IGNORED

Routes Posted!

steveknapp

steveknapp

FYI, the Routes are online at http://www.unrally.com/

The Unrally routes are available in three formats, first as a Garmin GDB Mapsource file which will provide a template for route creation on your GPS software -- you will need to duplicate and recalculate the routes in order to ensure compatibility with the combination of your specific GPS and map software.

http://www.unrally.com/routes/gunnison.gdb

A zip archive of Microsoft Streets & Trips EST files provides maps and turn-by-turn directions in that format.

http://www.unrally.com/routes/gunnison.zip

And a "paper" version of all this is available as a PDF, and includes 15 pages of maps and turn-by-turn directions.

http://www.unrally.com/routes/gunnison.pdf

Edited by steveknapp

Outstanding! Thank you SO MUCH for putting this together! I've ridden all the pavement routes before, and they are fabulous. North Rim of Black Canyon is brand new asphalt as of two years ago, just outstanding.

But now I wanna go play in the dirt with my "new" toy, check this happy guy!

60121789-M.jpg

I was laughing because I'm too damned short to reach the highway pegs unless I sit on the tank, which doesn't help much for comfort.

This is going to be FUN!

Doug

Outstanding! Thank you SO MUCH for putting this together! I've ridden all the pavement routes before, and they are fabulous. North Rim of Black Canyon is brand new asphalt as of two years ago, just outstanding.

But now I wanna go play in the dirt with my "new" toy, check this happy guy!

60121789-M.jpg

I was laughing because I'm too damned short to reach the highway pegs unless I sit on the tank, which doesn't help much for comfort.

This is going to be FUN!

Doug

Doug, I'm interested to look at that windshield of yours on that GS! thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

Nice routes, Steve. I've ridden all of them, and they're all fun.

Just one correction, though. On the 418 Mile Gateway Loop, you have the route on the map going counterclockwise, but the directions go clockwise. Either way is still good.

Doug, I'm interested to look at that windshield of yours on that GS! thumbsup.gif

When I bought the bike it came with the stock screen tongue.gif, an Aeroflow "barn door" unit (great in Winter, though) and this MRA screen. It's my favorite, and it's adjustable for highway or offroad. There's still a lot of buffeting, though, but much better than the stocker and I can stand on the pegs and it's not in the way.

MRA screens

It's called the "Vario-screen", available for about any scooter as far as I can tell from the catalog:

1150 GS screen

74079401-M.jpg

See ya soon!

Doug

DavidEBSmith

Don't need a map if you're taking the same route as Knappy, just follow the trail of gasoline being spewed from the Uly. tongue.gif

Don't need a map if you're taking the same route as Knappy, just follow the trail of gasoline being spewed from the Uly. tongue.gif

ROTFLMAO! grin.gif

Honestly, this past weekend, I never smelled gas, nor did I see it leaking, but he didn't let me get too close, either. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Let the fUN begin! grin.gifwave.gif

Remember that scene from the old, old movie "On Any Sunday" where the desert racer tries to start a signal fire in a "puckerbush" by dumping gas from his tank and accidentally torches his motorsickle? I just had the most wonderful flashback....

Edited by DouglasR

Steve...

You're the man! thumbsup.gif

I didn't have to do a thing but open your file, and dump it into the 2610.

All's well in GPS-ville.

Now, if I can only stay away from all of those H-D waypoints, I won't be tempted to check out that Road King!

grin.gifwink.gif

Thank You, Steve. wave.gif

Thanks for all the hard work. That's incredible. I'm leaving this Sunday, 11 June, so I'm all set now.

Thanks for all the hard work. That's incredible. I'm leaving this Sunday, 11 June, so I'm all set now.

That brand new RT is gonna be all broken in by the time you get home from this trip, Mark! Yeeehawwwww!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

See you in Farson, WY Saturday 17th, I can hardly wait!

Doug

Thanks Doug. Yeah, I feel a bit like a kid trying to get to sleep on Christmas eve. See you next Saturday in Farson. Really looking forward to it. My local riding friends are quite jealous of me at the moment.

Thanks Steve-- all of us appreciate the time and effort you and the others have put into the rally. thumbsup.gif

Most excellent! thumbsup.gif

A question, though. One place we want to see the the Black Canyon. I can't tell from the map (or any I've seen), is there a bridge across the canyon? Or is it one of those things where you go to the south side, then have to go all the way around to the north side? confused.gif

PhillyFlash

There is no bridge across the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The sightseeing road on the south side of the canyon off US 50 is very nice. There are several places to stop and look into the canyon.

Access to the north side of the canyon would be from CO 92 between Delta and Saperino. Most of the access points on the north side of the canyon are from unpaved roads, although you can get a few views (spectacular ones, at that) from CO 92 between Sapinero and Crawford. 92 was one of our favorite roads at Unrally 1. It's not very long, but it is very scenic, and can be very challenging. Things to be on the lookout for are gravel in the corners, deer, especially early and late in the day, but they can be seen anytime, and wild hoons, which will be prevalent throughout the latter half of June.

Thanks, Steve and Howard. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, we'll know to look out for those "wild hoons" around that time throughout that whole area! grin.gif

'See you guys there.