They really are, there's some great scenery and have ridden all that stuff in the past. The last three pics are a bit tricky to get to on a GS though, or even a dualsport at least from the east side. I'll let them chime in if they want but I think @Whip and @lawnchairboy would concur : )

• Like 1

Roadscholar:

I agree completely, from the east it would be a Beeyotch to get a big GS up there.  I had to pick up my DR near the top, it took me 10 minutes to get my breath back and make it to the top.  It is pretty steep and rocky and loose.  Whip was down at least 4 times that I know about on his KTM 500 on the way up, once he put the front end halfway up a tree.  But we were following Dave so who knows.

• Like 1

Taken on Skyline Road lookout . That Eildon Reservoir in the back ground  . The Eildon- Jamieson Road , is nice little stretch of tarmac that is about 65kms of tight corners,  between 25 and 40km/h advisory speed . The RT handles this beautifully. 

This is central Victoria  , Australia  . 

IMG_20180921_213928.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/14/2019 at 10:38 PM, roadscholar said:

If you've done Corkscrew and California you could do Black Bear, the only difference is yer going down instead of up : )

I did Corkscrew in my Tundra, don't think I would be trying Black Bear with it! I also did Corkscrew (down) on my CRF450X, with no front brake!

On 1/15/2019 at 12:38 AM, roadscholar said:

On 2/3/2019 at 6:04 PM, Bob Palin said:

I did Corkscrew in my Tundra, don't think I would be trying Black Bear with it! I also did Corkscrew (down) on my CRF450X, with no front brake!

It isn't so much Corkscrew or California but unmentioned Hurricane Pass you have to deal with  between them, it's gotten really rocky the last few years and is no cakewalk especially west > east which is how most ride it. And comparing the abilities of a stock Japanese pickup and a KTM 640 is ridiculous. Some Monday photos : )

From near Corkscrew looking toward Hurricane.

060.jpg

looking back at Corkscrew

065.jpg

079.jpg

Lake Como between Hurricane and California Pass.

084.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
Dennis Andress

Four years ago, Laney and I bought a short-sale in Port Orchard, Wa. The location is incredible!

i-2CBvsQb-X3.jpg

Alas, growth, traffic, crummy roads, and continuous yard work is driving us away. Please follow along for the next few months as we downsize, pack and say goodbye to the Deck With a View

feb-2019-X3.jpg

We will do some riding too!

pair-X3.jpg

• Like 5

You will miss those views!   Hope the move goes smoothly and that you and Laney will indeed have more time for riding.   Hope to see you both at a BMWST event sometime soon!:18:

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Besides the view there are five marinas and a Navy Shipyard providing entertainment.

A sail boat cutting off a ferry

chicken-X2.png

sub3-X3.jpg

ADSC_3146-X3.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Dennis Andress

I got a new left knee in May! It's certainly stronger than the old one. Working on getting the new knee to bend enough to ride... maybe this week. Packing and moving will probably overwhelm riding time. :(

I-5 from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle just plain sucks. Swing west to Astoria, Oregon and wander north on US-101

megler-bridge-X3.jpg

As long as you get there early enough to beat traffic the eastern part of US-101, where it runs along the Hood Canal is a great ride. As with most of the Olympic Peninsula any state rest area or scenic overlook requires one $30 Discover Pass per vehicle. If you're headed to Seattle, or the Bremerton Ferry, WA-106 is considerably better than WA-3. Dewatto, which is barely visible in the image, is easily the prettiest place on Earth.

image.thumb.png.68023dde29cf0b185c49b3ba4d7c73c1.png

I find the Olympic Peninsula a frustrating place to ride. For the most part the roads are too overgrown to see anything except trees and average speed is about right for a 4-speed Harley. Make it a destination instead of a ride. Unload the bike and spend a week.

Lake Crescent.

chairs-X3.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dennis Andress

Last week there were two cool and breezy Autumn evenings. This weekend Winter arrived with heavy cold rain which will continue through tomorrow. The days are still in the 60's but leaves are falling and they tend to stick to wet roads making riding no fun at all. My knee is doing well enough for me to get back to sorting, packing and moving.

Dawn

ADSC_4410-X4.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress
On 9/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, ArmyGuy said:

Moving back to Maryland....definitely going to miss some of the beauty of southern AZ.

Dover AFB was my first duty station. I remember lots of nice riding in Pennsylvania and the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't far. Enjoy!

We have our hearts set on moving to Southern Oregon; prices and availability are working against us though. Arizona is also a possibility but we'd both miss the green of living in a rain forest.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Dennis Andress

Health problems behind us we are back to sorting, discarding, packing, and moving. We've changed our destination from Southern Oregon to the St. George, Utah area. This is going to happen fast, before something else gets in our way!

hurricane-1-X3.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

Five years ago this looked like a freshly cut stump. Four years ago a little sprout popped out. Last year that sprout was about 4' high. Look at it now!

i-xfJTFnm-X3.jpg

Dennis Andress

If you ever have the want to visit the Olympic Peninsula do it in winter, or early Spring; October and sometimes November being the best. It will be wet, but the trees will be bare and you'll see a lot more.

2-top-X2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Well I missed Monday but here's a couple more from Colorado. Larry and I took a ride over Marshall Pass a few years ago (west to east).

117.JPG

116.JPG

• Like 2
5 hours ago, LBump said:

I want to ride ...

in Colorado.  :thumbsup:

Me too, Larry! :thumbsup: Marshall Pass is such a nice relaxing ride! :clap:

image.jpeg

So just before the madness ensued... I had just finished putting my K1600Gt back together after tearing it apart to replace a pesky ignition coil that started misfiring during my Mex to Baja trip last October. Needing more than a "around-the-block" test ride, the wife and I ended up in Death Valley for some fresh air, away from people. Now, before the social distancing police have a chance to harp...  This was just over 2 weeks ago, literally 3 days before the state mandate to stay at home.  It was a completely spur of the moment decision and it all  started with a conversation about needing/wanting to spend a few hours riding on the bike for a test. Well, one thing led to another and ,we decided that a quick trip to Joshua tree would be fun. By the time we left that afternoon, the plan evolved into Joshua tree, spend the night then on to Death Valley for the next several days, we'd figure out lodging when we got there.   

The good news was that there was very little traffic and lodging was not a problem, We even got a walk in booking at the DV inn ( usually booked months in advance).  The rides through Joshua Tree,  the Mojave national preserve and Death Valley were spectacular. Sadly, After 2 days in DV we had no choice but to return since both the INN and the Ranch were shutting down due to the circumstances. That notwithstanding, we had a great last hoorah before we hunkered down.

IMG_2059.thumb.jpg.c034254a3aa33e70ecca0abe87f625d4.jpgIMG_2067.thumb.jpg.d3ee1e86acea08e1990fa5fef3fca8f3.jpgIMG_2069.thumb.jpg.0754c49154a442bcf357147902b051aa.jpg  

• Like 6
Dennis Andress

We have a buyer! Leaving for Utah by the end of the month. Yes, it's a crazy time to travel but traffic will be light!

310361555_ferryandsub.thumb.jpeg.c7e5b1f61e4c0bd1db13be000d82d5d6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...