BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#244561 - 09/19/07 12:39 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: KMG_365]  
Tool Offline
Tool  Offline

Bonita/San Diego, CA, USA
"Tunnel of Death"???

I don't know, of course I wasn't there.

But I like this quote from Jamie's link:

Quote:

"Construction began in December of 1910 on the narrow gauge railroad tunnel, which measured just 13-foot wide by 12-foot tall. Work was finished in September of 1911. The only fatality reported was when a construction worker attempted to thaw frozen dynamite by setting it near a fire."

"Hey, the dang die-no-myte is FROZE again! Here... hold my grog while I thaw it out..."

"POOF!"

Denny
Our Photos

"When a bird flies through an empty sky, it becomes less clear as it gets farther away, and we come to think of it as having disappeared."
#244562 - 09/19/07 12:44 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: Ken H.]  
JustJean Offline
JustJean  Offline

Doyline,La U.S.A.
I was on the very back of the group, and I had the opportunity to look around before entering the tunnel. The road to the left of this tunnel makes it look the same but I could have swore there was a road across the top of the tunnel that was fenced off. Because I kept thinking why don't we go over instead of under! And this tunnel looks like it has lights in it. But the picture could Have been taken some time ago making the tunnel look different? Right as the tunnel ended we needed to turn to the right. It also seemed like the tunnel was close to the end of the trip because I remember my legs still being wobble when I stepped off the bike!

BMW F700GS (on wish list)

Life is short have fun while you can!

JustJean
#244563 - 09/19/07 01:08 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: Foot]  
dhanson Offline
dhanson  Offline

Doyline, Louisiana
Yeah, I think that is it also, and the map by Ken seems to back that up.

I learned a big lesson that day, LIFT your sunvisor before entering a tunnel, bout tore off my helmet trying to find the little lever to flip it up, talking BLIND here, pitch black!

14 KTM 1190 Adv

#244564 - 09/19/07 01:11 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: dhanson]  
JustJean Offline
JustJean  Offline

Doyline,La U.S.A.
http://www.wvcoalfield.com/dingess.htm

Closer view and the description is right on.

BMW F700GS (on wish list)

Life is short have fun while you can!

JustJean
#244565 - 09/19/07 01:32 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: JustJean]  
KTsRidin Offline
Ranger Kiddo
KTsRidin  Offline
Ranger Kiddo

Stafford, VA
Dang, now I feel like I got to head back out there and give the "tunnel of death" a try... when you know what's coming it doesn't seem so scary. But, um, that's the point isn't it

I still marvel at how you guys can find the most obscure places and then information on the net to back it up. I'm starting to think you all lack real day jobs and create these elaborate webpages just to back up your crazy tales I totally love it

Iron Butt Riding site - be a part of the insanity!

KT smile

09' R1200RT
07' F800ST (still available)
97' R1100RT-sold
IBA #404
#244566 - 09/19/07 01:37 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: Ken H.]  
weeble Offline
weeble  Offline

Princeton, WV
Quote:

Quote:

I think I found the tunnel of death!! I remember that we hit the tunnel after lunch in Lenore, WV. So I did a search on tunnels near Lenore, WV and found this: Tunnel of Death!

The turn off is on the left just like the tunnel we went through. Remember the car that chickened out there just in front of us.

Alan

Could be! The original route in yellow and a likely detour Jammie's group took through Lenore in purple:

The purple line wouldn't take you through the Dingess tunnel, but if you went through Lenore, Canterbury, Parsley, Dingess, and Shegon before hitting US 119, you *would* have gone through Dingess Tunnel.

http://www.feathermultimedia.com/West%20Virginia%20Tourism%20Gallery/pages/WVT0139.htm

Pictures 136 through 139 are of Dingess tunnel.

Last edited by weeble; 09/19/07 01:40 AM.
#244567 - 09/19/07 01:58 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: weeble]  
daveinatlanta Offline
daveinatlanta  Offline

Marietta Ga
How did the other "Un" riders miss this challenge?

Dave Current: 04 1150 RT Past: 05 Suzuki Boulevard, Honda CB750, Honda CB360, Honda XX175
#244568 - 09/19/07 07:09 AM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: daveinatlanta]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
Nice sleuthing, everyone!!

It's nice to know I'm not insane! 900 feet . . . HAH!! It turns out it's 3400 feet long!

And here's another review of this tunnel I found on another website:

Quote:

I live up in the northern panhandle of WV and have ridden every one of those roads except the dirt up Spruce Mountain. Yep, the whole state is fun to ride !!! TWISTIES everywhere !!!!!

If you ride along Rt.52 in southern WV and you are daring / want an experience you'll remember / and like off-the-beaten-path-backroads, try this! : Rt. 52 to Rt.65 to Lenore,WV [we had lunch at Cheech's Cafe in Lenore] ....turn rt.at the general store/gas station and go to/thru Laurel Creek WMA...then left thru the Dingess Tunnel !! This is an old railroad tunnel cut right thru the earth and rock, one lane wide, dripping water, bumpy, dirt thrown over the railroad tracks years ago, and is over 1/2 mile long !!! Pitch black dark ! You flash your headlight before going thru so you don't do a head-on with traffic coming the other way---your alternate taking turns in opposite directions. The "light at the end of the tunnel" is about this size of a dime held at arm's length. It's a long way ! Actually kinda scary.... You need to get your eyes adjusted to the darkness....my first time I rode thru I couldn't see a thing ! Then I learned the 2nd time (a year later) to close one eye before entering, then open that eye while closing the other for the first couple hundred feet. It worked! And of course, lift open your tinted faceshield !

Then you continue along a beat-up old road and over some narrow RR bridges with wood planks and end up going thru a beautiful, nicely paved section of Cabwaylingo State Forest. This will end at Rt.152, left/south back to Rt.52...OR right/north up to Wayne and Huntington.

This backroad loop can be taken on any bike (I did it on an FZ-1) but would be best suited for BMW GS's or Dual-sport's or other "adventure bikes". It's a hell of an experience riding thru that old tunnel !!!!!!

WEST VIRGINIA -- WILD AND WONDERFUL ON A BIKE !!!!

Link

See?? We're NOT just making this up, Kirsten!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#244569 - 09/19/07 01:07 PM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: daveinatlanta]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
Quote:

How did the other "Un" riders miss this challenge?

There was two groups (or was it three?) on that segment. One led by me, one by Jamie. Apparently Jamie found the magic of the "Recalculate" feature on his GPS and it took his group off the original planned route.

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#244570 - 09/19/07 01:42 PM Re: Attn: "Tunnel of Death" Pied Piper Riders . . . [Re: Ken H.]  
ElevenFifty Offline
ElevenFifty  Offline

Marietta, GA
WOW - only 407 NIIICE miles from Atlanta ... Haven't been to a 'Tunnel of Death' since the Tulsa County Fair of '76

Could you start calling it the 'Tunnel of LUV' ... that way I might could get my fair lady to do a fall weekend ride and have the experience!

'cloud hidden - whereabouts unknown.
'04RT - 152K and the prettiest girl at the dance
'05 FJR - 21K Holy **** what a motor!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike