BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
#141444 - 03/06/07 05:34 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Jerry Johnston]
Killer Offline

Loc: Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

????

So I quoted the original problematic image and removed the Photobucket picture loading code and it works too! I wonder if the image has to be on Photobucket for a certain amount of time before it can be directly accessed. Maybe it is in their database as soon as it is uploaded but not available directly, I dunno.

Facebook
Flickr
Blog

#141445 - 03/06/07 11:42 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Killer]
Urban Surfer Offline

Loc: Surrey British Columbia Canada
Can't I resize the pictures myself and post them directly on the forum?

#141446 - 03/07/07 12:12 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Urban Surfer]
Killer Offline

Loc: Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

Can't I resize the pictures myself and post them directly on the forum?

Not exactly, you can make them attachments up to 75K. For a picture to show up as part of a post it has to be hosted somewhere, the most popular place is probably SmugMug.com but that costs $40 a year. Photobucket.com is free for a basic account but seems to have some problems as above. You could also make your own web site somewhere and host them there or find a friend who is willing to let you store some pictures on their web site and link to them.

Facebook
Flickr
Blog

#141447 - 03/07/07 09:56 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: jerseygeorge]
eruff Offline

Loc: Gainesville, FL
Quote:

Maybe some day we can just cut and paste in the picture!

I think cut and paste is pretty much already here. I think you have the hang of it, but for other folks who are stuggling like I did, here is how you can do it.

1. Start with the proposition that the photo you want to put in your post is displayed somewhere on the web. In your case your photo could be seen at imageshack at this location (this URL):

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nixienixie4si.jpg

(but the method works for any picture you see on the web).

2. So, get to the web page where the photo is. Now put your cursor over the photo you want to include in your post, like so:

3. Next we want to lift information off the web page about the exact location of the photograph on the web, not just the general address of the whole page you are looking at. Here’s how you grab the info: On a Mac (what I am using) hold down the Control key and hold down the mouse button while the cursor is on the photo. A pop-up menu appears and one of the choices is “Copy Image Location.” On the PC you may just have to right click. You should see “Copy Image Location” or similar words. It should look like this:

4. Click on “Copy Image Location.” Nothing seems to have happened, but you have just copied to your computer’s clipboard (your invisible temporary storage location) all the information you need about this photo.

5. Now go to the BMW forum and start to compose your post. At the place in your post where you want the photo to appear, click on the (light blue color?) word “Image” as indicated in the next picture.

6. A dialog box will open asking your to insert the address where the picture is. Already in the box is the following “http://” . It is already “selected text”. It looks like this:

7. You can delete the “http://” or paste over it. We will paste over it. All you have to do is hit Command V on the Mac or CTRL-V on a PC. You will now see (for the first time) the location on the web where that photo was and which you copied with the “Copy Image Location” thing in step 4. It will look like this:

8. When you click OK, the location with the proper “Image” tags will appear in your post looking like this:

9. Submit your post and you are done. Your photo will appear in the body of your post. You do have another choice, though. Instead of having the photo appear in the body of your post, you might prefer to have a word appear in the post as a link to the photo. That way, the person reading your post will have to click on that word to see the photo and when they do, a new window will open with the photo visible. Why would you want to do this? Maybe you want to surprise the reader whom you have led to believe will see one type of photo only to have a different, perhaps funnier photo pop up. Whatever your reason, here is how you do that:

10. Everything is the same up to step 5. Instead of clicking on the word “Image” click on the word “URL” instead like this:

11. You will get a dialog box similar to that in step 6, except this one will ask you for the URL you want to insert.

12. Again, paste the information on your clipboard with Command V (Mac) or CTRL-V (PC) into the dialog box.

13. When you click OK, it’s a little different this time. Instead of the URL appearing in the text of your post, you get an additional dialog box. This one want to know what text you want to use to serve as the blue link text in your post. It will suggest the words “web page” but your should type your own text.

What you type into this box will appear in your post as blue text which will change color to black when the reader puts his cursor over it and, when the reader clicks on this text, will cause a new window to appear with your photo in it. Type in some text:

14. When you click OK, you will see code placed in your post draft. If you look closely you will see your link text embedded near the end of that code.

