Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#25996 - 04/15/05 03:53 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: David]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Quote:

Quote:

Where's Hoosier Pass?

Somewhere in Indiana, probably. I'll bet it's just beautiful.

Funny man...

Hoosier Pass is just south of Breckenridge on 9. It is at 11,541 feet.

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#25997 - 04/15/05 08:05 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where's Hoosier Pass?

Somewhere in Indiana, probably. I'll bet it's just beautiful.

Funny man...

Hoosier Pass is just south of Breckenridge on 9. It is at 11,541 feet.

Aha, I have been over that one. On the way to Gunny in '02 from my sister's place in Boulder, and again last spring on the way to Torrey. Good one to string together with Loveland pass.

#25998 - 04/17/05 02:19 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
EffBee Online
Administrator
EffBee  Online
Administrator

SoCal, USA
On one level I sort of understand the reluctance to repeat Gunnison. But then again I also wonder if it worked so well for so many people to ride so many great roads, why mess with success. I would feel the same way if Un-7, 9 or 11 ended up in Cody. Just look at Torrey. Great people, great roads. Met them all and ridden them all. And I can't wait to go back.

At Un-Gunn there were loops that included 550 to Durango, there was a Lake City/Creede/South Fork/Sauguache loop which I rode with David, Flash and Cary. There were also loops that included Crawford (just went up there, bought the T-shirt and rode back), plus loops that took in the large aspen grove (can't recall the location) and other rides that included several of the passes. No one got to ride more than 1/3 of the mileage that was laid out. There were simply too many good loops to choose from and too many left to be done another day. And let's not forget that we were at something like 2500 members back then. We've tripled that, so 70% of current membership wasn't around for Un-Gunn.

We've got some property outside of Durango. I've done 550-to-Ouray many times. It's always stunning. But swinging west of 550 gets me into the Utah desert which I see plenty of going to Torrey. For me, the best riding is east off of 50, IN the mountains, and that's where I am heading. Having done Lake City/Creede, I want to get into the passes, go over The Divide, and get into the trees and altitude. For that I prefer an interior base, but Ridgeway will do if that's where all my friends will be.

I guess what I'm driving at is, if the best selection of good riding is centered around Gunnison, and we're not using Gunnison (or thereabouts on 50) because it's been done before, yet we're pretty sure the interior is where most people are going to head, all we're doing is making it more difficult for them to get there (not to mention farther for the eastern folks to get to home base).

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#25999 - 04/18/05 12:53 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: EffBee]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Quote:

I guess what I'm driving at is, if the best selection of good riding is centered around Gunnison, and we're not using Gunnison (or thereabouts on 50) because it's been done before, yet we're pretty sure the interior is where most people are going to head, all we're doing is making it more difficult for them to get there (not to mention farther for the eastern folks to get to home base).

I doubt another 90 miles will make much difference in riders' decisions on whether or not to attend ('cept maybe for Milton), but it will make a difference to all the day rides. On the plus side, it cuts out about 50 boring miles from the ride between Gunny and Durango if you're doing the Million Dollar Highway, but it kind of adds that in if you're doing anything else.

You're right, with four years having passed, Gunny would be a new, first-time thing for 2/3 of the membership. Also, after four years, anyone who went the first time probably wouldn't object to going back. I know I wouldn't.

#26000 - 04/18/05 03:40 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: EffBee]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

What would you guys and gals think about making the Un four official days, instead of three?

My thought is that if there are so many great loops that wind up not being ridden because of a limited amount of UnTime, then maybe one more "official" day might not be so bad.

Yes, I understand travel time and distances, etc., but for many, we take the full week off, anyway. For instance, even if I didn't leave Indy until Saturday morning, I could still be in Gunny by Sunday night. Same for the end of the Un.

Just a thought to ponder...

2016 R1200GS/WC
#26001 - 04/18/05 08:24 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: Tasker]  
PhillyFlash Offline
PhillyFlash  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Four official days may be a bit too long, depending upon how you look a it. If you are thinking 4 full days of Unrally, that would mean people arriving the night before (Monday afternoon/evening), and staying until the morning after (Saturday morning). I think we'd find that many people would only stay for 3 days, either getting there a day late, or leaving a day early. Cody was a little short for some of us, with most people getting there on Monday afternoon, riding on Tuesday, and the official ending on Wednesday morning. So several of us stayed until Thursday morning on our own. I think if it is planned for 3 full days, then many will probably show up the night before (Monday) and leave early the morning after (Friday). Then there is the choice to arrive earlier or stay later if anyone wants to. I think that is the schedule for this year's Un. It also gives people the flexibility to spend another night or two somewhere else in Colorado or the neighboring states before heading home.

Last edited by PhillyFlash; 04/18/05 08:26 PM.

Howard
'07 Titan Silver RT

"Got a motorcycle and a bottle of gin,
Ima go downtown see what I can get in."
#26002 - 04/19/05 05:45 PM Re: Location, location, location... [Re: PhillyFlash]  
EffBee Online
Administrator
EffBee  Online
Administrator

SoCal, USA
Howard's got it right. Making it "officially" four days puts a load on people because they feel they HAVE to be there or they might miss something. Three days is about right becuase you're going to spend at least on day (cumulatively) hanging around and getting to know everyone you can, plus two days riding. If anyone wants to hang around more than that, or wander off on a tangent on their way home, they've got the choice to do so, without pressure.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?
#26003 - 05/18/05 12:11 AM Tasker, give me a call [Re: Tasker]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
We're in Gunnison and checked out the KOA. The owner who bought it from the owners when the Un-I was there (who told us about the artesian spring in the middle of the tenting area) sold it the same year. The new couple who own it are just starting their second season and they said they noticed no trouble last spring/summer. The caterer is gone (he left when the previous owner took over, but we didn't get any details). There are a few renovations going on in the hotels motels right nearby and we may have a lead on a 38 room smaller motel which is in the process of being completely remodeled and purchased by the Days Inn right down the road (the other way). They have a meeting room and the Mexican restaurant on the premises also has a large room that we might be able to get for group meals. We're going to check out other hotels right nearby and go get something to eat.

Ridgway has only one hotel, 55 rooms, the guy was curt, no group rates and they sell out almost a year in advance. The camping is 5-10 miles north and 5-10 miles south of town, but there is very little "in town" either. It looks like just putting it in Ridgway just to be moving it from Gunnison doesn't make much sense. Cortez looked kind of neat, but you'd have to move the date closer to the spring or fall as it might get hotter than Gunnison. Plus, it's more out on a wind-swept plain--although the wind here in Gunnison is whipping pretty good too.

My cell is (619) 933-5832. Just wanted to see if anybody/Tasker had any specifics you/he wanted us to check out while we're here.

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#26004 - 05/18/05 12:25 AM Re: Tasker, give me a call [Re: KMG_365]  
David Offline
Proprietor Emeritus
David  Offline
Proprietor Emeritus

Nipper's Corner, TN
I gave you his phone number in the other thread.

Author, Speaker, Advisor, Troublemaker

David C. Baker
#26005 - 05/18/05 04:57 AM Time for an executive decision... [Re: KMG_365]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Jamie, thanks for your time and input tonight. The idea that you guys are willing to "throw yourselves on the fire" and "force" a trip in the spring through the mountains of SW Colorado says a lot! Not sure what it says, but it says a lot!

Our discussion, and your findings, have confirmed my instincts to go back to Gunnison for UN 2006. It makes the most sense, on every level.

With the info I have, coupled with the names and info you will pass on to me when you can, I will begin the process of nailing down the headquarters, if this decision is met with approval from the executive board.

While I have been pondering a ride out late this summer, maybe even coordinating a trip with Fall Torrey, I think it would be best to get out to the Gunny area sooner, to do some scouting of my own. I may try to do a long weekend out sooner than later. I get the sense that reservations and holds on blocks of rooms needs to happen now. The rest of the details can come together later.

So, Gunnison in June of 2006?

2016 R1200GS/WC
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike