BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#364892 - 07/20/08 05:13 PM What would YOU have done differently?  
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs Offline
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs  Offline

Portland, OR
This is meant as a forum for constructive criticism. Please tell us what worked and what didn't, what you might suggest as an alternative for next time, regardless of location. I had a few private comments prior to the Un regarding the probable heat in the region. That's completely valid. What else?

We had 103 people for dinner and about 65 for breakfast. Maybe a Friday breakfast wasn't a good idea?

I'm really looking for the comments to help the next UnCommittee make next year's UN better than this year's. Please don't bash folks for being critical - it's the only way we'll grow. Besides, I'm a big boy and can take the heat. And, if you would rather share your comments privately, please send me a PM. I'll post the comment list but will absolutely keep your identity confidential.

I loved participating with the rest of the merry band of UnFolks yet I'm happy to hand off the UnReigns.

-Steve
'00 RT
#364894 - 07/20/08 05:20 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
Firefight911 Offline
Sparkle Farkle
Firefight911  Offline
Sparkle Farkle

Rancho Cordova, CA
I'll go first!

Is there a way we can hold a special class to teach me how to get out of a fire engine without hurting myself. Yea, yea, that would be a good class that I am sure I could learn a lot from!!!!

Though it can be difficult, I'd love to have everyone quickly round robin with their board name, real name, where they are from, etc. Makes it nice to see who is who, etc. During the dinner maybe.

Phil Challinor

'16 GMC Denali HD Crew LB Diesel
'16 Mazda 3 HB
#364895 - 07/20/08 05:27 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
hANNAbONE Offline
hANNAbONE  Offline

Versailles, Indiana
wELL - i'LL jump in...

I don't think I'll tent it again...too much of the action is hangin' around late at night at the motel(s). Dont' get me wrong, I was happy to commune with my tenting friends too - absolutely...Tenting this time was bitter sweet...hot as hec thru about 2:30 am then throwing everything I had to get comfortable...up thru 7:00am. WILD.

As I get older I long for comfort...hate sayin' that...but that is the reality.

As for the actual "UN"affair - I thought it was spendidly accomplished. As I've said many times before - Great Job, Weinersteve..!

Unless any of us have attempted running one of these animals...who would throw any stones. Certainly not me.

Good on'ya Steve-o

h A N N A b O N E
.F.O.G.Member & Friend of Signman & Paul Mihalka

2012 Black Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere'
Versailles, Windy-Anna
#364896 - 07/20/08 05:29 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
JustJean Offline
JustJean  Offline

Doyline,La U.S.A.
Well first I will say you did a great job!

It might be good to have the breakfast on the following Thursday instead of Friday since most people are trying to head out if they live a far way away. Also it might be good to know the lay out of the town you are in with relationship to the gathering spot for everyone so you can better pick your motel/hotel/campsite.

Otherwise being unorganized seems great!

BMW F700GS (on wish list)

Life is short have fun while you can!

JustJean
#364919 - 07/20/08 06:35 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: JustJean]  
Paul Mihalka Offline
Old Fart
Paul Mihalka  Offline
Old Fart

Sykesville, MD
Well it was great!
May be: Don't do communal breakfast or do it in a middle day of the UN. Who has to leave often leaves when the sun comes up - or earlier.
Designate a main motel, so we know where the parking lot party is going to be. So campers and other motel inhabitants will know where most of the folks are.
As Jamie said, there wasn't a non-great Unrally yet. John Day was on top with all the rest!
Steve, thanks again!

Age is a issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter... (Mark Twain)
Many years and 1 million (s)miles.

'05 R1200GS lotsa miles (sold)
'09 Yamaha Majesty - yes, a scooter
#364935 - 07/20/08 07:04 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Paul Mihalka]  
Yeeha! Stephen Offline
Yeeha! Stephen  Offline

Bedford, Texas
I didn't get to attend this year, so this about Un VIII.

If you have a Main Hotel/Motel please give them a Heads-Up about how "we" like to parking lot socialize.

The hotel in West Virginia kept sending Security around to break us up and it was before 10pm. Last time around they warned of calling the Police. Bummer...

Yeeha! Stephen
Deep in the Heaaaaarrrrt of Texaaaas
"Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie!" Miss Vicki 2002
#364951 - 07/20/08 07:35 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: hANNAbONE]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: hANNAbONE

As for the actual "UN"affair - I thought it was spendidly accomplished. As I've said many times before - Great Job, Weinersteve..!

Unless any of us have attempted running one of these animals...who would throw any stones. Certainly not me.

Good on'ya Steve-o
Every Un is different and every Un has been fabulous. But because a different constellation of people are heading it up and the location changes and time of year changes--how could they NOT be? I may have a unique perspective because I have been a CoUnOrganizer and have attended all seven up to this point, but EVERYONE who attended ANY UnRally also had a unique experience and has their own (potentially! \:\) ) helpful opinions. But I'm impressed again with Steve bringing this thread on--it really shows that Richard, "The-steel-balls-fairy" is NOT going to be leaving any presents under Steve's pillow any time soon!

And this is NOT about throwing stones, it IS about Steve's and everyone's desire to improve upon an already great event to help those UnOrganizers coming behind to have an even easier time making their event a rousing success. We're all still basking in the UnRally Afterglow (as "Bullett" so eloquently put it!), so some might think it a bit too soon to be nit-picking (Dude, don't harsh my buzz, Man! ), but this is still Steve's show and AFAIK it was his idea.

As good as EVERY UnRally has been there is ALWAYS at least one or more things to be learned. There is a separate "UnRally Planning Forum" for each of the previous UnRallies that the next UnOrganizer and their team get to read through to help with the "lessons learned" but there is a LOT of info there to wade through and as far as I recall, this is the first UnRally feedback thread actually solicited by the UnOrganizer! \:\)

Also, there will always be individuals who would want certain things certain ways: don't put it after summer break, don't put it in the heat of the summer, don't put it too far (or close! ) from my home, etc., but the other task of the UnORganizer is somewhat like "triage": do the greatest good for the greatest number and don't waste time and limited resources on trying to resuscitate the "non-salvageable" patients!

Steve already KNOWS this UnRally was one of the best--despite so many of his team winding up as the "walking wounded" (to continue the tortured triage metaphor! \:\/ ) so he should have no trouble hearing helpful feedback aimed at tweaking any few minor points for the GOOD of the order. So as others have already started, lets' keep it constructive and with an eye towards trying to make the next UnRally equally as AWESOME!

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#364982 - 07/20/08 08:32 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Firefight911]  
Huzband Offline
Huzband  Offline

Cowford, Fl.
 Originally Posted By: 1bmwfan
I'll go first!

Is there a way we can hold a special class to teach me how to get out of a fire engine without hurting myself. Yea, yea, that would be a good class that I am sure I could learn a lot from!!!!

Don't look THROUGH the step, look AT the step.

ExitSmart?

Danny

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#364996 - 07/20/08 08:52 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
SageRider Offline
SageRider  Offline

Minden, Nevada
First of all, Great un Steve! Thank you!

It seems to me that the single biggest issue that keeps folks from getting together is proximity of motel to campground. Having attended all unrallies except Eureka Springs, it seems to me that Cody was the best in that regard (literally across the street). This unrally at John Day I believe was #2 in this regard but was a long walk one way from the campground to the hotel that turned into the big gathering spot.

Also, I'll second the comment that to get maximum participation at a breakfast, it should not be the first or last day of the rally. Too many folks arriving late and/or departing early.

Michael
2010 Unrally IX Sierra Adventures Co-Chair
KE6GYC 2M/440
'12 F800-GS Trophy: (dearly departed)
'06 R1200-RT, Piedmont RED! (dearly departed)
'99 R1100-RT (dearly departed)
Minden, Nevada
#365005 - 07/20/08 09:09 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: SageRider]  
Huzband Offline
Huzband  Offline

Cowford, Fl.
Okay, I'll chime in as an UnNooB.

There seems to be an emphasis on the UnBreakfast. Why? I get the UnSupper, but why a big deal about a breakfast gathering? Considering this UnEvent is all about UnOrganization, I don't think so much effort should be placed on organized meals. One is good, more than that seems to lend itself to other, more planned, events.

Steve, I thought you, & your compradres, did a great job. (Well, except for that lame ass in Diamond Springs that tried to show us all up at the last minute. \:\/ ) Sure, it would have been nice if I didn't have to make THREE trips to the fairgrounds to get registered, but hey, if I had a D/S KTM, I'd have been right there with you, up in the hills, laughing my butt off at how much fun this area has to offer. Besides, after four long, hard days in the saddle, I NEEDED the exercise. So, no worries there, no matter the notes you got. Bad form on those folks. \:\(

Great job all the way around.

Danny

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike