BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#365551 - 07/21/08 11:38 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: SANTA]  
outpost22 Offline
outpost22  Offline

Eagle Point, Oregon
This was our first UN. First impressions were that it was just about perfect and better than we expected.

It would have been nice to have everybody staying at one place, but that would be a difficult thing to arrange.

We were really thankful for the name tags, since we had not met anyone there in person before. The Oregon BMW rally held in June in John Day doesn't (or didn't) furnish name tags when I attended it a couple of years ago. People there split up in rather "cliqueish" groups and not nearly as friendly or approachable as the UN attendees.

We were thrilled that as soon as we showed up for the UN at the fair grounds that Santa, Michael and Sagerider all came up to greet us. It made us really feel welcome and included. As "newbees" it went a long way toward making the experience enjoyable.

We would have liked it if the breakfast was Thursday instead of Friday, but only because some dumba$$ (me) scheduled a work meeting for Friday morning and had to leave Thursday.

Steve did a GREAT job and our hats and helmets are off to him.

What would we change? Really not much. Perhaps a local vendor of ice, food, sodas, beer, would have been a nice touch, but then again the store was 3 blocks away.

We hope to see everyone at Torrey as it will be our first time.

Ladies, if a man says he'll fix something, he will. There's no sense reminding him every 6 months or so.
'96 R1100RT
'06 F650GS
#365590 - 07/22/08 12:34 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: outpost22]  
Tank Offline
Tank  Offline

Brookings, OR
Well this was my 2nd UN, the first being in Gunnison 06'.
At Gunnison i camped an at John Day I camped.
I had a wonderful time at both
I hope to do it again
Thanks to the UN Crew for EVERYthing..........
What I should have done differently???? Well I guess I would get up earlier and ride more, I only saw half the roads on the maps....
What I would NOT change is the love I felt within the family that is us

Happy, Joyous and Free
Bill Iffert
BMW r1150rt 04' (sold)
BMW r1200rt 09'
BMW f-650 GS 01'
Ducati S2R 1000 07'
#365642 - 07/22/08 01:57 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Tank]  
bobbybob Offline
bobbybob  Offline

Charlotte, NC
I wasn't there but we did attend the WV-UN last year, and I have 2 comments re. future events.

1) Although we are gradually getting to know a few folks, its still, as Bruce stated earlier, sort of a "disconnect" when you read and converse with many in the forums, even feel like you already know some of them, but upon arriving find it difficult to "butt in" to what appears to be "old home week" for some of the folks (you felt like you already knew). Maybe it's my fault for not being more aggressive, but I think it would be a nice touch to have a few of the "old hands" volunteer to greet-upon-arrival apparent noobs or those who just seem "lost" (at dinner or around the tiki bar or wherever the gathering is) and introduce them to a few others--you know, "social lubrication".

2) Rides: again, perhaps some volunteers (who are not navigationally challenged) would post, the evening before on the "previously suggested" bulletin board, some rides they are willing to lead the next day, what time they want to leave, the "type" of ride it will be, and where to congregate...and a place to sign up. Again, this is a sort of "social lubrication".

Other than that, lets keep it as "UN" as possible. My 2 cents. And no smart remarks about the K-Y Jelly budget for the social lubrication.

Edit: BTW, the WV-UN was GREAT--thanks to Mark & Sylva!

Last edited by bobbybob; 07/22/08 02:01 AM.

Bob
2017 R1200RT-LC
2015 R1200GS
2010 R12000GS (gone)
2007 R1200RT (gone)
2008 KLR650 (gone)
2007 F650GS (gone)
2006 FJR1300 (gone)
2005 V-Strom (gone)
2005 E-Glide Classic (gone)
#365649 - 07/22/08 02:04 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: outpost22]  
Bullett Offline
Bullett  Offline

Brookings, OR
Hey there! We'll see you in Torrey!

