IGNORED

Headquarters and lodging announcement!

KMG_365

The UnRally-III HQ will be the Ponderosa Campground located at 1815 Yellowstone Hwy., right on the corner on the left where E.B. US 14/16/20 (aka Yellowstone Hwy) turns to the north and becomes 8th St. See the mapQuest page here.

They have two large tent yards set aside for us. They have the main level close to the amenities (showers, restrooms, laundry, etc.) and one down a paved road ~.1 mile down close to the riverside and amongst large trees. This is supposed to be a very beautifultent yard--where the organizers of previous HD rallies have opted to stay--but if you want something other than port-a-potties, you have to walk back up the hill to the main area of the campground. We have both of the two large tent yards set aside for our group as well as the 5 camping cabins (electricity, but no plumbing), and there are three TeePees down below by the river and six more up above. They also have tent sites with electricity if needed, as well as many RV spots (separated but close by) in both back-in and pull-through configurations.

Mention that you are with the BMW M/C group for the group rates and to be placed together with the rest of us. Group rates are:

tent yard spots $16.00 each

camping cabins $32.00 each (BYO Bedding)

teepees $19.00 each (basically just a more permanent tent)

tent sites with power $19.00 each

RV back-in spots $26.00 each

RV pull-through spots $28.00 each

The Ponderosa does not accept any sort of credit cards confused.gif so call to make your reservation, give the group name, your name and phone number and then mail them a check (or money order). Call Skip Richardson to make arrangements at the Ponderosa if you want to camp. Her number is (307) 587-9203 (FYI: does not accept calls from blocked numbers). Her mailing address is:

P.O. Box 1477

1815 Eighth St.

Cody, WY 82414

Tentative plans are to do catered meals at the Ponderosa, like in Gunnison, so we can eat, relax, visit, party, drink a few beers and not have to drive anywhere.

There are many, many hotels and motels in Cody, and many are right close by the Ponderosa. There are even a few right across the street, but Cody is not a very big town so theoretically most all might be considered within walking distance (<2 miles). It is a very popular area and as such, the prices for hotels/motels are rediculously expensive. We tried to arrange group rates at the hotels, but due to the demand, especially at that time of year, they did not feel the need to budge much on group rates. You might mention the group to see if we have talked to them, or you might be able to do just as well with any other discounts you might have access to on your own: AAA, AARP, etc.

The three closest Hotels to the Ponderosa are the Carriage House (non-smoking motel cabins, very nice), The Super 8, and the Best Western. A more complete list of lodging options can be seen here. Choose "Cody Country" from the "location" pull-down menu. Spots will fill up fast as folks are making their summer plans already, so call early to assure yourself a spot.

We'll be posting instructions for your pre-paid registrations soon. See you in July! smile.gif

It is a very popular area and as such, the prices for hotels/motels are rediculously expensive.

Holy crap! You're not kidding.

Just booked in the Super8 with my VIP discount card at the low, low $120/night rate. Man.

Greg

Where's your Alpen Dorf NAAAOOOWWW? laugh.gif

FWIW, Orbitz was showing the Best Western at ~$103. AAA/AARP/"Corporate Rate"...what the !#$!@# is a Corporate rate? Eh, I work for a company, that's me, right? wink.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Well, I'm at the Carriage House. It's only $75.00 per night. I spoke with the owner, she thinks the chains charge too much. Nice sentiment in my book. Anyway she says it's right across the street from the camp ground.

Mark

No $hit! Nice lady, super friendly. Booked there. She wanted to know the plans for the event BTW, if there isn't going to be breakfast one morning, for example, she wanted to have some stuff on hand for us!

Only "quirk" is that she only takes cash/check not credit cards.

Here's the skinny on the Carriage House:

The motel itself is across the street from the Ponderosa.

They also have 3 guest houses about 7 blocks from the motel. They are actual houses the motel owns. These sleep 4-6 people and rent for $150/night.

They have 15 rooms left at this point. (Apparently 10 have already been snarfed up by our folks.) The rooms vary.

Double bed: $50

Queen bed: $65

Queen and double: $75

There is one suite with 2 rooms and bath for $90 and another with 3 rooms for $110.

There are no group rates available since their rates are already the best I've seen so far.

Verna is the very nice hostess.

doc

Where's your Alpen Dorf NAAAOOOWWW?

HE HE HE...I AM AN ALPEN DORF SURVIVOR!!! And I now can handle anything!!!!

Carriage House:

I got a room for the SO and I, $65/per eve. Arriving Sun evening, leaving Thurs. morning. The nice lady @ the Carriage House even gave me a great route to get from Spearfish to Cody. I LOVE a local route given by a person in the area. She is a very friendly person.

BTW, not only are we right across from the Rally Site....We are right by the Dairy Queen grin.gifgrin.gif!!!!

A foot of snow coming this weekend, but I could care less...I have a trip to dream about.

BTW, this will be Barb's (the SO) first "long distance" rally, she's really pumped for it also!

Can't wait to meet some more of you guys.

See ya, bye grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Just booked at the Carriage House.

Lady said she was half full for those dates.

Forgot to ask if she keeps goats in the back yard, so not sure if it will be as nice as the Alpen Dorf. wink.gif

Hehe. Well, I just shifted to the Carriage House.

Me: I'd like to make a reservation.

Her: Let me guess? Sometime in mid-July?

Greg

Jana & I are IN at the Irma, $115+tax/night for one bed in a "Historical" room. 0.8 miles from the Ponderosa Campground. Two flights of stairs from the bar. grin.gif

todaya_copy.jpg

See you in July!

Forgot to ask if she keeps goats in the back yard, so not sure if it will be as nice as the Alpen Dorf. wink.gif

I just spoke with Verna and made my reservations. No goats, or buffalo for that matter, in the back yard. Just some horsepower in the parking lot. But you better watch out for those snakes, Gary crazy.gif

Mark,

And all you other Alpen Dorf survivors (me included) making "sight unseen" reservations:

Seems to me we thought that the Alpen Dorf was gonna be a good place to stay when we made our reservations for the last UN! grin.gif

Hope we have better luck this time!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Thought I might give you guys something to chew on for...oh, about 8 months!!

Mark,

And all you other Alpen Dorf survivors (me included) making "sight unseen" reservations:

Seems to me we thought that the Alpen Dorf was gonna be a good place to stay when we made our reservations for the last UN! grin.gif

Hope we have better luck this time!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Thought I might give you guys something to chew on for...oh, about 8 months!!

Perhaps, but Verna has a personality and Lucky didn't.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
Perhaps, but Verna has a personality and Lucky didn't.

Yea, I got a good feel after talking to her on the phone. Also, in reality like I think Paul Mihalka once stated all I need is something, "just this side of camping," or words to that effect.

Mark

Forget the place and think about all the great guys who will be staying there. I'll bet the guys with the high priced rooms will be wanting to trade places and throw in a cash bonus. grin.giftongue.gif

Forget the place and think about all the great guys who will be staying there. I'll bet the guys with the high priced rooms will be wanting to trade places and throw in a cash bonus. grin.giftongue.gif

Absolutely, Marty!

I had a great time meeting some of you @ Un2, and am looking forward to meeting lots more of you next year.

Barb is looking forward to her first 1000 mile trip out there, and I am doing some planning to make her trip comfortable and enjoyably scenic! (let's see, Autocom and iPod or XM?)

Can't wait, but winter has just started! frown.gif

Marty, we will look for some level parking areas for you so you don't get messed up and park "nose down" again!

Maybe we can get you a reserved spot. grin.gif

See you guys out there, and I am sure it's a better place than the Alpen Dump.

I think I'll ride the R75 out to the MOA national, since all the big-bucks motel-camping top-heavy-RT riders will be in Wyoming. That'll make it lots easier to find a tent spot in Washington, I reckon. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This looks to be one of the MUST stops on my trip to the other coast and back next year. Baring mishaps and timing I hopefully will be there, just hope I can find a piece of ground to lie on.

Since i've just sort of started following this forum since the summer, i still kind of feel out of place... want to attend the rally, but want some idea what you intend to do over the three days of this event?

Don't know if im into packing up to camp it or motel it, how late can one hold of the decision to attend and still find reasonable accomodations???

Don't know if im into packing up to camp it or motel it, how late can one hold of the decision to attend and still find reasonable accomodations???

In terms of the UnRally itself, you could wait until nigh the last moment. But in terms of a hotel room, you're gonna be screwed. This is the high season in Cody, and it will be very difficult to find anything even months in advance.

Dear Santa,

I've been a very good...

Oh wait, I was responding to your post.

I'm sure the Hotels in the area will fill up quickly.

As Jamie mentioned above, the Ponderosa Campground is the UnRally Headquarters and we have reserved a couple of their camping areas. I'm told that there is ample camping space, so it's possible that you could wait fairly late to make your decision if camping is your game.

Of course there are many sights and activities to enjoy in the Cody area, but, as for the Un-activities , they are easy to remember. Since, for some reason, your screen name puts me in the Christmas spirit, I'll paraphrase an old "Chestnut."

" and so, I'm offering this simple phrase, to kids from one to ninety -two. Although it's been said many times, many ways, Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to You!" grin.gif

Yep, Leslie pretty much said it all, Santa. The Un-Rally emphasizes the UN. No vendor area (although there may be a few people with a few products here and there), no hanging around the rally site all day, no classes and seminars all day. There might be a tech session, if anyone feels like doing it. You might be able to find someone to help you work on your bike, if you really needed to (we tried to fix Mitch's rear shock last year, but it was pretty spontaneous, and we did it just for fun). Typical day will find you waking early, meeting everyone at our central location, hearing a few general announcements, joining a group of great people for a great ride of your choice, return to the base-camp, have dinner, drink some booze, smoke some ceegars, get some sleep, then get up and do it again. Or not. It's all your choice. But as Leslie said, ride, eat, sleep, repeat. The small size of the group (150-300) makes it very conducise to socializing with a lot of people. I doubt that you'll find a better group of folks anywhere. I may choose to miss the MOA in Spokane, but I won't miss the Un-Rally.

P.S. I'd like an Autocom, a new 'Stitch, about 4 sets of tires (including those new MEZ6s), some Held gloves; I've been real good, just ask anyone....(well, maybe not them)......

Dear phillyflash, it ain't like it used to be... Santa has taken a strong dislike to all the commercializm of Christmas... however if you've been good, maybe at the unrally he'll spring for a beer...

I have a double connection to christmas, first by the name , and then sadly because my birthday also falls into the Christmas season... nobody would ever come over for a birthday party. you wouldn't believe how many people could still screwup spelling my first name, so i've used the Santa association in hope that the basic english might help....

sounds like a good time, think i'll have to get my wife to authorize the "boy's day out permission slip"...

c.l.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
aTennesseebmw22

i JUST found out that I have leave approved from work the week of the UNRALLYIII. I am so excited. I read all the post about the rooms but I am planning on Camping, I took the tent and sleeping bag 1600 miles to the unrallyII and ended up sleeping in one of the "A frames" in the rear of the IRON HORSE, The camping gear never made it out of the waterproof duffle,(HAHA) and with all the rain that came to Eureka, I was happy for that. (no wet moldy bags and tent.) I bet I will be Happy to get wet in JULY if it rains in Cody this year. What do you all expect Temps to be out there that time of year?

Anyway ,I am ready to ride,woooooohoooooo. btw, mapquest states 1595 miles from Nashville, That is what I rode round trip to Eureka and back last oct. This will by far be my longest trip. cya soon....david.

Hello from Lander, Wyoming! Lander is about 160 miles South of Cody, so I will see you all in my back yard this summer!

Several people have asked about what to expect for weather, so I thought I'd respond from personal experience. We've had unusually hot and dry summers out here for several years, and it looks like the drought cycle is continuing but getting a little less severe. We had an early and HOT summer last year, with daytime high temps in mid-July in the low to middle 90's, with nights cooling to upper 50's to low 60's. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty common in the area in mid-July, and get more common as you get higher in elevation (which of course we all plan to do!). We don't typically get multi-day storms at that time of year, usually just a gully-washer in the late afternoon into early evening, then it clears off and is GORGEOUS. Cody sits right at the mouth of a canyon that funnels wind over the town, so be prepared for windy weather a lot of the time.

I've ridden the Sunlight Basin/Beartooths/Yellowstone and Tetons area many times and been rained on, baked, frozen, hailed and snowed on all in one day. Fun, fun fun! You know you're alive when that happens!

Some notes on the highways: An important thing to remember is that mid-July is the height of the Yellowstone tourist season so be prepared for ENDLESS lines of traffic. Most of the roads into Yellowstone from the Cody area have been recently rebuilt, so the asphalt is mostly good and traffic flows better now. The Sunlight Basin and Beartooths get a lot less traffic, and the asphalt in Wyoming is all new and just spectacular! The roads into/out of Cooke City, Montana is rough and narrow, but not for an appreciable distance. The highway over the Beartooths to Red Lodge is very good at lower elevations but gets narrow and rough up high (it's only open a few months of the year, so who cares!). I rode past an operating ski lift last year on July 4th, lots of folks up skiing their guts out! Can you get a Thule ski rack for an RT?

The roads IN Yellowstone have gotten a lot of work in recent years. The Northeast Entrance from Cooke City to Tower is in pretty fair shape, and very nice from Tower to Mammoth. The road over Dunraven Pass (between Tower and Canyon)is CLOSED for the rest of the year (this is a good thing - I rode it last September and it was horrid and very dangerous). Mammoth to Norris is fair to very good, and Norris to Canyon is very good. If you plan to loop into Yellowstone from the NE Entrance and get back to Cody, you will have to go from Tower through Mammoth (18 miles) to Norris (21 miles) to Canyon (12 miles) rather than the shorter loop over Dunraven. Then go south (through new roads and active construction) to Fishing Bridge, then out to Cody over Sylvan Pass and the East Entrance. The highway between Fishing Bridge and Sylvan Pass is all brand new twisties with stunning scenery (the East Fire got all the darn trees out of the way last year). Sylvan Pass to the East Entrance is old and narrow but OK (and gorgeous), then it's all new asphalt and twisties from the entrance to Cody. That is a LONG day ride in July traffic conditions, but it's worth every second of it!

To the East of Cody, the Big Horn Mountains offer lots of stunning views and great asphalt with endless twisties and low traffic density! There is road construction on Highway 14 between Burgess Junction and Shell, but it's worth the hassle to see Shell Canyon, the Medicine Wheel (Hwy 14A), and all that gorgeous country. To the south on Highway 16, there is construction just west of Buffalo and between Tensleep and Worland, but in between is some STUNNING scenery and outstanding twisty roads with great asphalt. I rode all this stuff last September and October and didn't spend very long at all in any of the construction zones, and they will have probably finished a lot of it by July 2004.

Happy riding, be safe and go fast!

Doug

Doug,

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of great people on the board, and get to meet many of them in July. Your knowledge of the area is going to be a great asset for the Unrally. I've ridden the roads around Beartooth, Red Lodge, Cooke City, NE Yellowstone, and the Bighorns many times, but you'll obviously have lots of up-to-date info on road conditions and construction. Look forward to meeting and riding with you in July.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm told that there is ample camping space, so it's possible that you could wait fairly late to make your decision if camping is your game.

Does that mean that if I am planning on camping, I still need to make reservations at some point in time?

Or will there always be room for "one more tent" in the tenting area?

thanks,

hank

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a liitle late to the party as far as the Carriage House is concerned. What is the latest word on alternative hotels where rally folks will be staying?

• 2 months later...

in the very first post KMG_365 last comment was with regard to

"We'll be posting instructions for your pre-paid registrations soon. See you in July!"

Please elaborate... also i haven't found anything yet regarding meal cost etc... has that been finalized? coming from across the boarder i will need to plan my cahs exchanges to cover this stuff, so it would be nice to know

c.l.

Just booked for four nights at the Best Western Sunset Motor Inn at $125.10 per night, which works out to $545.44, including tax (9%).

As of this post, they still had rooms. They can be contacted at:

307-587-4265, or at www.Bestwestern.com

TD

More and more I am really glad I booked early when the announcements for this UN were first made!

Carriage House

Across the street from the campground

$55 per night including tax (Its a "leeeeetle room", so don't get excited if you paid $75)

Suuuuweeeet! cool.gif

Carriage House across the street from the campground

$55 per night including tax cool.gif

Thank you for rubbing it in! dopeslap.gif