IGNORED

Un Rally '05 Accommodations

Spike

Hey All,

We have the Unrally '05 website up with the accommodation information. We are not taking registrations yet as there are more details to be straightened out. However, those of you that want to make reservations and such to get your rooms reserved now have that information.

As usual if there are any questions please ask.

-- Spike

In! Dibs on one of the two tent spots on site 144. My tent sleeps two, if anyone really wants to risk that. grin.gif

Just let me know where/when to send the $7/night!

In! Dibs on one of the two tent spots on site 144. My tent sleeps two, if anyone really wants to risk that. grin.gif

Just let me know where/when to send the $7/night!

I don't know that we're going to be taking "reservations" as far as site numbers for camping. I'll let you know when the time comes (I'm thinking around March or so?) Our main concern was getting the hotel info out so everyone could start claiming rooms, just in case we need more than the 41 that were blocked.

Please excuse what maybe a dumb question but:

What is an "UNRALLY". Is this some kind of BMW-sponsored get together of many BMW riders?

Kevin crazy.gif

Please excuse what maybe a dumb question but:

What is an "UNRALLY". Is this some kind of BMW-sponsored get together of many BMW riders?

Kevin crazy.gif

If you do a search (be sure to change your settings to at least 1 year for posts) you'll find lots of info, especially in regard to the last one in Cody.

In a nutshell, The UnRally was established by BMWST.COM members as a national get-together, without many of the things associated with a regular Rally. No vendors, very little formal activities, no pre-established group rides or tours. Occasionally an impromptu tech session, if you can convince someone to do it. The intent was to expand our typical regional gatherings (e.g., Torrey, El Paseo, Mayhem)) into a national one in order to try to bring members from the entire country together. We wanted to bring the same type of feel to the national event as we had for our local ones. There are 3 major purposes for an UnRally, and if these are not your interest, it's probably not for you:

1. Ride - this is a riding gathering. Very few people hang out at the main site during the day. They're either out riding or visiting museums or places of local interest. Since there are no vendors, there's not much reason to hang around the main area during the day (unless you're recovering from a bad hangover, and then it's good that no one is around). Rides are usually organized after you get there. Hang out with a group you like, ask them where they want to ride that day or the next, and a ride is planned. Very simple. If you don;t know anyone, just tag along. You'll get to know lots of people very quickly.

2. Eat - usually one organized group dinner at the base site, or at a local restaurant, if they can handle us. Possibly a second one, depending on the desires of the organizers. Light breakfast (donuts, fruit, coffee) is a possibility each morning at the central point. Other meals on your own.

3. Socialize - evenings are usually spent at the central meeting point, usually a campground. There is a fair amount of tall tale telling, stinky ceegar smoking, and fine, aged alcoholic beverage drinking to keep most of us occupied. Mornings before riding are spent socializing. During rides we socialize. Any chance we get we socialize, as long as it doesn't interfere with riding, eating, drinking, or ceegar smoking.

Hope that gives you a start. It's always a great time. This is an event that is as good as you make it. Even if you're shy and don't know a soul, people will warmly greet you (they never know who might be bringing that fine aged Scotch). You won't meet a friendlier group, and they all have the same interest at heart. The true purpose of the UnRally, just as at our local/regional gatherings, is to share our love of riding with similar minded folks from this board, many of whom we are meeting face-to-face for the first time.

Edited by PhillyFlash
Thanks Howard!

Looks like you have to come a long way- if you attend.

Kevin

As of now I plan to be there. There are several of us from the western states who have plans to attend. I'll try to make this into a 2 1/2 to 3 week trip, visiting family and friends on the east coast and the midwest. Next year will probably be in a western state again, so start thinking about your 2006 vacation time. The first and third UnRallies were in Gunnison and Cody, respectively. Both towns are in fantastic riding areas, and there were many adventures getting there, going home, and riding the local roads. It's a big trip for you to go west, just as for us to go east, but once you get here, it's great. If you haven't ridden western states before, 2006 will probably be a good chance to correct that, and there will probably be several folks from your neck of the woods to ride along with. Come to UnRally IV and you may meet those folks.

Spike,

are there any nice mountain dirt roads?

Tons buddy, but I dont think the new bike will be appreciative of them as much as the RT was.

Think of it as a rally for the anti-rally crowd. If you like field events (vs. riding), vendor tents (vs. riding) sitting around (vs. riding), socializing during the day (vs. riding, vs. socializing at night) (starting to see a pattern here?), then the UN-Rally is un-for you.

On-the-other-hand, if you like riding great roads in great parts of the country with great people, well, then... See you there!

Thanks Howard!

Looks like you have to come a long way- if you attend.

Naw, relatively speaking, it's virtually in Howard's back yard. BMW miles/km are shorter than miles/km on other bikes!

Very good timing, looks like I'll be able to make it, and make a online geek gathering in houston on the way back, and see a bunch of stuff.

And take pictures. Lots of pictures.

June 1-24th I'm scheduling as "Tenatively Out-of-Office" right now. thumbsup.gif

Quote from Cyphergirl in another thread:

As a result, the planning committee will be providing all attendees with a souvenier BMWST Un-Rally koozie.

Cool!

Just make sure the koozies are tall enough for Guinness Draft cans! smile.gifsmile.gifthumbsup.gif

Mmmm... stouts... smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...