Sharon

07 BMW R1200RT
59 BMW R26
12 Yamaha Super Tenere (for sale)

Apparently, a girl can have too many motorcycles! tongue
#366063 - 07/22/08 09:57 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
drswift Offline
drswift  Offline

Grass Valley, CA
Steve, again, great job, and hats off to all the behind-the-scenes committee members. For my first UN it was just awesome with some of my best day rides ever.

A few comments:
- I didn't think the distance from any of the motels to the fairgrounds was too far. (I definitely needed the exercise).
- The breakfast was a nice way to close the event and say goodbye to lots of folks at once. I wouldn't change it.
- Name tags (with large type for us old blind guys) are a must.

My only suggestions:
- include the lodging locations on the registration list so it's easier to locate folks.
- A big message board would be a great addition.

IMHO the bar has been set pretty high for future Unrallys.

Dave Swift
'14 R1200GSW "Woody"

#366080 - 07/22/08 10:51 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: drswift]  
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs Offline
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs  Offline

Portland, OR
 Originally Posted By: drswift
- A big message board would be a great addition.
Yeah, I dropped the ball on that one. Past UNs suggested the same thing and it just fell off of the supply list at some point. Agree completely that it would have been a good idea.

-Steve
'00 RT
#366284 - 07/23/08 11:43 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
dhanson Offline
dhanson  Offline

Doyline, Louisiana
Name tags was good, course I lost mine right off the bat, still have no idea how it got out of the pannier?

Walking to locations no problem, the central location is always going to be predominately determined by environment and conditions. This one, it was SHADE and internet, course it didn't hurt that Mama hoon was staying there! Evening sun on B W made it too hot to hang around the parking lot. We did spend some time at the campgrounds, but skeeters made it feel too much like home in Louisiana!

My blackboard was Jean, she seems to always know where/what everyone is doing!

The motorcycle and how comfortable you are with your choice also makes for a good turnout. I appreciate the comments on camping, as I always (THINK I) want to camp, but have no room for gear.

For Jean and I, we had a great ride getting to the Un-Rally, sort of a mini pied piper tour of YellowStone and some great backroads thanks to "Twisties" and "Bullett"

14 KTM 1190 Adv

#366423 - 07/23/08 04:59 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: bobbybob]  
KMG_365 Offline
LeftSpin
KMG_365  Offline
LeftSpin

San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: bobbybob
I wasn't there but we did attend the WV-UN last year, and I have 2 comments re. future events.

1) Although we are gradually getting to know a few folks, its still, as Bruce stated earlier, sort of a "disconnect" when you read and converse with many in the forums, even feel like you already know some of them, but upon arriving find it difficult to "butt in" to what appears to be "old home week" for some of the folks (you felt like you already knew). Maybe it's my fault for not being more aggressive, but I think it would be a nice touch to have a few of the "old hands" volunteer to greet-upon-arrival apparent noobs or those who just seem "lost" (at dinner or around the tiki bar or wherever the gathering is) and introduce them to a few others--you know, "social lubrication".

2) Rides: again, perhaps some volunteers (who are not navigationally challenged) would post, the evening before on the "previously suggested" bulletin board, some rides they are willing to lead the next day, what time they want to leave, the "type" of ride it will be, and where to congregate...and a place to sign up. Again, this is a sort of "social lubrication".

Other than that, lets keep it as "UN" as possible. My 2 cents. And no smart remarks about the K-Y Jelly budget for the social lubrication.

Edit: BTW, the WV-UN was GREAT--thanks to Mark & Sylva!

It's funny, but the idea of a group--ANY group--as being "clique-ish" always comes up no matter how hard the group might want to identify itself as welcoming and insist: "oh, we're not that way"! One thing that I've noticed is that much of that perception relies on the individual and can be overcome, but everyone is on a different place along that road.

