BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#25986 - 04/12/05 07:21 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Tried to get into the old registration info from Cody Unrally, but no can do. Just wanted to count up how many registered from east of the Mississippi vs west. Someone else will have to do that, if anyone can still access that info, that is.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#25987 - 04/12/05 07:29 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
Rushman, do you have a link you can send me? I might be able to trace it from there.

#25988 - 04/12/05 08:13 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: David]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Colorado it is.

It's between Gunnison and Ridgeway.

I'll have some conversations with hotels, campgrounds, etc., then get back to you fine folks.

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#25989 - 04/12/05 09:21 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Ridgeway is pretty limited in terms of restaurants, but it does have a fairly large motel or two. I wouldn't call it the prettiest setting to be in. It's about 15-20 miles of straight road south to Ouray, and about 30-40 miles of mostly straight road north to Montrose, with a slow ride through town. Heading west, you start to climb almost right away, and that is the quickest way to get into some very good roads. East (if there is any way to head east) is for the GS crowd. Montrose is a fairly large town, with lots of motels, but I'm not sure where their campground may be. It is another option to think about, as it is between Ridgeway and Gunnison.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

#25990 - 04/12/05 09:23 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: David]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
David,
I just went to the archives, opened the UnRally 3 section, and looked at the first registration post. It had a link to click on to register, but it does not work any longer.

Here is the page.

Last edited by PhillyFlash; 04/12/05 09:32 PM.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

#25991 - 04/13/05 12:58 AM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
Les is more Offline
Mama Hoon
Les is more  Offline
Mama Hoon

San Diego, CA
Here are some rough numbers from Cody.

I didn't see your Mississippi dividing line before I looked this up, so here's what I was thinking.

I defined West as anything west of the longitude of Colorado, plus Texas.
Midwest, for this exercise, included the Great Lakes States and then down to the Mississipi River. Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi were included with the Eastern States.

Out of approximately 140 people at Cody, a dozen or so were from the East, around 20 came from the Midwest and the rest were from the West.

I'm one of those simplistic souls (note, I didn't say simple ) who doesn't get the reason for this conversation.

Build an Unrally and they will come . . . or not. Someone somewhere will always get bent out of shape because we didn't put the gathering in their backyard. Some people were put on this earth to whine.

The fact is it's a bloody big country and the geographic center of it is bloody boring to ride in. I personally love the adventure adherent to having it be a movable feast. I'm seeing a lot of the country this way.

As I recall, I heard mutterings at Eureka Springs about all the people in the East moaning that Colorado was too far west and the irony that the ones who cried the loudest, didn't show at ES.

The point being that it will never be perfect for everybody. Put it someplace beautiful with fun roads each year. Moving it around is not only interesting but about as fair as it's going to get. Someday people will understand, that sooner or later, an Un will come to a town near them or at least within 500 miles.

Leslie

Rebel with Menopause
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

T-Shirts here!

#25992 - 04/14/05 08:48 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
According to www.randmcnally.com:

Ridgway to Ouray: 10 miles (not bad)
Ridgway to Durango: 81 miles (spectacular)
Ridgway to Montrose: 27 miles (yawn)
Ridgway to Gunnision: 91 miles (yawn)
Ridgway to Moab, UT: 139 miles (awesome)

The 10-mile trip from Ridgway south to Ouray isn't bad (not too straight), but then Ouray to Silverton, and then onto Durango may be the most spectacular road in north America! A very nice KOA is between Ridgway and Ouray, about halfway.

Ridgway west on 62/145 up to the Gateway area is also very cool. This loops back around to 550 north of Delta. From Delta, you have a great trip down through Gunnison National Forest to 50. From 50, you have several options -- head back to Ridgway via Montrose, head south to Lake City, etc.

I'm not hard-selling Ridgway, but from the standpoint of having many different types of options, with different types of riding and views, it is great.

Ridgway does not have as many restaurants, but what is there, is very good, including the best Mexican food I've eaten. It has a great place for breakfast, and a few other options. It has a grocery, Shell and an auto parts store, as well. And, Ouray has many high quality restaurants, shopping, etc. The only reason I've decided not to put Ouray out there as a viable option is because most the hotels there are small, and their parking isn't great. We would need to use three to four different hotels to accomodate those who don't camp.

As far as amenities, Gunnison is better equipped. There is no question that the Gunnsion area is beautiful. I've not seen the routes from the Un in Gunn.

Did some of the routes from the Un in Gunn head northeast toward Aspen and Leadville? Breckenridge? Hoosier Pass? Independence Pass? Mt. Evans is cool, as it is the highest paved road in the U.S. (14,264 feet!).

Our group seems to be a fairly hearty bunch, except for those in northern California (just kidd'n ), so the idea of a 300- to 500-mile loop shouldn't seem outlandish to most.

If we want a known entity, "where everyone knows your name", then Gunny should be it. If we want to change things up a bit, giving everyone some different experiences, then Ridgway is it.

Again, I'm not selling here, but my logic with Ridgway is that it is different than Gunny, it will afford different trips that one may not elect to take from Gunny, since Gunny would be on the northern edge from a mileage standpoint. From Ridgway or even Ouray, we would be centrally located.

Either location, I'll be happy, so it doesn't much matter to me. I'll make the trips to where I want to go from either "home base". If I want to go have breakfast or Mexican food in Ridgway, then I'll do it.

I also want to do what is best for our group, as this isn't about me!

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#25993 - 04/15/05 12:14 AM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
Tool Offline
Tool  Offline

Bonita/San Diego, CA, USA

Denny
Our Photos

"When a bird flies through an empty sky, it becomes less clear as it gets farther away, and we come to think of it as having disappeared."
#25994 - 04/15/05 03:18 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Quote:

Did some of the routes from the Un in Gunn head northeast toward Aspen and Leadville? Breckenridge? Hoosier Pass? Independence Pass?

Yes, there was a loop that did this. It was awesome. 92 up through crawford and Hotchkiss, then 133 up through Carbondale, then on through Aspen, Independence Pass, and Monarch Pass back to Gunny. Fantastic loop.

Where's Hoosier Pass?

#25995 - 04/15/05 03:19 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
Quote:

Where's Hoosier Pass?

Somewhere in Indiana, probably. I'll bet it's just beautiful.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike