BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1136 - 07/10/02 07:43 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: 90%angel]  
kytsadventure Offline
Newer Member
kytsadventure  Offline
Newer Member

scottsdale,AZ
Probably asked this on the wrong thread so here it goes again:Since the day is rapidly approaching to the rally I wondered how many ladies are planning to attend as passengers? And what is the bare minimum that one can get by with? I happen to like to wear my makeup and take my curling iron (although that doesn't seem to be a top priority for my honey). Are there any seasoned female passenegers out there that can offer me some help- or am I doomed to survival mode? We are staying in hotels(yeah!) but we are going to be gone 9 days!(hey I like to change my outfits and have matching shoes LOL but as you know there isn't that much space) I know I may be *prissier* than most- but that is me LOL- I am NOT a camper (maybe a resort LOL)

kathryn (poll peddler's sweetie)
#1137 - 07/10/02 08:42 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: kytsadventure]  
Spikes_Wife Offline
You Go Girl!
Spikes_Wife  Offline
You Go Girl!

Mount Airy, MD
Well, this was a good time for you to ask that question. I'm nearly finished packing for our honeymoon. We'll be on the road for 21 days including Gunnison. Instead of using the top case, we ordered a large Hellen2Wheel clothes sack. (waterproof) Here's what I've packed:

In the Hellen2Wheel clothes sack:
-10 t-shirts (5 for each of us)
-2 polo shirts (1 for each of us)
-2 undershirts for Spike
-14 pairs of socks (7 for each of us)
-10 pairs of underwear (5 for each of us)
-4 pairs of shorts (2 each)
-2 pairs of jeans (2 each)
-a small makeup bag for me
-shampoo, razors & other toiletries for both of us

Attached to the outside of the H2W sack:
-camera tripod in waterproof case
-H2W "wet bag" for bathing suits

Ride side case:
-Oil
-Spare cables
-Map
-magazines for Spike
-2 paperback books for me
-Bible
-first aid kit

Left side case:
-my camera bag
-36 rolls of film (don't ask... )
-my cross-stitch
-laundry detergent tablets & dryer sheets
-2 pairs of shoes (1 pair each)
-my fleece liner
-sweatshirt for Spike

I basically packed 5 days worth of clothing, and will be doing laundry along the way. The H2W bag is EXCELLENT quality, and she shipped it within 24 hours, so there is still time to order them. With all of the stuff in the H2W bag, I still have a little room left... that thing is amazing.

If you need anymore help or tips, lemme know and I'll do my best to help you before we leave on Friday.

--patti

#1138 - 07/11/02 04:38 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: 90%angel]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

Also, we were planning on bringing our Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets for the desert travel (with nothing but bike shorts and t-shirts underneath), and our Gerbings and regular jackets for the cooler mountain stuff. Thus the problem...with two sets of gear, one has to be stowed, and that takes up an incredible amount of room.

How many folks are actually bring separate hot/cold riding apparel?

TIA

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
#1139 - 07/11/02 06:40 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: John Ranalletta]  
russell_bynum Offline
bounce
russell_bynum  Offline
bounce

Wildomar, CA, USA
In reply to:

US! Last weekend, I went from 100+ in the day (Phoenix jacket over a T-shirt) to something much cooler through the 4500' pass on 152 into Gilroy. I needed my FirstGear jacket and Gerbing's liner (turned on a fairly low setting) to stay comfortable. Gunnison has 10,000ft passes and I'm betting it will get COLD...especially if we leave early in the AM or get stuck out late at night.

Russell
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
#1140 - 07/11/02 06:57 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: John Ranalletta]  
EffBee Offline
Administrator
EffBee  Offline
Administrator

SoCal, USA
John, my wife and I use a couple of Tour Master TB-17 Tail Bags. They come with hidden elastic cords and four bungee hooks on the bottom. We have Bungee Buddies on our saddlebags and hook them on that way (the BB's are mounted VERY inboard so that there's an inward pull on the TB-17 bags). Then we run another bungee cord across from one to the other(behind the passenger seat and under the rear rack) to pull them together and hold them on top of the saddlebags even more. They sit to either side of my wife's hips and they're narrow enough not to interfere with my rearward vision in the mirrors.

We're able to carry Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets in there. When we have to use the Joe Rocket jackets, our Tour Master jackets fit in their place inside the TB-17's (without the liners which by the time we need the Joe Rockets, the liners have long since been stuffed into the front pocket of the TB-17). You do have to be a bit of a creative packer, but once you pull the spinal armor on our TM jackets (takes about 5 seconds each) and stuff it along the perimeter of the TB-17's main compartment, the jackets collapse and fit inside without much trouble.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#1141 - 07/11/02 11:16 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

In reply to:

I bring layers. I won't need electrics on this ride. If it gets nippy I turn the seat and grips on.

I will have my Mesh Tech and my Kilamanjaro overclothes. Bungie net and bungie buddies come in handy for quick storage of overgear.

#1142 - 07/11/02 12:47 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Yeeha! Stephen Offline
Yeeha! Stephen  Offline

Bedford, Texas
I may regret it, but I'm only bringing one outer jacket. JR Pheonix, Gerbings, Sweatshirt and a Rain suit. My Gerbings gets really hot if you crank it up... so I hope I'm good. If not, then I go back down the Pass I guess.

Yeeha! Stephen
Deep in the Heaaaaarrrrt of Texaaaas
"Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie!" Miss Vicki 2002
#1143 - 07/11/02 02:53 PM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: John Ranalletta]  
Sean Offline
The Monk
Sean  Offline
The Monk

I only bring 1 riding suit (my BMW Kalahari) and then I layer. When it's hot, I'm wearing the suit only. As it cools, I first add the suit's inner Gore-Tex liners, if colder, I add my heated vest, if still colder, I add my Polartec fleece, and if it's colder than a witch's...um...well then I add my synthetic long underwear.

Using this setup, I have taken trips that have put me through temperatures ranging from 110 degrees, down to about 25 degrees. That's enough variation for me. Anything hotter or colder than that and I'll probably turn off the highway at the next motel or Denny's and call it quits until the temps improve, but I've never really had to do that yet.

As Russell said, be prepared for some surprisingly COLD condition going over some of the peaks in Colorado. This trip will be a real experience for those traveling from Southern California, where the weather is practically the same all the time. In order to get to Gunnison, you'll have to cross some very hot deserts, followed by ascending up some very cold mountains.

Finally, be prepared for everything in while staying in Gunnison. It's not unusual to wake up to nice, warm, sunny skies, then all of a sudden have a torrential, freezing cold downpour somtime during the day for an hour or so, and then the sun comes back again and everything dries up and returns to normal. Just be prepared, and pack efficiently.

Sean Daly
'XX TBD
#1144 - 07/17/02 12:55 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: EffBee]  
Kathy R Offline
PaperButt
Kathy R  Offline
PaperButt

Check IN at Gunnison?
Check IN when we get back home?

Since so many of us are going to be on the road at one time...is it unreasonable to ask that we post some kind of check in from Gunnison? Someone bringing a laptop?

150+ is alot of people to be concerned about ....I know if I were sitting at home I'd want to know everyone was ok.

Or......you could call me Mommy and I'll drop the thought

#1145 - 07/17/02 03:27 AM Re: General questions, issues, discussions [Re: Kathy R]  
John Ranalletta Offline
John Ranalletta  Offline

Maybe Brant could work his magic with a checkin web page; or an extension of the sign up page with a space for checkin. BTW, that's a really neat piece of work. Thanks, Brant.

I was in Switzerland recently and I didn't see one person with a knife!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee, Mike