BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14203 - 03/05/06 04:34 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Global_Rider]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
I just did a little experiment, a much better search is available, go to Google and try a search on this

site:bmwsporttouring.com ADAC

does exactly what you want, not only that, it reduces the load on this site's server.

#14204 - 03/05/06 04:49 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
smiller Offline
smiller  Offline

Asheville, NC
These are some great search tips. I have just one remaining question though... what's the best oil for my bike?

#14205 - 03/05/06 05:45 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
Global_Rider Offline
Global_Rider  Offline

Canada & the Alps
Quote:

I have to agree with you here, even if you quote "ADAC" it still finds that sequence of characters within another word which is definitely not the correct behaviour.

Good, so I'm not going crazy.

Thanks, I'll try using Google which happens to be my #1 search engine in the first place.

This search engine and Microsoft software...^%#*&$!!!

All the best, Alex Alex's BMW Motorcycle & Global Touring Page No fancy ego boosting certifications; just a lot of great rides and memorable experiences.
#14206 - 03/05/06 07:10 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
ghaverkamp Offline
ghaverkamp  Offline

Benicia, CA USA
Quote:

I have to agree with you here, even if you quote "ADAC" it still finds that sequence of characters within another word which is definitely not the correct behaviour.

Why not? It's the defined behavior.

Want to find just "ADAC" and not headache? Well, you click on the little "Advanced search tips" link that tells you precisely how to get that result.

Greg
FJR1300
Burgman 650

I hate emoticons, and emoticons hate me.
#14207 - 03/05/06 08:44 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: ghaverkamp]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

Want to find just "ADAC" and not headache? Well, you click on the little "Advanced search tips" link that tells you precisely how to get that result.

Spaces around the word inside a quote, that is bizarre. Greg, I think you will agree that there is a generally accepted method of specifying searches and this one isn't close. I've actually written wildcard expansion/search functions and never seen anything like that.

#14208 - 03/05/06 08:55 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
I'm going to do my best to refrain from using any phrase like "illiterate whiners" or something like that. Although if I were to summarize Greg's post, it would be " RTFM " if you get my drift.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#14209 - 03/05/06 09:09 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: David]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

I'm going to do my best to refrain from using any phrase like "illiterate whiners" or something like that. Although if I were to summarize Greg's post, it would be " RTFM " if you get my drift.

That's not a very productive post David, wouldn't it be a better board if the search feature worked in a more normal, standard fashion?

#14210 - 03/05/06 09:16 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
Quote:

That's not a very productive post David.

Of course it isn't productive. I didn't intend it to be helpful. Just like blasting the search function without even bothering to read the directions first isn't productive.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be a better board if the search feature worked in a more normal, standard fashion?

Of course it would be better, but what do you want us to do, rewrite the code? As a long term member, you know that isn't going to happen. We've said over and over and over again that what they write is what we get. Meanwhile, Alex's bitching about ADAC turns out to be wrong. That's what's funny.

We're completely open to helpful suggestions, but bitching about things we can't change is wasted effort. And especially when the bitching isn't accurate. THAT is what I find worth laughing about.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#14211 - 03/05/06 10:36 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Killer]  
Tool Offline
Tool  Offline

Bonita/San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:

That's not a very productive post David, wouldn't it be a better board if the search feature worked in a more normal, standard fashion?

Bob, I think the thrust of this conversation is that your comments should be directed to >>>The Complaint Department.<<<

Members here should try to remember that WE are customers, just like you.

Denny
Our Photos

"When a bird flies through an empty sky, it becomes less clear as it gets farther away, and we come to think of it as having disappeared."
#14212 - 03/05/06 11:47 PM Re: How to Use the Search Function [Re: Tool]  
Killer Offline
Killer  Offline

Wayne County, Utah, USA
Quote:

Bob, I think the thrust of this conversation is that your comments should be directed to >>>The Complaint Department.<<<

Members here should try to remember that WE are customers, just like you.

1. I wasn't asking anybody to do anything, just responding to Greg, I even addressed him in my post.

2. I spent an hour at UBB this afteernoon, they don't seem to have anything better available, I even had to use the same lousy search engine there. I haven't looked through the "code swap" area yet to see if anybody has a patch but I'm not inspired to bother by the responses here.

3. If there is an improved search engine would anybody be willing to install it? I'd only suggest that if it could be tested on several other UBB sites and was open source, supported by the UBB community.

I didn't get into this thread to piss and moan, I was trying to help.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4