15. Now click the “Continue” button to see the finished version of your post and observe how it will look to the reader:

16. You can edit your draft by adding some more ordinary text into your into your post after the code and the link to the photo will, as a result, appear as a link in the middle of a sentence if you wish; it doesn’t have to be the last thing in your post.

17. When you are happy, click Submit and you are done.

#141448 - 03/08/07 02:54 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Killer]
Jerry Johnston Offline
Beemer Afficionado

Loc: Spokane, WA , USA
Thanks much Bob, I wondered what was wrong. I'll play with it some more when I get some spare time. You're a gentleman and a scolar.

#141449 - 03/09/07 01:26 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Jerry Johnston]
Gpatrick Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Bay City, MI
Here goes!

First Putfile
UBB Code "Image"
[image]http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4928606[/image]
UBB Code "URL"
RaisingSteam web page

Second DomainDLX
UBB Code "Image"
[image]http://b.domaindlx.com/RaisingSteam/98%20BMW%20R1100RT%20ABS%20R%20640.jpg[/image]
UBB Code "URL"
Raising Steam Race Team Web Page on DomainDLX

This will tell if: Putfile or DomainDLX Work

And for how long

#141450 - 03/13/07 05:24 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Boffin]
Rusty1945 Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:

How to post a picture using Image Shack.
Image Shack offers free hosting of pictures on the web. It also has optional ‘bulk uploads’ available for a nominal fee. I use the latter for simplicity when uploading even single pictures. I use Irfanview to pre-size my pictures to 800x600 and use Jpeg quality 35. This gives files of 90-120kbytes at acceptable quality.

Once you have uploaded your pictures to the site you get a choice of ‘codes’ to use in various scenarios. If you view your pictures in ‘Thumbnail’ mode you see six choices in two groups alongside your pictures. The first group is ‘Embeddable code’ and has links to the full-size pictures. The second group is ‘thumbnails’ and has links to thumbnails of your pics, these thumbnails are hotlinks to the bigger pics.
I use the first group, ‘embeddable code’. I highlight and copy the first link – ‘Forums’ and simply paste this directly into the composing window as the code includes all of the UBB code needed.

Now submit your post and voila! Your pictures is shown in all its glory.

Perhaps someone else will post a walkthrough for using Photobucket or Smug-mug.

As always, no affiliation to any of the products or sites above, other than as a customer.

Andy

Well I tried this a few days ago and just could not make it work. I'm sure I followed the directions precisely, but then you never know. Is it possible that Image Shack has changed something and is no longer suitable for this use? Stumped in Virginia Beach

#141451 - 03/13/07 05:36 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Rusty1945]
Rusty1945 Offline

Quote:

Well I tried this a few days ago and just could not make it work. I'm sure I followed the directions precisely, but then you never know. Is it possible that Image Shack has changed something and is no longer suitable for this use? Stumped in Virginia Beach

Ok, I tried eruff's procedure above and low and behold it works - halleluhia!

#141452 - 03/13/07 05:39 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Rusty1945]
Rusty1945 Offline

Quote:

One more thing, on my WinXP pc, right clicking the pic gave me no option to "save location". So I clicked properties and copied the url from there and it worked fine.

#141453 - 03/13/07 06:44 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Rusty1945]
Boffin Offline
Our UK Ambassador

Loc: West Devon, UK
Quote:

Quote:

One more thing, on my WinXP pc, right clicking the pic gave me no option to "save location". So I clicked properties and copied the url from there and it worked fine.

Ah yes, imageshack has changed its default layout since I wrote that. As I still use the 'classic' setting I had not noticed.

Eric, thanks for that great illustrated write up.

Andy

Edited by Boffin (03/13/07 06:47 PM)

2004 R1150RT : traded for:
2002 R850R SE
1986 K100RT : sold
2013 Kawasaki W800 : sold
2015 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 EFI

"No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself." Alfred Lord Tennyson

Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26 27 >