BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14193 - 08/17/05 05:31 AM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: John Moylan]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Quote:

For instance, HERE you'll see me replying to a question, with a link to the post in question I'm looking for. Obviously it was there, as several people found it.

Today, however, it's a 'not found'.........has it 'lapsed' due to age off the server, or am I missing something simple? (I would wager most likely on the latter...... )

The simple answer is that unless threads are "kept" they will auto-delete at various times depending on the forum. For example Ride Planning is only three months or so, but Oilheads and Ride Tales, etc. are two years. The catch is that you can only search back as far as two years, so even if the thread was "kept" (by a mod or admin) unless YOU bookmark the address (or put it in your "Favorite threads" file), you won't be able to set your search parameters for longer than two years to find it again!

If you spend a good deal of time doing a nice write-up for a procedure like this again, drop me a note and I'll "keep the thread" from auto-deleting so that it'll be there when you go looking for it again.

I hope I've got that right--but I'm sure someone will straighten me out otherwise!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#14194 - 08/17/05 11:39 AM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: KMG_365]  
John Moylan Offline
John Moylan  Offline

Galway, Ireland
Jamie........aaahso.......I think!

Does this mine my write-up has gone, so. Even you can't find it?

Does anyone else out there have it bookmarked?

John

John M Co. Galway, Ireland 05 Road King Custom.....Loud Pipes Sell Tylenol! 02 R1150RT...like Elvis, has left the building.. 02 Aprilia Atlantic 500...nope, still here !
#14195 - 08/17/05 11:52 AM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: KMG_365]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
Quote:

I hope I've got that right--but I'm sure someone will straighten me out otherwise!

The only note I'd make is that you can actually search for things older than 2 years. Just don't specify anything in the "newer than" box and do specify something in the older. That's something I only discovered recently.

John, I missed the earlier note--did Jamie's explanation answer your question okay?

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#14196 - 08/17/05 09:38 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: David]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
One thing I have found with the search function is that only a finite number of hits will be returned. For instance, searching on any popular item such as tires with a time frame of newer than 2 years will not return all results newer than two years. Looking at the last page of the search results may indicate that the last thread was only 1 year old.
Searching again with limits set to newer than two years, but also older than one year will turn up additional results which were not returned in the original search.

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#14197 - 02/08/06 03:06 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: David]  
Global_Rider Offline
Global_Rider  Offline

Canada & the Alps
I've never seen a SEARCH function as totally useless as the one on this site.

You type in two words and it comes up with topics not even remotely related.

All the best, Alex Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page No fancy ego boosting certifications; just a lot of great rides and memorable experiences.
#14198 - 02/08/06 03:28 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Global_Rider]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

I've never seen a SEARCH function as totally useless as the one on this site.

You type in two words and it comes up with topics not even remotely related.

So learn to use it properly, put a + in front of each word and it will only bring up items that have both words. (The default relationship is OR rather than AND which I agree would be more useful)

#14199 - 02/08/06 04:08 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
Global_Rider Offline
Global_Rider  Offline

Canada & the Alps
Quote:

So learn to use it properly, put a + in front of each word and it will only bring up items that have both words. (The default relationship is OR rather than AND which I agree would be more useful)

Tried that and it didn't work...but I did find it by clicking on the member's name and searching on posts by that member. Go figure.

All the best, Alex Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page No fancy ego boosting certifications; just a lot of great rides and memorable experiences.
#14200 - 02/08/06 06:28 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Global_Rider]  
ghaverkamp Offline
ghaverkamp  Offline

Benicia, CA USA
Quote:

Tried that and it didn't work...but I did find it by clicking on the member's name and searching on posts by that member. Go figure.

You probably didn't do it correctly, then. However, it's impossible for anyone else to know, because you didn't give any details. The search functionality is only as capable as the user.

Greg
FJR1300
Burgman 650

I hate emoticons, and emoticons hate me.
#14201 - 03/05/06 04:04 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: ghaverkamp]  
Global_Rider Offline
Global_Rider  Offline

Canada & the Alps
Quote:

The search functionality is only as capable as the user.

Shoot the effing software weenie that came up with this Search engine.

Now using a Search engine has never been a problem for me on any other site...

So I do a search for "ADAC".

I get 133 results - the first one comes up with the word headache in a thread. Hmmm, how is "headache" and "ADAC" related?

Now did I put a wildcard in front and behind ADAC? I don't think so.

#14202 - 03/05/06 04:29 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Global_Rider]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
I have to agree with you here, even if you quote "ADAC" it still finds that sequence of characters within another word which is definitely not the correct behaviour.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4