Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#11585 - 01/27/04 03:09 AM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: jim c]  
Flint Offline
Flint  Offline

Wyoming
Anyone who gets a chance may want to hit Thermopolis,Wy. for the hot springs that are there. You can either rent a bathing suit and a towel or wear the one you brought with ya but it is kind of interesting. The Holiday Inn has a huge wild game room with a bunch a stuffed stuff.
Flint

#11586 - 01/27/04 08:29 PM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: jim c]  
DouglasR Offline
DouglasR  Offline

Lexington, VA, USA
Well, I guess Ken H. said it, now that I've "revealed" myself the messages are flying! This is cool, I live in a large rural State where BMW enthusiasts are very rare (there are no dealers in the entire state, nor in Montana - I get service either in Salt Lake or Fort Collins, 300 miles one-way!!!). I did a poker run last Fall with six Japanese bikes, 75 Harleys and ONE Beemer! We rode from one bar to the next, duh! It is Wyoming, after all, we use bars as milestones out here in the Wild West. Don't need to do that again. I can't imagine 5000 Harleys in a pack, that's a recipe for disaster in my experience. I did Sturgess ONCE, that was enough! Drinking and driving is bad, but on two wheels it's just plain deadly.

Also, I totally agree, Veedauwoo is a must see! There are a number of cool hiking trails that take you into bedrock granite outcrops, a very neat area. I've spent 1000's of hours in there on my Montesa Cota trials bike, it's as fun as Moab, Utah! Pretty outstanding mountain biking too... can you put a Thule bike rack on an RT?

There were several questions about routes from different folks both East and West out of Cody for after the UnRally, so I'll respond in one posting rather than several:

From Cody to Spokane you have a thousand outstanding choices, but as always in mountainous areas you do a lot of riding around mountain chains and sometimes over them. While it's always scenic, it also means a lot of miles out of the way, and after cruising a jillion miles to get to Cody maybe your buns are tired. I hate to say this, but I-90 through western Montana and northern Idaho is actually not bad at all, pretty scenic and curvey and actually kinda fun cranking along at high speed. (It used to be even more fun before Montana had a speed limit, but it's still the nicest stretch of slab I'm aware of.) The area along I-90 at Coeur D'Alene is really pretty and actually curvaceous enough to be fun. So, I can't really recommend one route or another out of Cody to Spokane if your butt aches. If it doesn't I highly recommend going South through Yellowstone and touring through Grand Teton and Jackson Hole, one of my favorite places on this Earth. This puts you pretty far south of Spokane, but again there are a thousand gorgeous routes through western Wyoming and then up through eastern Idaho and Western Montana if you've got time. You can recreate Lewis and Clark's jouneys in part, that's pretty fun! Interstate 80 from Idaho Falls to Boise is just plain straight flat boring ugly slab, a must to avoid if at all possible! It's also really HOT there in July. From Boise north toward Spokane is very nice country. It's been a while since I did that route, so I can't offer anything current on road conditions.

I also hate to say it, but heading East from Wyoming gets pretty straight and boring too. I prefer I-90 or I-94 over doing time on I-80, much less tractor-trailer traffic. There's just no better way to cross the Great Plains States except at high speed. Further north is less traffic and (hopefully) a little cooler in mid-July.

More later, I'm sure! My lunch hour is over....

When all is said and done, more is usually said than done.
#11587 - 01/27/04 10:09 PM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: DouglasR]  
DavidEBSmith Offline
Eebie
DavidEBSmith  Offline
Eebie

Chicago, IL USA
(there are no dealers in the entire state, nor in Montana - I get service either in Salt Lake or Fort Collins, 300 miles one-way!!!).

Well, there is Big Sky in Missoula, but that's 500 miles from you, through Yellowstone, so it's not as good of an option.

But on a bad day, I'll bet it can take me longer to get through Chicago traffic to my dealer 45 miles away than it takes you to go 300 miles to Salt Lake or Fort Collins!

David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL * Chi-Town Crew
01, 03 smile 05 frown Iron Butt Rally
1999 R11RT Night Black * 1997 R11RT Sine(us) Blue * 1999 F650
www.davidebsmith.org
#11588 - 01/28/04 12:18 AM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: DavidEBSmith]  
DouglasR Offline
DouglasR  Offline

Lexington, VA, USA
I spent the longest year of my life in Chicago one month.... I'm a hydrogeologist (do environmental cleanups for a living) and spent a month (August!!) in South Chicago working on a NASTY Safety Kleen re-refinery in 95% humidity at 95 degrees, wearing Tyvek suits and respirators. I thought I was gonna die! We worked 12 - 14 hour days seven days a week just to get done quicker and come home! Stunning traffic. You can ride for miles out here without seeing another vehicle (or gas station, human, radio station, restaurant, motorcycle repair shop, cultural event...).