One way I found out how this idea manifests itself is the assumption I used to routinely make that because a group of folks is talking animatedly, shaking hands, hugging, laughing and having a good time . . . that they know each other well and I would be seen as "butting in". I did this a lot in the early days of this group and was always surprised to learn that many of them had also just met, and when I "butted in" I was immediately in the glow. Yes, I caught on slowly . . . but I'm MUCH better now! I'm also very socially shy in new situations (though most who know me through this group would be shocked to hear it) but this group helped me to shed some of my "assumptions" and just jump in. Maybe it's a being raised on the Best-Coast sort of thing that makes this easier, but I also have to say that I learned a LOT about this way to go through life from Gleno. For those who remember the incredible outpouring of grief here on this Board at the news of losing him--even from those who had never met him or had only met him once--he was one of the best Ambassadors for this group I have ever seen. I have tried to emulate his "Bring it! Let's moto!" attitude to life, but it is a constant challenge for me--it was like breathing air to Gleno.

It never comes naturally, but I believe this group tries to go out of its way to be welcoming to everyone, but each of us is in a different place with getting out of our own shells and living that goal. Personalities all differ and chemistry can be fickle but I would just suggest that everyone just jump on in and we all can promise not to bite--too hard! You never know, you might just meet your next best friend! As welcoming and as friendly as Gleno was, I still remember him once bemoaning how big the board had gotten, how he didn't know everyone anymore and how it'd be nice to maybe close the membership at some manageable number so it didn't get too impersonal. I laughed and reminded him that Leslie and I were two of those newbies who he never would have met under that plan. I enjoyed watching the thoughts playing across his face as that idea set in--I think he even stepped it up another notch for the newbies after that! I have met some of the most wonderful people here who, while I consider them "close friends", are also relatively new to the board. People see us greeting each other at a gathering and simply assume we've known each other for years--sometimes yes, but frequently not. I also find that the on-line part of this community helps to break the ice for the first meeting and yes, nametags and the first night gathering pizza party help in that quite a lot! Then we can "flesh out" the personalities afterwards strengthening the relationships. I met a bunch of newbies on the way to last year's UnRally that if you saw us all together, you'd think we'd known each other for years. It's one of the great things about this place: if you just jump on in, you'll find the water's fine and you might also find some really awesome folks who get the whole "riding thing" and you don't have to explain yourself!

For a good intro to what I mean, check out Russell's excellent post about his first gathering here.

Cool_Jamie "KMG_365"
"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
"Maynard" "the Krebs Cycle" '03 R1150RT, black
#366460 - 07/23/08 06:58 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: KMG_365]  
tgregg Offline
tgregg  Offline

St George Utah
Thanks Jamie, I've been around for a long time but I am not very social by nature. I hadn't met many of you before but I want to comment: I was constantly greeted, welcomed, invited, talked to, included, etc at JD. Mostly I enjoy sitting with a book when I can get away as I do people for a living. I love putting faces with names and had many opportunities to do that at the fairgrounds. I was sitting in my chair reading Tuesday evening when Leslie came over and gave me a big hug. That was a terrific moment and demonstrated what makes BMWST such a great place. I hadn't seen Leslie for a number of years "CODY I THINK" but her warm greeting and welcome back was great. As I pulled up earlier Tuesday several of the Canadian contingent were greeting me before I could even get my helmet off. I have stayed in motels mostly over the years and when I do that people don't have much opportunity to be welcoming. Jamie is right on about the appearance of cliques not being what they seem. The last time I saw Gleno was Pahrump NV as I was packing to head home with temps in the teens. he came up to me and said "I think I know you, who are you?" I for one wish I did that to meet others better. I will remember that next time and push myself to reach out more.

Gregg Turk
AMA LIFE MEMBER
2008 XT 250 Yamaha
1999 R1100RT BMW
St George, UTAH
#368184 - 07/27/08 07:35 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: tgregg]  
bakerzdosen Offline
Dislocated Member
bakerzdosen  Offline

Dislocated Member

Provo, UT
Well, since no one else brought it up... Obviously my biggest complaint was timing. If the event is scheduled within two weeks of my wife delivering twins, I'm just not going to be able to make it.

'05 R1200ST
'03 F650csa (departed because of the ST)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike