BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#364785 - 07/20/08 11:27 AM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: Firefight911]  
dhanson Offline
dhanson  Offline

Doyline, Louisiana
You'll have got to stop talking about Alaska!

14 KTM 1190 Adv

#364790 - 07/20/08 11:55 AM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: KMG_365]  
Draftermike Offline
Draftermike  Offline

Sedalia, Missouri
Count me in as long as it's in the United States.... oh heck, I'm in as long as it's on this planet.

#364807 - 07/20/08 12:50 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: dhanson]  
3Putt Offline
3Putt  Offline

Rockford, IL
 Originally Posted By: dhanson
You'll have got to stop talking about Alaska!

Alaska, Alaska, Alaska...

Anchorage 09

Tom
Rockford, IL

"Miles Happen"
#364812 - 07/20/08 01:00 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: 3Putt]  
JustJean Offline
JustJean  Offline

Doyline,La U.S.A.
I thing Maine is a better choice! A lot of beautiful scenery in Maine! Maybe zip over to Nantucket too!!! \:\/

BMW F700GS (on wish list)

Life is short have fun while you can!

JustJean
#364850 - 07/20/08 03:07 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: JustJean]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
Hey, the UN HAS to come east! Or northeast, Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine, or mid-southeast, northern Georgia/North Carolina/eastern Tennessee.
And if it is close enough to home for me to just be away a few days, I can do next year's western ride again to Torrey! \:\)

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#364860 - 07/20/08 03:24 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Twisties Offline
Boots
Twisties  Offline
Boots

Brookings, OR
Where was that drzep just went went... Newfoundland?

Jan

Sand Beige 2007 R1200RT "Flyer"

Blind Man Images on Facebook
#364880 - 07/20/08 04:38 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: Yeeha! Stephen]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: Yeeha! Stephen
Jamie,

I wish I had the Inclination, Time, and/or skills to put together the UnRally.

I think I would make the Pied Piper Tour itself, the actual Unrally.

I've often daydreamed of putting together a roving Rally, something akin to the Hot Rod Magazine's Power Tour.

The UnRally would be in a different town each night.

Start on one side of the Country on Day One and run to the other side for the end of the Rally. Or a partial run of the country anyway.

Cool huh?
It's a great idea--and very similar to what the Pied Piper is all about for me. My favorite part is how it makes a 2-3 day UnRally in one beautiful riding spot into a "movable feast" all across the country lasting for a few weeks and including more time with many more friends en route! We also had a BUNCH of wonderful newbies join up with us on the last Pied Piper and every one just fell right in and had a great time! We have SO enjoyed meeting our brand new "old friends" on the road and getting to know them better in such an unusual setting! As you know well and I'm sure the newbies would all agree: it's a very friendly, welcoming group here and once you've ridden together and broken bread together ITRW, it completely changes the On-line experience! \:\)

But the key to the UnRally is: it is what the UnOrganizer(s) and their team make it! It IS UnOrganized to a large extent when you compare it with a "proper" Rally, but when over 100 riders gather in one spot (especially an unfamiliar one) it's best if the UnOrganizer and their team do provide for the basic human/rider necessities to allow everyone to relax and enjoy the time together and the riding without having to worry too much about logistics.

How it actually comes together varies and being an UnRally . . . there are only loose guidelines of what has worked well before as well as a few "lessons learned" over the years. We've developed a nice data base of experience to draw on and with a good team to rely on the UnOrganizer(s) can do whatever they are comfortable with: do most of the leg-work themselves, just be a team manager, and make it as big or as small as they're comfortable. A lot of how it all turns out and the work involved depends on the site chosen.

A handful of us have been to ALL SEVEN UnRallies so far and I'm sure we all would agree: THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BAD UnRally! \:\)

They've all been very different from each other, but we've enjoyed every one and we make it our annual big trip vacation now. There is a time commitment to be sure, but don't let the skills part scare you off!

David asked us if we were interested in UnOrganizing UnRally-III at the UnRally-II in Eureka Springs and we eagerly accepted. We put together a fantastic team, worked our butts off (oh, I'm sure I need to Pre-Run our potential site in Cody, Wyoming, honey . . . just to make sure it's going to work! ;) ) and had the time of our lives! Now that the idea has caught on, Leslie has already had a few folks approach her requesting to do future UnRallies in various places.

The "habit" has been to move it roughly east-west every year or so . . . and Leslie's already started the process to find the UnOrganizer for next year's festivities, so stay tuned for future developments and start planting whatever seeds you need to get a block of time off next year!

We're already UnPlanning on another Pied Piper Run to get there and as soon as our UnRally-VIII UnOrganizer announces the dates and location the logistics of the UnRouting can start in earnest!

Wooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#365149 - 07/21/08 03:03 AM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: Huzband]  
gordiet Offline
gordiet  Offline

Washington State and Arizona s...
Well I have never done one but it sounds like fun. Count me in!
Gordie Thomas, Ferndale Washington

#366104 - 07/22/08 11:44 PM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: gordiet]  
Tetz Offline
Tetz  Offline

Midwest
I was told it was going to be in Tennessee.

#366113 - 07/23/08 12:11 AM Re: Who's in for a Pied Piper Run to the next UnRa [Re: Tetz]  
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs Offline
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs  Offline

Portland, OR
 Originally Posted By: Tetz
I was told it was going to be in Tennessee.

The Tennesseeians have stated their case, but as of yet no proclamations have been made by Mama Hoon.

Stay tuned. And it's not like I'm holding onto some state secret, I have no idea right along with the rest of y'all.

-Steve
'00 RT
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike