IGNORED

Change the brake fluid today

ltljohn

I changed the fluid in my brakes today. Boy was that easy. There is no rocket science involved. You just have to take your time and follow directions. It is a bit time consuming to get everything off the bike but bleeding them was as easy as non abs brakes. Just treat it as having 3 different master cylinders.

Changed the fuel filter too while I had the tank off. Just got back from a ride and it is time to change the oil now.

Thank to Keith (OoPEZoO) for the assistance!

Edited by ltljohn
Stan Walker

Just treat it as having 3 different master cylinders

You may have missed one as there are four not counting the clutch (which makes five). One by the front brake lever, one by the rear brake pedal, and two in the ABS/Servo unit.

Stan

OK 4 I forgot one when I wrote the post but I did bleed it. 5 counting the clutch.

Edited by ltljohn
I changed the fluid in my brakes today. Boy was that easy. There is no rocket science involved. You just have to take your time and follow directions. It is a bit time consuming to get everything off the bike but bleeding them was as easy as non abs brakes. Just treat it as having 3 different master cylinders.

Changed the fuel filter too while I had the tank off. Just got back from a ride and it is time to change the oil now.

and follow directions

Whose directions? Is there a .pdf procedure somewhere (including clear pictures) please?

Is Keith (OoPEZoO) available to come to OZ for a quick brake flush or is it printed information?

Cheers mates.

Linz smile.gif

thumbsup.gif

Of course I didn't do much except stand there and scratch the dog's ears......but it was a fun day. It was good to meet ya John. See ya next month at the BRR

Is Keith (OoPEZoO) available to come to OZ for a quick brake flush or is it printed information?

It is printed HERE

and sure......I'll come down to OZ. I've always wanted an excuse grin.gif

Here is a good set of instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

These threads will also help

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...o=7&fpart=1

I got the McMaster Carr catalog part numbers for the funnel and rubber stopper from FUGU, but deleted them, possibly someone will chime in.

Not sure how to order from them from OZ.

Best of luck, just take your time and follow the instructions.

Edit, Keith beat me to it.

Edited by ltljohn

I used the following McMaster-Carr part numbers on a 2004 R1100S ABS unit:

9545 K27 Tapered SBR Rubber Plug through hole size 2, 13/64" hole size ($6.60 for a package of 25 - I have 24 left over)

The hole was the perfect size for this funnel:

4005 T5 Polymethylpentene/cyclo-olefin funnel 8-1/2 oz cpacity, 4-3/8" top, 7-3/4" all height ($5.20)

Hope this helps!

Here is a good set of instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

These threads will also help

I got the McMaster Carr catalog part numbers for the funnel and rubber stopper from FUGU, but deleted them, possibly someone will chime in.

Not sure how to order from them from OZ.

Best of luck, just take your time and follow the instructions.

Edit, Keith beat me to it.

Thanks ltljohn, very handy and all good here.

Now, I'm wondering if the item mentioned in the thread link, "special order ABS "Bleed Plug" Part# 90886342541", is this a BMW genuine part and do I source it from my local BMW dealer?

Marin BMW was mentioned in the thread, is this only available from there?

Sorry for the constant questions but I have to ensure that I have all that I need before I pull the bike apart.

I gather I need the special part *and* a clear funnel which fits the special part "tube"?

Thanks in advance. If anyone has one complete for sale in perfect condition, I'm happy to pay sufficient to make it worthwhile..

Cheers,

Linz smile.gif

Questions are no problem. I asked lots myself now it is time for me to answer them. You do not need the special plug. You use the rubber plug and a funnel on the ABS reservoirs.

Here are the parts you need.

Order the following from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)

4005T5 1 Each Quick-drain Clear Polymethylpentene Funnel, 8 Oz Capacity, 4-7/16"top Od, 7-3/4"o’all Height

9545K27 1 Pack Tapered Push-in Round Rubbber Plug, Through Hole, Size 2, 13/64" Hole Size.

You may have to increase the hole size in the plug but it is easily done with a 3/8 drill bit. Just make sure all the debris is cleaned out.

Questions are no problem. I asked lots myself now it is time for me to answer them. You do not need the special plug. You use the rubber plug and a funnel on the ABS reservoirs.

Here are the parts you need.

Order the following from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)

4005T5 1 Each Quick-drain Clear Polymethylpentene Funnel, 8 Oz Capacity, 4-7/16"top Od, 7-3/4"o’all Height

9545K27 1 Pack Tapered Push-in Round Rubbber Plug, Through Hole, Size 2, 13/64" Hole Size.

You may have to increase the hole size in the plug but it is easily done with a 3/8 drill bit. Just make sure all the debris is cleaned out.

Thanks for the information. I've ordered the parts and when they arrive, we're into the flush. Let's hope it goes as smoothly as yours did.

Cheers,

Linz smile.gif

• 10 years later...

I now also have 24 extra rubber stoppers from McMaster-Carr. :) I'd gladly send one to anyone who wants to pay for postage. But, it's not really cost effective based on USPS envelopes thicker than 3/4". Shipping's like $2.50

I was able to put the funnel in the hole with a little soapy water as lube. Funnel and stoppers were about $25.00 delivered today.