Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1096 - 06/05/02 03:41 PM General questions, issues, discussions  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Any questions or issues anyone has about the Gunnison rally, if you can't find a specific thread that's already discussing or handling them, please post them here.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#1097 - 06/06/02 05:54 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: EffBee]  
JKinners Offline
JKinners  Offline

San Diego, CA USA
Okay, I'll break the ice on this one. I've got a poser.

I was online to purchase my RT last December, but a work-related illness (cancer), being off from work since Christmas, undergoing chemo, and a pending legal battle with my employer have thrown an expensive torque wrench into the works (hey, on the bright side I get to see what BMW has planned for 2003, right?).

My wife and I really, really want to go to Gunnison before I'm released to go back to work at the Fire Department. I've been reading this board for well over a year and the wait is killing me! My last chemo is in two weeks (yeay!) so I'll feel well enough to make the trip.

My question is does anyone know of any option to rent an RT for the two weeks. We live in San Diego. My wife's R1200C is not comfortable enough to make that long a trip, and it lacks adequate storage.

If anyone has any brilliant solutions . . . . I throw myself on the mercy of the board.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie
San Diego, CA
The honor is to serve

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. --Bertrand Russell
#1098 - 06/06/02 07:45 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: JKinners]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Renting an RT for two weeks can be mighty expen$ive. I understand they go for between $125 and $150/day. If you find that to be the case, I would suggest you contact either the dealer in Denver or SLC, fly in, and rent for a few days from them.

And Jamie, congratulations on your successful battle with cancer. May it continue ever thus.

Godspeed, my brothers.

#1099 - 06/06/02 10:16 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: JKinners]  
Polo Offline
Polo  Offline

Austin, TX
First of all, congratulations! Keep going.

Secondly; although it isn't very BMW like, have you considered trailering the bike? I'm sure that we all will cut you some slack THIS ONE time, and won't say anything about your HD-like means of geting to the rally.

This may be the most cost effective way for you right now. And you may feel more comfortable riding a bike you already know.

I hope we'll see you there.

Polo
What do you say I lead, so I can keep up?...
2004 R1150RT Titan Gray - Gandalf.
Austin, TX "Pie-Town Crew" IBA# 15294
#1100 - 06/09/02 07:59 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: Polo]  
Doug 55 Offline
Inspector Gadget
Doug 55  Offline
Inspector Gadget

Bothell, WA, USA
First, please add my congrats on your recovery and bright outlook for the future ...

Polo has some wise words though, I made my first "big trip" RT touring last year (3500 or so miles in the west) and was both surprised and, in the positive sense, challenged by how physically demanding it can be fighting temperature extremes, head/side winds etc. (LOL, a "fond" memory is already being leaned into side winds on Wyoming highways then getting a good shake down from the turbulence of oncoming big rigs on top of that ! Tried to muscle through them at first then learned to relax a bit and let the bike ride through it all ... and then there was the thunderstorm in the BitterRoot Mountain range of Montana and .... )

Sooo, do what your gut sez is the "right thing", if that's finding an RT to rent then best luck on that; if it's trailering the "C" bike up for local rides then good for you and the first beer's on me ; if it's saddle up a SUV and drive out to meet The Crew and tell of plans for your future rides that's cool too !!!!

BMW FAN
Even if you're good, you've still got to be lucky
CLAS (Cary Littell Appreciation Society)

Current: '04 1150GS; '98 K12RS
$ins of the past: '99 R1100RT; '95 F650; '79 R100RT
#1101 - 06/10/02 06:00 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: Doug 55]  
JKinners Offline
JKinners  Offline

San Diego, CA USA
Thanks for the kind words and the great idea! I don't know why I did't think of that option! (well actually I do . . . I wanna ride!!! Waahh!)

-(ahem)-

Actually, I don't know exactly what my situation will be come mid July. I also don't know what the court's schedule will be and /or if I'll even have the time/ability to go. I think Polo's idea is a great fall-back plan. If it turns out that we can go at the last minute we "could" trailer my wife's R1200C. Of course we'd have to park it an hour or so out of town, judiciously apply some sweat and road grime, then ride in like we just arrived from SD! :-) It's a nice bike on short distance rides, really. It would be great if the collective could cut us some slack just this once for the HD-esque transgression, seeing as I've got cancer and all . . . . (Whew, that cancer card comes in handy again!)

If the court be willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll see you in Gunnison!

Thanks again!

Jamie
San Diego, CA
The honor is to serve

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. --Bertrand Russell
#1102 - 06/11/02 05:50 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: JKinners]  
Doug 55 Offline
Inspector Gadget
Doug 55  Offline
Inspector Gadget

Bothell, WA, USA
be there on whatever basis, by whatever vehicle or we will send out a party of hoons to kidnap you and bring you on over anyhow (and you know those hoon types can do the miles to pull it off !)

BMW FAN
Even if you're good, you've still got to be lucky
CLAS (Cary Littell Appreciation Society)

Current: '04 1150GS; '98 K12RS
$ins of the past: '99 R1100RT; '95 F650; '79 R100RT
#1103 - 06/12/02 06:47 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: EffBee]  
hANNAbONE Offline
hANNAbONE  Offline

Versailles, Indiana
fERNANDO : should we be takin' a head count for food soon ... BBQ / Pizza / etc. yet..? It seems to me that there was an earlier mention of this "sign-up" but I cannot find the thread just now.
Are we to post how many in our group / and how many reservations we'll need???
Just a heads up.

h A N N A b O N E
.F.O.G.Member & Friend of Signman & Paul Mihalka

2012 Black Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'
Versailles, Windy-Anna
#1104 - 06/12/02 08:17 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: hANNAbONE]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
It's in the works. Brant Herbert is putting it together and will post a sign-up form in the next day or two. He needs it because he's Photography Chairman and wants headshots to check off against the names, so he can post our gorgeous mugs for the non-attendees to see. Our Sign-in desk needs it. Our Breakfast Chairman needs it, since breakfast is being sponsored by a number of different companies which are owned by members of this board. As for dinner (pizza one night, BBQ the next), I'm still waiting to hear from the person in charge of food. But don't worry. We got enough of us worrying about stuff as it is.

You just get them purty vocal chords loosened up. Not only are you gonna sing the National Anthem, but we're gonna teach you a few drinking songs around the campfire for you to take back to AhUhWuh.

Godspeed, my brothers.

#1105 - 06/15/02 12:42 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: EffBee]  
Bill1100 Offline
Bill1100  Offline

Dallas, TX USA
In organizing the group rides, has there been any provision made for those of us (I hope I'm not the only one) who has never scraped a peg or cylinder head cover on his RT? I love to ride in a spirited fashion, but we've all seen the results of how this can turn sour in a group ride situation. I want to enjoy the scenery and the cool mountain air and not try to keep up with the Hoons - especially if my son is along on the trip on his Roadster.

2000 Amarena Red RT Dallas, TX
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee, Mike