BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#371233 - 08/02/08 09:54 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: KMG_365]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
I hadn't met anyone face to face last year until the Pied Pipers stopped here. What a great time Nancy and I had getting to know everyone (Cool Jamie even gave her first aid when she tried to slice off the end of her finger slicing onions.)

At the UN in WV, there were folks there that I wanted to meet but there wasn't enough time.

But I also can understand how a new participant may feel somewhat excluded, in spite of the best attempts of the "old timers".

Since I'm not shy, I just introduced myself to everyone. But others are more reserved and might not feel comfortable doing that.

I do assure you that old or new, you will have a great time at an UN and I'm looking forward to next years (Cody or Arkansas, either would be great for me!)

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#371557 - 08/03/08 08:31 PM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Bud]  
Huzband Offline
Huzband  Offline

Cowford, Fl.
While not what you would call an extrovert, I had a distinct advantage.

I was with Miss Congeniality, 2bmwfan, aka Jamie.

If you don't meet people when you're with her, you must have leprosy.

Danny

'07 R12GSA (Moose)
'10 530 XC-W Six Days
'90 RMX 250 (woods weapon)
'02 GasGas 280 Pro (Squirrel)
'08 Black Lab (Auto)
IBA #30344

#372568 - 08/06/08 12:34 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs]  
Ken H. Offline
Turtle Whacks
Ken H.  Offline
Turtle Whacks

Edmonton, AB Canada
 Originally Posted By: Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
 Originally Posted By: Ken H.
I liked the Friday morning breakfast, gave people one last time to connect. But maybe at a fixed specific time instead of a wide time window, to get everyone there together like the evening meal? And also it seems like $50 per person needs to include both to be a good value.

The $50 did include both meals...if you knew that and are making a different point, please clarify.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I know the $50 covered both. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that due to the low turn out, maybe the last day breakfast wasn't such a good idea after all. My (poorly made!) point was that two meals, the dinner and breakfast made the $50 a better value that if the breakfast is dropped in the future. (Unless the total price also went down of course.)

Ken & Donna H.
Doctor I need to learn how to relax faster.

If you want to ride tomorrow, ride quietly today.
Quiet is cool, silent is sexy.
#373053 - 08/07/08 01:02 AM Re: What would YOU have done differently? [Re: Ken H.]  
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs Offline
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs  Offline

Portland, OR
Ahhh, got it Ken. Briefly, I considered allowing people to opt in for breakfast, but decided against it for caterer planning purposes (I had to give them some idea of how many to expect). Money collection at the venue was something I didn't want to deal with either.

In addition, because the Fairgrounds organized catering for us, we were exempted from signing legal documents and/or posting a bond or showing insurance coverage. Really, we're not a bona fide organization, we're a large group of good friends. The only thing I did sign was a Letter of Intent and that didn't have any recourse against me personally, or the site.

So, seeing as how the Fairgrounds weren't getting funds for anything else and probably only had 20 tents, if that many, they had to be barely breaking even. So my requesting the two meals offset the legal paperwork they would have preferred.

This is more info than you originally requested but I want to share the process with everybody.

-Steve
'00 RT
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EffBee, Joe Frickin' Friday, Mike