BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2757 - 07/19/05 06:20 PM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: swmckinley]
ShovelStrokeEd Offline
MC Buffer

Loc: SE Florida
The real beauty of the Master Yoda position is that it can be practiced quite effectivly at a bar stool. In fact, those who yelp about it would benefit from that very thing.

Swim upstream in life, only dead fish go with the flow.

#2758 - 07/20/05 04:14 PM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: ShovelStrokeEd]
hANNAbONE Offline

Loc: Versailles, Indiana
Quote:

The real beauty of the Master Yoda position is that it can be practiced quite effectively at a bar stool.

ssED...i pRACTICE every chance I get..

2012 Black Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'
Versailles, Windy-Anna

#2759 - 07/21/05 12:16 AM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: hANNAbONE]
rdfrantz Offline
Master Yoda

Loc: Carlsbad,, CA USA
hANNAbONE, Benjamin Franklin said, "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Dick Fantz said, "MYRP is how you get to the good hotels to learn about God's Love."

Announcement:

"Services" will be held next...

Nonviolent Communication: www.cnvc.org
Compassion, Regard, Understanding, Connection.

2005 VFR800(Sliver) "Little Silver"

#2760 - 07/21/05 04:58 PM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: rdfrantz]
hANNAbONE Offline

Loc: Versailles, Indiana

2012 Black Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'
Versailles, Windy-Anna

#2761 - 02/12/06 12:19 AM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: SageRider]
rwehavnfunyet Offline
Just Joined

Loc: Fremont CA
Thanks for the great instruction. I'm getting back on a bike after 40 years and this will help reduce the unlearning.

If I may branch from your topic, you focus on the K bike's ergonomics and have ridden or are riding an FJR1300. I'm starting to look for an appropriate sport touring bike and wonder how you would compare the FJR, the K, and the RT in the light of the ergonomics you are describing...

I'm re-training on a Kawi ex500D9 and can sense some of what you are describing. My only problems have been from wind buffet at freeway speeds giving me neck aches. I have some martial arts induced calcium in the neck so I'm a little sensitive.

#2762 - 02/12/06 01:45 AM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: rwehavnfunyet]
rdfrantz Offline
Master Yoda

Loc: Carlsbad,, CA USA
Quote:

If I may branch from your topic, you focus on the K bike's ergonomics and have ridden or are riding an FJR1300. I'm starting to look for an appropriate sport touring bike and wonder how you would compare the FJR, the K, and the RT in the light of the ergonomics you are describing...

Sorry, FunYet, but I don't know your first name.

I was shocked to see my post show up, but happy too as I've wanted to update it. Wonder what that flashing icon next to it on the list of posts means?

Anyway, the history is that I had written a post, and also a magazine article about MYRP. Then, some folks expressed some distress at becoming comfortable, or having pains on the K1200RS. So I dusted off SOME of the items/facts/concepts and wrote it up in a way that would mostly apply to a KRS rider. Unfortunately, the K1200RS focus of the post causes riders of other models to "tune it out". That makes me sad because ORIGIANLLY, MYRP was put together to handle bikes with ergonomics like an R1100RT.

REALLY, MYRP is about riding ANY bike.

Bend torso at hip joint, no waist
Butt behind feet
Support with foot pressure from the BACK of thighs
Back with slight arch
Shoulders back
Elbows bent
(Forearms as closely level to ground as possible)
No weight on bars.

All that changes from bike to bike about THAT is torso angle.

Now, it's true bikes will have our feet in a range from fore to aft of optimal to lift our butts up at will. Seats will restrict how far for or aft we can move our butts to get the body CG over the feet. The distance from shoulders to bars will determine the elbow bend. But none of that change the PRINCIPLES of MYRP.

Cruisers don't seem to allow MYRP, right? WRONG!!! It's true one is unlikely to do it ALL. But benefits will be realized from WHAT YOU CAN DO.

Sport Bikes? They got foot peg locations that don't help. Bars can be hugely low and forward. BUT, we can keep our back arched, and bent at the hip joints. We CAN keep our elbows bent, and forearms level. Perhaps we'll LEAN ON THE TANK ALL THE TIME!!!

Do what you have to do to CONSCIOUSLY get as many of the PRINCIPLES into action. REGARDLESS OF BIKE MODEL. Uh... Please. Sorry, about getting so emphatic there.

FJR? The Torso Angle it calls for is half way between my K1200RS/GT and my RxxxxRT. In fact, there's a RANGE of Torso Angles available that spans from almost one to almost the other. That's a factor that makes the bike so pleasing to me. More upright and I'm happy across the same or longer distances than when on my RT. Facing curvy sections, I'm "Down, Forward, and In(side)" almost like on the RS - but without the neck strain to hold up my head, and my elbows are more greatly (comfortably) bent.

The only shortcoming to riding position on the FJR, to me, is the foot pegs would be more comfortable 3 inches forward, and that wouldn't impede anything about sporty use. As it is, it's more difficult than it should be to lift one's butt up (and thus provide support for torso erection). Also all else about the body in "normal" position, the toes are pointed way down. It can be very fatiguing to KEEP the feet above the brake and shift controls as one needs to do for long duration in traffic, an also SHOULD be doing in the twisties.

I do use bar-backs on my FJR. That allows a greater elbow bend that I like. Stock it was OK, but after their installation "something" relaxed and I felt much more tension free. It affected "all" my body. It was an experiment that bore great fruit - for me personally.

Best wishes to you all.

Nonviolent Communication: www.cnvc.org
Compassion, Regard, Understanding, Connection.

2005 VFR800(Sliver) "Little Silver"

#2763 - 02/12/06 09:18 AM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: rdfrantz]
Whip Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Quote:

The only shortcoming to riding position on the FJR, to me, is the foot pegs would be more comfortable 3 inches forward, and that wouldn't impede anything about sporty use. As it is, it's more difficult than it should be to lift one's butt up (and thus provide support for torso erection). Also all else about the body in "normal" position, the toes are pointed way down. It can be very fatiguing to KEEP the feet above the brake and shift controls as one needs to do for long duration in traffic, an also SHOULD be doing in the twisties.

You think it was easier to get rid of the shifter than move the pegs...and then link the brakes so you don't use the rear brake as much....LOL....See 2006 FJR autoshift and linked

Whip

Edited by Tool (02/13/06 11:11 PM)
We are spending more money than we have ever spent before, and it does not work. After eight years we have just as much unemployment as when we started, and an enormous debt to boot. H Morgenthau 1939

#2764 - 02/12/06 09:31 AM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: ShovelStrokeEd]
lexxol Offline

Loc: Venice, FL
Ed,
You've done it again. All through the land men will have a new answer to to the age old question, where have you been dear? I was with the guys, practicing the Master Yoda Position. Bless you Ed.

Lexxol
Venice Fl.

2004 1150 RT
1952 Panhead

#2765 - 02/12/06 05:04 PM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: lexxol]
cat0020 Offline
Newer Member

Here are pictures of my highway riding position between 85-125 mph..

I was able to stay comfortable holding that position for someone riding next to me and take pictures.. no signifcant weight on my arms, neck, nor back. My feet arn't even close to the rider's pegs, so that my knees are relaxed. With a rubber band on the throttle, I don't even need to keep my hands on the grips sometimes.
Just some little tricks I picked up on how to ride fast and still be comforatble from riding trips starting in Philadelphia, PA to Key West, FL in 22 hours, including gas/rest stops. I probably should have enter some Iron Butt contest, but it would be a waste of money IMO. I just ride to where I want/need to be, not to log miles on my bike for some trophy or recognition.

I'm a musician, I value my hearing more than most, I havn't gone to custom earplugs just yet, but with good wind protection/aerodynamics, the wind noise is also reduced significantly in your helmet.

As a cyclist since my teenage years, spending 8 hours on a bicycle saddle in one day isn't all that difficult to me. On a bicycle, you really need to know your body's capability and comfort level to be able to perform fast riding hour after hour. Some of that knowledge help me greatly in finding my comfort level on motorcycles.

#2766 - 02/12/06 08:39 PM Re: Master Yoda's Riding Position [Re: cat0020]
ShovelStrokeEd Offline
MC Buffer

Loc: SE Florida
While that position may be comfortable, it sucks in terms of bike control. Upper body is nice but with your feet off the pegs you will lose a lot of the ability to swerve the bike quickly and may, in fact, lose control if you attempt to do so. I own a VFR, R1100S and a Blackbird, all with similar ridng positions and have no problems with knees and keeping my feet on the pegs, even riding 700 - 900 mile days day after day. It's all a matter of conditioning.

Swim upstream in life, only dead fish go with the flow.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >