BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#111270 - 07/09/06 09:54 AM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: duckbubbles]  
Limecreek Offline
Quick Lube
Limecreek  Offline
Quick Lube

Leander, TX
Quote:

By the way- is your bike doing anything like faults on the display with the ESA removed/disabled?

Nada--all is well.

#111271 - 07/09/06 01:21 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: Limecreek]  
duckbubbles Offline
duckbubbles  Offline

Austin, Texas, USA
One thing I didn't mention about the Ohlins set-up--the sag was in spec front and back, right out of the box and I only had to take out 4 clicks of rebound front and rear to dial in the suspension.

The Wilbers are set up at 33-34% of total travel sag. I like to run closer to 25% for a taughter ride. I'll give up a little comfort for better handling when pushing it. I am pulling the shock back off this morning, just wanted to check the board for any late breaking news.

Frank

2017 R1200RS,2 mo. 6,500 mi.
2016 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,322 mi. (gone)
1985 K100/1100RS, 32 yrs. 325,000 mi.
2005 R1200ST 8 yrs.(The Deerslayer)3rd deer killed it
2011 R1200RT 2 yrs. (gone)
#111272 - 09/04/06 03:30 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: duckbubbles]  
mrzoom Offline
mrzoom  Offline

Tulsa, OK
Nice step by step
For once I made a good decision about buying a bike.
I bought a 2005 last July before the ESA problems were surfacing and I had the chice of 2 bikes same color only diff was ESA. I went with the non-ESA as I knew I was going to install Ohlins anyway and no one at BMW could tell me if disconnecting the ESA would cause fault codes etc.
After seeing your install I believe that my front intall problem was due to a little longer top stud that made getting the shock into the top hole rather hard.
My results were similar. No sag adjustments were needed and the improvements in ride, handling were well worth the price.
Oh ya, about that rug??

MrZoom
2013 RT
The rest are history
If everything is under control your not going fast enough!!!
#111273 - 09/04/06 06:25 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: mrzoom]  
Fran Offline
Fran  Offline

Paxton, MA
Installed my Ohlins last weekend, the installation guideline presented here was of great help. Thank you! Still trying to figure out where to mount the pre-load adjuster. My bike is an 05 non ESA equipped so I had no concerns about the wiring. I found by leaving the rear wheel off I could jack the front high enough without the centerstand lifting, thus providing ample room to install the front shock. Totally transformed the bike, no longer does the front end dive under braking, or full throttle acceleration runs. Well worth the price of admission, and by far less expensive then a pair of Ohlins front forks for a Ducati.
Fran

#111274 - 09/04/06 11:37 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: Limecreek]  
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus
lawnchairboy  Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Traffic hell, VA
thanks for the great post.

06 R12RT (for sale) 11 R12GS (for sale) 11 KTM990 ADV

The focus is sharp in the city.
#111275 - 06/11/07 04:47 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: Limecreek]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Thanks to Limecreek for this great write-up and photos!

I've been meaning to add my two cents after doing this install a few weeks ago. After some frustration with the front shock just not fitting, I put everything back together and tried again the following weekend. The problem was I couldn't get the front wheel/wishbone low enough to fit the bottom mount in. I removed the rear wheel and carefully jacked under the engine to tilt the bike back on its center stand (with a block under the rear axle for safety). This allowed the front suspension to hang low enough to slip the new shock in easily.

I also found that it's not necessary to remove the alternator belt cover; the shock can easily be maneuvered in from the front, not up through the wishbone (which is what I originally inferred from the instructions, but the Ohlins spring is too fat for that).

For some reason, installing Ohlins on my oilhead RT was a breeze compared the the hexhead, at least in the front. But all the work was well worth the effort -- I got rid of the ESA-gimmick suspension and now have a better-than-new hexhead RT. What a difference!

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#111276 - 06/12/07 07:02 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: JohnH VA]  
r2d2 Offline
Newer Member
r2d2  Offline
Newer Member

paris, france
what sort of riding are rt riders doing where it is possible to appreciate the value of ohlins?

ohlins are excellent suspension components and make a huge difference to the dynamics of a motorcycle in terms of its roadholding and handling. however, this huge difference wouldnt be apparent during the sort of riding the rest of the rt motorcycle chassis and drive train deliver comfortably. surely the oem choice of suspension and tyres on a bmw should be good enough in terms of all the compromises necessary to satisfy a buyer looking at this type of motorcycle? if it was an r1 or gsx that would spend time at track days the expense and hassle would be worth it.

having returned from a transcontinental trip last week and ferrying various family members around the city this week i know i would never have adjusted either the preload or the damping to meet the different daily needs the rt had to face. would the ohlins have been better on a few of the hiway ramps with the bike fully loaded and a passenger on board? only if they had been correctly adjusted. the esa meanwhile was sweet as a nut to set up (which is exactly why it is there i guess).

most people dont take the trouble to check and adjust tyre pressures for differing loads - suspension? nah, doubt it.

esa seems like a good solution for an rt

#111277 - 06/12/07 07:53 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: r2d2]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Quote:

what sort of riding are rt riders doing where it is possible to appreciate the value of ohlins?

It doesn't take a racerboy to appreciate superior shocks -- and I'm no racerboy. Any roadway that is not a glass-smooth, well-maintained race track is improved by Ohlins -- and that's where they're appreciated most. The main benefit is much better damping under all conditions and loads. The huge size and width of the springs may also be a factor. There are familiar roads in my area with curves with broken or irregular pavement that I've been riding for years, and there is simply no comparing the stock shocks to Ohlins for control, stability and comfort -- whether blasting through or just meandering along. It was as true with my 2000 RT as it is with my 2006 RT. Change out to Ohlins and it's like night and day. To me, better shocks are even more important when really loaded down. The rear doesn't skip out over bumps or get mushy when leaned over for a typical curve. The front tracks true and steps over bumps and ripples instead of pogo-ing over them and making the whole bike frame shudder, and it doesn't dive so much loaded down.

To each his/her own, but it's hard to describe; you just have to try it to know.

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#111278 - 06/13/07 06:51 AM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: r2d2]  
Kbasa Offline
Kbasa  Offline

Marin County, CA
Quote:

I've got Ohlins on two of our bikes and the best way I can describe them is as having more "bandwidth". They have an ability to smooth small bumps, but also absorb and damp chassis movements over larger bumps.

The best way to describe it is that you feel as if you are moving in a straight line through space and the bike's suspension is reaching down to hold the road for you.

The benefits for this aren't limited to sport riding. This kind of smooth, controlled ride makes for far less fatigue when riding and more safety. It would be simple to doubt the safety claim, but remember, the purpose of an effectively tuned suspension is to keep the wheels on the ground. When they're on the ground, you can turn, brake and accelerate. Consider the downhill, chatter bumped decreasing radius corner. This is a point where excellently compliant and controlled suspension will keep the wheels on the ground and you off of it.

Good suspension, which I don't believe comes with the RT as stock, can completely transform a bike, no matter what manner you'd like to use it.

Good suspension, properly set up, requires little adjustment during normal use. The remote preload adjusters that come with Ohlins are for changing the sag of the suspension when carrying a passenger or a load. Rebound damping, once set, is rarely fiddled with again.

I bought a standard suspension on my RT, knowing that in 15K miles, I'd be getting rid of the stock shocks for something better. When I was told that a new rear shock was upwards of $1500 (ESA), I knew the right choice would be to upgrade later.

That's happening next week.

------------------- Dave Swider San Rafael, CA ------------------- Visit the MOA Forums at http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum
#111279 - 06/13/07 06:12 PM Re: Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2 [Re: JohnH VA]  
r2d2 Offline
Newer Member
r2d2  Offline
Newer Member

paris, france
Quote:

Quote:

To each his/her own, but it's hard to describe; you just have to try it to know.

agree

you guys enjoy, a well set up ohlins equipped bike is a lot of fun

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  EffBee