Life is just one trade-off after the other, huh?

I guess I didn't know there is a BMW dealership in Missoula, that's a long way from here but a much nicer ride! I'll look into that, thanks!

#11589 - 01/28/04 02:59 AM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: DouglasR]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Quote:

I-90 through western Montana and northern Idaho is actually not bad at all, pretty scenic and curvey and actually kinda fun cranking along at high speed.

Ok, I-90 it is! We'll probably do Cody to Spokane over two days. (Actually we're going to stay in Sandpoint, ID while at the national rally.) Where would you suggest would be a good fun place to break it in 1/2? Need to get those room reservations nailed down now you know!

Douglas, you're great for giving us these tips, I hope we don't all drive you crazy as July gets closer!

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#11590 - 01/28/04 12:06 PM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: DouglasR]  
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny
Marty Hill  Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Atlanta, Ga.
I've been to the store in missoula. Good folks and helpful when I was passing thru and needed a bit of help.

Marty
49 states/32 countries/3 continents

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus
#11591 - 01/28/04 06:50 PM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: Ken H.]  
DouglasR Offline
DouglasR  Offline

Lexington, VA, USA
Hey Ken! It looks like it's about 700 miles from Cody to Sandpoint if you take the most direct route, and Missoula is about 400 miles out. I've never stayed in a motel in that country, so can't suggest anything. If I were on a long ride all the way from KC to Seattle, I might be interested in staying close to the only BMW dealership in the region JUST IN CASE I needed something!

The only real service problem I have out here is keeping good rubber on the bike, that missing rear axle really throws most mechanics for a loop when they try to balance your new rear tire! Our asphalt might be good, but it's also pretty rough and really eats tires, especially if you are riding two up. I gassed up in Pinedale, WY last Fall and gasped when I saw steel belts showing from my rear tire (it was that high-speed run through Hoback Canyon that finally did it in, I think!), and I was 140 miles from home. That occasioned a minor heart attack and slow ride home, then I had to haul the rear wheel to the dealer in Fort Collins over the Thanksgiving break. NO ONE in this area would even touch it..... I got 6000 miles out of the rear Dunlop D220 when the belts showed up and most of those miles were ridden single and lightly loaded.

Anyway, even though we all know your Beemer is bomb-proof mechanically, it might be nice to stop near a dealer just in case, or maybe to get a nice BMW tee shirt from Montana for your collection!

#11592 - 01/29/04 07:49 PM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: DouglasR]  
bigmak Offline
Skating On Thin Ice!
bigmak  Offline
Skating On Thin Ice!

Vaderson, Washingon
Quote:

I spent the longest year of my life.... wearing Tyvek suits and respirators. I thought I was gonna die!

Got a suit to spare in case I have to sleep by OldRider again???

Regarding Lander and Medicine Bow, I guess I'm getting old enough that I'm getting the L words mixed up. That was Laramie we visited that hot summer night in 1970, out of the hills of the Medicine Bow range.
I had to check with Fasterpill, but we went through Lander on our way home from Gunnison through Yellowstone. Hot also. Tried to nap in the booth at McDonalds where it was air-conditioned, we later bunked up the road at Dubois. Fun town.
Since I hope to make Paonia again (take the bet Al), hit Cody, and set up in time at Spokane, trailering seems the best option. Thanks for the info.

Journey Well....
(and don't forget to pimp your ride)

www.bigmakmoto.com
#11593 - 01/30/04 12:46 AM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: bigmak]  
doc47 Offline
doc47  Offline

Kafountine, Senegal
Doug, many thanks for all the excellent input.

PEOPLE! This site is for discussion of ACCOMODATIONS in and around Cody. (Take a look at the Title: ACCOMODATIONS. Get it?) It is not for discussions of routes, rides, how to get there and the Dairy Queen in Lander.

In order for people to get the information they need without wading through extraneous stuff, let's please limit entries to ACCOMODATIONS. OK?

If a Rides, etc. string is needed perhaps David could establish one. Or those discussions could be in Ride Planning.

doc47
Accomodations Czar

I knew I'd end up disillusioned. I just thought it would be better than this.

#11594 - 01/30/04 12:55 AM Re: ACCOMMODATIONS SITE [Re: doc47]  
doc47 Offline
doc47  Offline

Kafountine, Senegal
Latest on Blair Hotels:

After much negotiations, an arm-wrestling match (3 out of 5)(I LET her beat me ......Honest!) and the sacrifice of my first-born, they are giving us the following rates:

Holiday Inn $109 1-4 person per room

Comfort Inn $119 1-4 person per room

Buffalo Bill Village $99 one bedroom cabin
$119 two bedroom cabin

If you have already booked and were charged more call them back, identify yourself with the code BMW, and you will be given these rates.

I knew I'd end up disillusioned. I just thought it would be better than this.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee